Light-O-Rama Forums

Other Hobbies

TitusCarnathan

This kind of question comes up every once in awhile, but new people come in and others hobbies change. 
So I'm curious other than the madness we do that's called computerized lighting. What other Hobbies are you involved in? 

For me it would be Ham Radio, which has sparked an additional interest in building/repairing electronic circuits. 

Edited by TitusCarnathan

6 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Have you lit them up yet?

Still trying to figure a way to keep them on my house webs for Halloween.

For me it is long range shooting, FCSA (fifty caliber shooters association) 1000 yard shooting was my passion, a great friend of mine and I used to put match's on and compete. It's been a couple years now cause there is only so much money and at $7 a round it started competing with the xmas lights LOL.

Still have all my equipment and plan to shoot again, but ranges around here don't like the fifty cause of the noise and reputation.

Keith

High end home audio, still listen to records,  5,000 lps and still growing, open reel tape,  500 pre recorded tapes, plus on location masters I have made, six different tape machines Big Infinity speakers bi amped with Mark Levinson  electronics.  This is my 51st year in the high end audio biz and still love to listen, OH and ridding the harley !

• Like 1

Phil, it is a Infinity  BETA,  next speaker down from the IRSV  four towers  , 4 servo controlled woofers per side, front panels are bi polar , EMIT drivers my reference speaker for years

David

Nice. Kappa 9's here. Bought them in 1988 I think. Refoamed them myself in 2007.

Shame Infinity is just a " name brand" now. They used to make real speakers.

I agree, stared selling infinity in 1968 ,very first product Servo Statik   Arnie Nudell designer was good friend, his last design will be produced by PS Audio the AN3

Got a pair of Altec 605A (and a lot of lesser quality) that I got just after High School, Quad open reel (10") tape.

Used to Hang glide and downhill ski, race (SCCA) F production

By far, this is the safest :)

7 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

For me it is long range shooting, FCSA (fifty caliber shooters association) 1000 yard shooting was my passion, a great friend of mine and I used to put match's on and compete. It's been a couple years now cause there is only so much money and at $7 a round it started competing with the xmas lights LOL.

Still have all my equipment and plan to shoot again, but ranges around here don't like the fifty cause of the noise and reputation.

Keith

Now that’s something I want to do too but money talks and bs walks...lol. Largest I have are .375H&H and .378WM. I’d love a 50BMG but not enough funds to go around ☹️

10 hours ago, dgrant said:

Now that’s something I want to do too but money talks and bs walks...lol. Largest I have are .375H&H and .378WM. I’d love a 50BMG but not enough funds to go around ☹️

And just like a boat, the initial purchase was actually the cheapest part, hey its also just like this one too, one controller is always followed by another and one decoration is followed by another. I just now figured why the wife wants me to go back to shooting, maybe cheaper is what she hopes LOL.

And the feeling you get when you put a 750 grain bullet on target at 1000 yards is great, we all call it the 50 BMG grin, the first shot from a fifty for a new 50 shooter, their usually hooked by the one shot. And again like this addiction, the grin when the kids see your display whether the first or last time is also priceless. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

My primary other hobby is ham radio.  I also do some casual target shooting.  Biggest gun is a .444 Marlin, but my pride and joy is a Remington XP-100 bolt action pistol.

And I still have and like my Infinity Reference Studio  Monitors.

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

My primary other hobby is ham radio.  

I got into the hobby around the end of 2017, different parts of the hobby just amazes me.  Did you get the chance to get any of the SSTV images from the ISS in the past few days?  de AB3WX

32 minutes ago, TitusCarnathan said:

I got into the hobby around the end of 2017, different parts of the hobby just amazes me.  Did you get the chance to get any of the SSTV images from the ISS in the past few days?  de AB3WX

I got my ham license in 1977, so been at it a while!  I can't say that I have done it all, but I sure have done a lot with ham radio.  Parlayed that into a career - running a large regional trunked radio system.  I have copied traffic from the ISS, but not this time. I have several thousand logged satellite contacts and was even published related to doing so:  https://archive.org/details/73-magazine-2000-10/page/n37

• Like 1

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I got my ham license in 1977, so been at it a while!  I can't say that I have done it all, but I sure have done a lot with ham radio.  Parlayed that into a career - running a large regional trunked radio system.  I have copied traffic from the ISS, but not this time. I have several thousand logged satellite contacts and was even published related to doing so:  https://archive.org/details/73-magazine-2000-10/page/n37

Very cool.

JR