Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR's II with controller can I cut in half for 4 Arches

Tunnel

I have CCR II with 2 ccr strips with a controller it comes with strips can I make 4 arches 25 lights each

how do I cut in half and solder ends back on any help thanks

Firstly be warned that cutting LOR strips will void your warranty.

Search You Tube for solder led strips for lots of how to videos.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, Tunnel said:

I have CCR II with 2 ccr strips with a controller it comes with strips can I make 4 arches 25 lights each

how do I cut in half and solder ends back on any help thanks

How far apart are your arches? You should have to cut the strips.  I did this last year but with 2 arches on one port and using S4.  I used PVC to create the arches right next to each other. You can "split" the string into 2 halves and control each half in the software, by changing the number of pixels to control at once. I'll try to look at the settings I used for the 2 arches tonight. You could replicate it for the other port to make 4 arches. I just didn't have room to spread out 4, so I went with 2. 

16 hours ago, Tunnel said:

Thanks tlogan

Sorry, I got home late last night. I'll check it tonight. I have to fire up and update the computer I use.

And BTW, I did mean you SHOULD NOT have to cut those strips.

OK, sorry again. I need to connect the Pixie to get the actual readings of how I did because I changed the Logical Resolution and wanted to get it right for you and it's still packed away. You still have to do some sequencing.

I wanted to have the effect of 8 light on each arch. That gives a good effect.  SO, The Ribbon has a logical number of 50 lights (150 individual pixels and you need to control a Red, Green and Blue together, so logically you have 50: 150/3). If you divide that in half, you have 2 sets of 25 "lights." Divide that by 8 and you get 3. But you can't change the logical resolution to 3 and 5 is too many. So I changed it to 2 (2x8=16) and that is your 8 "lights" of 2 logical pixels each.. So for one arch, you have 9 left over (25-16=9). The way I built the PVC for the arches, there is a space in between them that hides part of the ribbon, so you can't see those anyway. And there is a small area in the beginning of the arch and the end of the second one that also hides part of the ribbon.

In the sequence, I started on Channel 5 and continued through Channel 20 for Arch 1 and then continued with Channel 30-47 for Arch 2. This leaves a small gap at the beginning, and larger gap in the middle and a small gap at the end. No cutting required.

Maybe the photo will help you see how I built my 2 arches.

Screenshot_cropped.png.448540d30713ee954daba73f5fd4e91e.png

Edited by tlogan

• 1 month later...

@Tunnel Oh, I must have deleted it because I ran out of upload space. Let me try again...Sorry best I could do to get it small enough to upload again.

Screenshot_cropped.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NP.

And BTW...the reason it's dark on the far right side is that I didn't secure the end of the strip to the bottom of the pvc base. So over time, the strip start sliding back into the bottom of the left side of that arch. When I set it up and tested it, the right arch looked that same as the left arch. SO, lesson learned: secure the end of the strip to the end of the frame. 

• The topic was locked