Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 latest version download issue

Inashesiwillreap

went to download the latest version of S5 (5.3.6) and having issues that I have never had before...

- after it has downloaded and you want to use the program, dialog box comes up and says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that's unavailable" and has me re-try the install (re-try doesn't work)

- if I choose to cancel the install, another dialog box comes up and says "Error 1706 no valid  source could be found for product Light-O-Rama. The windows installer can't continue."

I have re-downloaded the latest version of S5 numerous times without any luck. Same problem every time. I have a windows system that has worked in the past up until this version. I made sure my license was still applicable with this latest software version 5.3.6....it is. I am afraid to uninstall everything and re-do the download as I would lose everything I have, and have to re-do all my sequences, set-ups, etc. Looking for some help here!

thank you

You won't lose any of your sequencing or other Light-O-Rama data when you uninstall. And your download file is likely ok too. However, now would be a good time to make a backup, if you don't do so regularly.

Try this procedure:

1) Reboot your computer. After the reboot, make sure no LOR software is running. In particular, if the LOR Control Panel is set to load on computer startup, you will need to right-click on the light bulb icon in the system tray, then select "Unload Light-O-Rama".

2) Uninstall the current version. In Windows 10, this is done from Settings > Apps. In prior versions, go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features.

3) Verify that all LOR programs have been removed. If running a 64-bit version of Windows, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)". On 32-bit versions, go to "C:\Program Files". If there is still a Light-O-Rama folder there, delete it.

4) If needed, download the software installation file at http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/. Look for your version of software. The latest is at the top of the page. If you have trouble with the download, try using the 'Alternative Download' button.

5) Reboot the computer again and make sure you're logged in with the administrator privileges. Find the file you downloaded above and run it. Follow the prompts. When the installation is complete, run your tests and you should be good to go.

Matt

No need to delete everything, in fact don't. As Matt says If you haven't already done a backup, this would be a good time to backup all your sequences.

Matt,

I have had this issue everytime I update to a new version on my laptop (show pc). This started with Ver 5.3.0. I just tried unistalling 5.3.4 and tried to reinstall it with your instructions and it did not work. Same Error Message 1705

It updates fine on my editing pc, just chokes on the show pc. I looked up the "Error 1705" code and found a handy website listed below. From my limited understanding it has to do with the Windows Installer program not finishing (msiexec.exe). On my system it just stops almost at the end and does not go any further. I have waited a 1/2 hour and no go.  I end up closing the install with Task Manager. It seems msiexec.exe never closes correctly and prevents the next install from loading properly

After I close Task Manager, then open it again and manually End Task - msiexec.exe. Then I can install the new version, it will give a warning that an older version did not finishing installing and ask if I want to roll back the previous install, I answer Yes, and it will roll back the old version then install the new version and all is good until the next update.

Pics to explain this.

Capture3.PNG

Open Task Manger, with Control-Alt-Delete (press all 3 at the same time) Goto the Details Tab and scroll down until you see msiexec.exe. Highlight msiexec.exe and click the End Task Button, Close the Task Manager. Install the LOR update again.

You will get the Error 1705 message again, Click yes to Undo the Changes.

ThisCapture1.PNG

The install process will roll back the the aborted install and will now install properly.

Capture2.PNG

This is how I have to update my Laptop (Show) Pc. Here is the link to the Website I found for the Error 1705 message

https://www.trickyways.com/2017/04/how-to-fix-error-1500-another-installation-is-in-progress.you-must-complete-that-installation.../

Hope this helps.

Alan...

Edited by default

• 3 weeks later...

Matt - I executed your directions, and I still have the same problem. What is happening is that I followed your directions, got the latest version downloaded and operational, and did some work in Sequencer. I turned off my computer at the end of the night, and then the next day, it's back to doing the same thing when the computer boots up and is trying to run the Control Panel. It reverts back to what it was doing prior. It's like it completely forgot that it downloaded the software already. It automatically runs the Windows Installer again, and goes back to having the "Error 1706 no valid  source could be found for product Light-O-Rama. The windows installer can't continue" (default, the error is 1706, not 1705). And now I can't get back into the software, once again, without going through the download process again, as you (Matt) described.

Have you installed the latest Windows updates? I fired up the computer I use for both show and development after sitting turned off since the end of last season. I had an ongoing windows problem that wouldn't allow me to execute any programs on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen OR from the start menu. (I had a LOT of shortcuts that I shouldn't have needed on the main window.) Anyway, the first thing I did was install all the Windows updates. Low and behold, turns out MS Edge never installed properly and after the updates I was able to re-install it and everything works fine. The upshot is that I then downloaded and installed S5 and have been running with no issues.  

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:25 PM, MattBrown said:

You won't lose any of your sequencing or other Light-O-Rama data when you uninstall. And your download file is likely ok too. However, now would be a good time to make a backup, if you don't do so regularly.

Try this procedure:

1) Reboot your computer. After the reboot, make sure no LOR software is running. In particular, if the LOR Control Panel is set to load on computer startup, you will need to right-click on the light bulb icon in the system tray, then select "Unload Light-O-Rama".

2) Uninstall the current version. In Windows 10, this is done from Settings > Apps. In prior versions, go to the Control Panel > Programs and Features.

3) Verify that all LOR programs have been removed. If running a 64-bit version of Windows, go to "C:\Program Files (x86)". On 32-bit versions, go to "C:\Program Files". If there is still a Light-O-Rama folder there, delete it.

4) If needed, download the software installation file at http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-software-download/. Look for your version of software. The latest is at the top of the page. If you have trouble with the download, try using the 'Alternative Download' button.

5) Reboot the computer again and make sure you're logged in with the administrator privileges. Find the file you downloaded above and run it. Follow the prompts. When the installation is complete, run your tests and you should be good to go.

Matt

tlogan, thank you for your help....however, running the latest Windows updates did not change anything. This is so odd. So I followed MattBrown 's procedure. It works temporarily. I tried something new this time...followed Matt step-by-step. After the re-boot and install (Matt's last step) I then opened LOR software (5.3.6)...the sequencer opened just fine, and I began tinkering with one of my shows. I then saved, and closed out of it. Without turning the computer off, I then went back to the Windows menu in the bottom left of the screen, and tried to re-open S5 Sequencer again (and subsequently ANYTHING LOR-related, and it began trying to re-install the software again, and the same problem came up as I had originally spelled out in my post from August 14, 2019: (see below)

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, Inashesiwillreap said:

- after it has downloaded and you want to use the program, dialog box comes up and says "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that's unavailable" and has me re-try the install (re-try doesn't work)

- if I choose to cancel the install, another dialog box comes up and says "Error 1706 no valid  source could be found for product Light-O-Rama. The windows installer can't continue."

I don't know what to do at this point. What in the world would cause this? This is really frustrating.

On 9/1/2019 at 5:15 PM, Inashesiwillreap said:

(default, the error is 1706, not 1705).

My bad. It sounded alot like the issue I had. In googling "Error 1706 no valid  source could be found for product' it kept bringing me to websites that talk about a program from MS that deals with fixing Uninstall and Install Issues.

The page with a link to the program is located here. The download link is located about 3/4 of the way down the page. The download link will take you to a MS page. Try at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

default - I ran the Windows install and uninstall troubleshooter program, and it apparently found a issue whenever I unloaded the LOR software, which prevented the new software from installing properly (hence the install process automatically starting again whenever the computer was turned off and back on again, and it finding the "1706" error every time). I didn't necessarily cause the problem, but apparently this can happen every now and again with the installer. It fixed the problem apparently, as I re-installed the latest software again (11th time now), and there were no issues! I tested it by turning the computer off and back on again, and the LOR tray loaded properly, and it didn't run it through the install process again. Thank you for the suggestion, and I will keep this in mind if there are any more problems.

thank you, again!

• 3 weeks later...

Glad someone else got to experience this pain before me.. I did the update tonight/this morning and had the same error, had to uninstall and reinstall and it looks to be working good so far.