Light-O-Rama Forums

pixie16 controller problems

Mscannic

So still working on adding my pixel arches - got everything to work great last week and set it all up to test my sequences - not sure what happened but controller isn't showing the red led light.  We tried to reboot it - but unhooking everything and just putting on power and holding down the reset button and it wouldn't work 10 of the 11 times we tried.  On one try it worked, flashed quickly then went to slow then nothing.  Thought we didn't see the light b/c I didn't have it hooked up to the network, so tried hooking up to network and nothing happened.  Hardware utility couldn't find it (and I had successfully had other controllers going to make sure comm ports etc were working fine but not hooked up on test when it reset).  Then I unplugged the pixie and tested my 1 and 2 controllers (with regular lights) and they worked fine.  Then plugged the network jack from the pixie controller into #2 controller and nothing worked.  Even lights on controller 1 and 2.  THat seems really odd.  Why would plugging in the pixie controller make the other two controllers not work?  unplugged the pixie controller from box #2 and they worked fine again. 

also when we plug in the pixie controller we see a small green light come on and it "clicks" but the red led light won't come on.  Then when we unplug it, we hear it "click" again and the green light goes off but I can't get the status LED light to come on. 

Not sure what i'm doing wrong (also the hardware utility can't find the pixie controller anymore when it was working fine last weekend).  Any help would be appreciated. 

What your “hooked up to NW” mean? 

How are you doing that ?

Could be as simple as bad cable.

Are you using  Red HS adapter?

How are you testing it?

Dif you  watch my video?

A litttle more details 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

As JR said more detail, Could also be a failed or flakey RJ45 jack. Inspect the pins with  a magnifying glass and see it any are bent or displaced. gently wiggle the connections and see if connectivity returns.

Work through it one controller and cable at a time and see is you can pinpoint the failure.

Edited by PhilMassey

hooked up to network - meaning I didn't originally have the pixie controller talking to my computer with the adapter (COMM7 and adapter - black one not red one - red one is on order but hasn't arrived yet!) and other end plugged into controller (so computer talking to controller)

So to rule out a bad cable we tested the black adapter (I want to call it an RJ45 but not sure if that is right name) network cable to another controller and it worked fine). 

Testing it by trying to use the hardware utility and locating the controller box - doesn't work; tested by plugging all three controllers in sequence (only third controller is pixie) and running a sequence that worked fine last weekend. So when all three are connected - none of the lights comes on.  If I disconnect the third controller (which is the pixie controller) my first two controllers work fine (meaning I am running a sequence).  I find it interesting that connecting the pixie controller makes all three not work.  Leads me to wonder if it is a network preference but then why would it have worked fine last weekend and why can't the hardware utility find the pixie controller).

I did watch JR's video and that is how I actually got the pixie controller set up last weekend!!!  It was a great step by step and a print out of the step by step actually made it in my official Pixel binder for future reference! 

Is there any reason why the red LED status light wouldn't come on but the Green power light does come on - could it be as simple as not having the Red HS adapter? 

One more thing.

Are all controllers Gen3?

Also the pixie controllers have a jumper that needs to be jumped next to the comm port. I am not home and can’t recall the number.

if that is not jumped. You will not have data from those ports. 

And  yes for anything more than testing all bets are off if you Ddint have a red adapter

JR

Edited by dibblejr

If you plugged the controller to the computer without either black or red adapter even for a second you can fry it.

JR

I will be driving in about 30 mins and will have time if you wish to call. Give me about 45 mins just to ensure I’m on the road.

Will send my # Cant remember if you have it.

JR

awesome thanks - I was going to pull out your instructions again and step through them again.  Maybe that will flesh out the problem.  I know there are so many variables....wish it were easier for us non electrical engineers...

The pixie is very easy but all rgb controllers require a little more to get accustomed to.

Feel free to text me if you would like to troubleshoot tomorrow or any day.

Text first to ensure I am available. I will reply either way.

JR

Pixie16 and a Pixcon16 are different beasts. Totally on the Setup and input connections.

(the strings are the same. Smart)

What are the other controllers (and their Gen #, Firmware)  Gen 3 and Gen 2 don't mix on the same network IF you (tick) use enhanced mode. Look at the speed charts. http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

Pixies want that Red adapter speed for shows (HU tests will run on the black), but you cant exceed the best speed / mode the of the weakest member of a NETWORK