Light-O-Rama Forums
PCRail

Sequence won't open String not Boolean

Here's what I did that led to disaster, sort of. I installed 5.3.6 and opened an existing sequence to try it. I quickly became confused by the Motion Effects window opening unexpectedly and sometime spontaneously reopening so I Uninstalled 5.3.6 and reinstalled 5.2.4. When I tried to open that same sequence in 5.2.4, I got a message saying that the sequence would not open because the srring was not recognized as Boolean. I reinstalled 5.3.6 and the sequence opened OK. Back to 5.2.4 and the sequence would not open. There was no bak file to be seen. I'm afraid to continue to try to work in 5.3.6 because I'm afraid the same thing will happen to any sequence that I open in 5.3.6 if I later decide that I want to revert to the earlier version for my own sanity. Any ideas?

Richard

You had this same dilemma in S4, you just got a nice message "This sequence was created in a later version...".

If want to stick with 5.2.4 and you don't have any backup of that sequence, please create a help desk ticket and attach a zipped copy of the sequence to the ticket. We will return a version that opens in 5.2.4. 

That said, you should really keep backup copies of you sequences and backup often. What if a drive fails or your PC gets a virus/malware???

Matt

Thanks Matt

Actually the sequence in question is a compilation I was starting to put together made up of sequences which I do have backups for. I just have to copy and paste a few times to get back .  I was surprised that there wasn't a .bak file for this sequence as there is for every other sequence in that folder. In the past, I haven't run into the problem of backward compatibility but I've learned a lesson.

The good news is that 5.3.6 solved the problem I was having with motion effects showing on shows generated for the Director.

Thanks again.

Richard