Light-O-Rama Forums

Other Hobbies

TitusCarnathan

40 minutes ago, Kapkirk said:

Yep, I had that affliction too, about 20 years ago, started with a Sig Kadet with a OS .40, a bunch RC planes later I was a lot quarter scale, even bought a trailer to go from meet to meet and transport. Then when the boys left the house I transformed into long range shooting. I still have a bunch of leftovers, a 4 Star 120 with a OS 120 and a couple combat gremlins. they haven't flown in quite a while. I gave away or sold the majority but kept  the 4 star cause of how easy and well it flew.

My wife says I'm a 10 year hobby guy and I think she is actually counting the Light O Rama times to see when I move to my next hobby, If I had a basement I always liked model trains and would seriously consider that, but in Florida no basement so I was thinking of migrating back to one of the old ones. Unless the wife gets her way and we move to Tennessee then that will be the course.

They are rare, but believe it or not, there are some homes in Florida that do have a basement.  And if you're having a home built, you can add a basement, cost will definitely go up as you have to build the home in the same manner Disney World did it with their underground tunneling system, build up the ground, then add the basement, build up the ground for the 2nd story, which is your main floor.  Believe me, it's been done and you can get a basement in Florida when or if you have your new home custom built, but you have to ask for it and specify how it should be incorporated into the blueprint for the build.   You just can't dig out the ground for a basement because of how high the water table is underground in Florida.  But if you can afford the cost, it can be done in Florida.   If I were to ever be able to build a home, a basement is definitely an option I'd want to add to mine.

Orville

Everything is possible given your willing to pay for it, I remember putting my first basketball pole in the ground when we first moved here and i hit water at 6 inchs, and that was 1 1/2  feet above street level, I real quick made note of the high water table here. I don't think I could afford a basement here. I don't believe many could.

5 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

Orville

Everything is possible given your willing to pay for it, I remember putting my first basketball pole in the ground when we first moved here and i hit water at 6 inchs, and that was 1 1/2  feet above street level, I real quick made note of the high water table here. I don't think I could afford a basement here. I don't believe many could.

That's why I stated they're rare, but there have been some folks that moved down to Florida that did it.  On rare occasion you might even find one of them for sale, but seems those rare ones that do have a basement tend to sell real quick too.

19 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

Yep, I had that affliction too, about 20 years ago, started with a Sig Kadet with a OS .40, a bunch RC planes later I was a lot quarter scale, even bought a trailer to go from meet to meet and transport. Then when the boys left the house I transformed into long range shooting. I still have a bunch of leftovers, a 4 Star 120 with a OS 120 and a couple combat gremlins. they haven't flown in quite a while. I gave away or sold the majority but kept  the 4 star cause of how easy and well it flew.

Lots of changes in the RC World.  I used to fly them all the time but with a 2 yr old, its getting tough to find time.  I'm down to 1 Helicopter and 1 Plane.  Plus moving from Orlando to Buffalo cuts the flying days in half.

Oh I know, i'll bet the electronics are near flawless now, my Futaba Radios are 20 years old now and I wouldn't trust them in anything that left the ground, my youngest son is big time into the RC hobby but I don't get to participate or see his cause he lives and works in Kuwait. He says the radio's are great and hardly ever fail. 20 years ago we had a glitch or two but usually no problems.

I remember when I got my first helicopter, I then started saying you want to fly helicopters just drive by the hobby shop and throw your wallet at it, dang things were constant maintenance, at least with airplanes unless you made a mistake they would last forever.

So you are saying my Cox Sanwa 2 channel (on ch 13, 72.4 mhz) from circa 1983 is probably death?  :)

[I even still have the servos and the box!]

Well Mike if you like your glider I would. I really need to get out in my garage and toss radios and servos and batteries, I will not fly them with with old electronics. I think most of my stuff is nearer 30 years old.

So many hobbies, so little time left!   I use to have 2 tons of silver coins and war time nickels until the slot car track opened it's doors.  When ever payday rolled around from my paper route, I would go to the bank and buy rolls of coins to sort.  I would have been a millionaire when the price of silver went up.   Here's a pic of  my mean machine that won more often than not.  I still have it.  It has a stock GE motor in it.  Of course gears had to be changed depending on what track we were racing on.

slotcar_s.jpg

Hey DevMike.  Do you still have the little frequency flags for your transmitter antenna so that fellow flyers didn't use your frequency!

And if you haven't tried the electric RTF's yet, they are much easier than gashing your fingers on the .049 (and larger) when they kick back!

Oh, one more hobby.  This is me grinding away on the 1225 Polar Express four years ago when it had to be rebuilt for it's 15 year ritual.  It's a little (a lot) larger than my "O" gauge version.  It's in Owosso, MI,  a short hop from here.  Spent a fair amount of time grinding away on the stay bolts of this beast.  You could stand up inside the boiler and I still couldn't reach the top.  It's really amazing what our forefathers were able to build in years past!  My wife and I use to be car host up until a couple of years ago, during it's Christmas visits to the North Pole.  This is the very same one used in the making of the movie "Polar Express" by Warner Brothers.

1225_s.png

1225_grinding_s.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Pursel said:

Hey DevMike.  Do you still have the little frequency flags for your transmitter antenna so that fellow flyers didn't use your frequency!

Yup.  Orange and White :)

1 hour ago, Dave Pursel said:

Oh, one more hobby.  This is me grinding away on the 1225 Polar Express four years ago when it had to be rebuilt for it's 15 year ritual.  It's a little (a lot) larger than my "O" gauge version.  It's in Owosso, MI,  a short hop from here.  Spent a fair amount of time grinding away on the stay bolts of this beast.  You could stand up inside the boiler and I still couldn't reach the top.  It's really amazing what our forefathers were able to build in years past!  My wife and I use to be car host up until a couple of years ago, during it's Christmas visits to the North Pole.  This is the very same one used in the making of the movie "Polar Express" by Warner Brothers.

1225_s.png

1225_grinding_s.png

Now that's a hobby you can really "get into".B):D  I'd love to see the inside workings of one of these old Iron Horses as many called them back then. 

Of all the hobbies posted, I think this one is the coolest and best one. 

Of course my love of trains has a lot to do with that and coming from a long line of family railroad workers helps. {Former L&N and C&O lines, now all part of the CSXT Railroad empire.}

Edited by Orville
Fix spelling and punctuation errors.

Nah, as weird as it sounds, I'd love to have a real steam engine that runs. Cost prohibitive of course and some place to make it go but hey, just a dream. I'd also like to have a cannon in the front yard but I think the POA here would have objections...lol but heaven help the zombie hoard if it ever happens :) 

5 hours ago, bdwillie said:

HO scale trains!, and photography of real ones!

I used to go out and do that all the time too, photographing and videoing real trains.  Alas, since I can no longer drive due to vision issues, nor do I own a vehicle any longer due to that, so I don't get to out trackside any longer and do that.  But I sure do miss sitting trackside watching the real trains roll by.

• 2 weeks later...

Beside Ham Radio KG7VC, Electronics, and long range shooting/reloading .50 cal, I also do woodworking that nicely dovetails with making props for my light shows.