Light-O-Rama Forums

Setting up P5/P10 panels with LOR

JRB

I am looking into setting up a P5 or P10 tune to sign for my display. I’ve seen videos on how to set up and different ways to control it but no one seems to use LOR does anyone have a step by step video or guide on how to program/ set one up using LOR? 

I just spent the last week re-familiarizing myself with my P10 panel. I plan on using it with S5, have tested it and it works perfectly. I am using a colorlight card and the falcon pie player to run mine. It is hard to point you to a step by step until you know what hardware you want to use.

I don’t know very much as far as the hardware side as far as what drives it.. i have seen people mention using a PI and a beagle bone and color light card.. I just need something simple that I can run a tune to sign from and then grow from that knowledge to make something bigger later on..

I am running a P5 and a P10 matrix from LOR S5.  You will need to run Falcon Player (FPP) to drive the matrix.  When using LOR, the FPP installation will run in Bridge mode so it will appear to just be another E1.31 device.  Last year each matrix of mine was using a Raspberry Pi 3B driving a ColorLight card.  This year I switched to PocketBeagle with a PocketScroller.  Both methods work fine.  If needed, I can get you on the phone and walk you through it (did that last weekend for someone else).

Note BTW, that the video listed two posts above (if the video title is correct), is massively out of date.  FPP version 1.9 is WAY out of date and the installation procedure has changed substantially.  Version 3.0 came out not long ago and 3.1 is about to be released.

Ok great so seems like bbb is the easiest way to go. Now As far as the programming can I program something on LOR and put it on the BBB and it will run by itself or does it need to be connected to LOR and put in my sequences?

There are ways to do it directly on the BeagleBone.  However if you are running LOR, you just run it normally on LOR and the FPP installation just appears to be another E1.31 controller.  Easy.

As for FPP, you can run it on a BeagleBone or a RaspBerry Pi.  In either case, you use an attachment device (called a Hat for Pi or cape for BeagleBone).  The panels plug into that.  The other option as previously mentioned is to use a Pi to drive a ColorLight card.  That work very well for large arrays, but is overkill for smaller ones (like mine).  It also adds one configuration step.

Ok so I would just add another prop to my preview which would be the panels and for a tune to I would just drop in what ever I wanted on it for every sequence it seems like..

Ok cool just need to find a video on how to set up the BBB with FPP and then I should be good that seems like the hard part of all this..

1 hour ago, JRB said:

Ok cool just need to find a video on how to set up the BBB with FPP and then I should be good that seems like the hard part of all this..

You would do yourself a big favor by contacting my friend Jim (K6CCC). Not everyone gets that opportunity.

He will help you out as he stated.

JR

• Like 1

If you want something stand alone the HC-1 panel controller is very simple and great for a tune to sign https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32643418307.html The software for it isn't the greatest but it works fine for a tune to sign.  I used one of these for several years for a 3x4 P10 matrix for my tune to sign.  This would be much easier and cheaper than BBB, Pi, Colorlight etc.  The Matrix Pihat from CFOL is another option.   I used two of the Matrix Pihats last year and it was very easy to setup and worked great.  Lots of options out there