Light-O-Rama Forums

CR150D controller

don731

I have an extra CR 150D controller.  Will it work with the pixel bulbs on closeout sale? 

CL-CCB-BULB-100-BULBS-DRY-LOCATIONtrans_1x1.gif$25

Thanks!

4 hours ago, don731 said:

I have an extra CR 150D controller.  Will it work with the pixel bulbs on closeout sale? 

CL-CCB-BULB-100-BULBS-DRY-LOCATIONtrans_1x1.gif$25

Thanks!

Are you sure that's a CR150D?  The only 150 I could find was a CCR150.  Did a search for the CR150D and came up with no item found.

If the controller you have is an RGB Controller and outputs 12VDC to the dangles the lights connect to, and is an LOR Controller, then those CCB 100 count dry location bulbs should work with it or any RGB Controller that outputs 12VDC to the bulbs.   If it's a 5VDC output then, no they won't work.

5VDC output RGB Controllers dangles are 3 wire, 12VDC output RGB Controllers dangles are 4 wire. That's how they are wired in the LOR family of RGB lights.

Hope this may help.

Edited by Orville

No they will not work. The CR150D was the original CCR (ribbon) which was a four wire LPD6803 and was 12v. The pixels in the clearance section are the older four wire 2801 but are 5v.

All original LOR lights were LPD6803, the CCP's and CCB's were 5v and the CCR's were 12v.

Edited by Mr. P

5 hours ago, Orville said:

5VDC output RGB Controllers dangles are 3 wire, 12VDC output RGB Controllers dangles are 4 wire. That's how they are wired in the LOR family of RGB lights.

Not necessarily true. The original LOR lights were LPD6803 and were all four wire both 5v and 12v as they all had a separate clock wire. The new LOR lights are all 2811 which are three wire and 12v.

The fourth wire has nothing to do with voltage as it is the clock wire. In a three wire pixel the clock wire is removed as it is sent with the data.

1 hour ago, don731 said:

This box is marked 12 volts.  My original plan was to cut a CCR in half, and use it there.

CCR's are ribbons and they are 12v. The ones you mentioned in your original post are CCB's and they are 5v bulbs.

CCR is a term thrown loosely around here on the forums and can be confusing.

CCR = Ribbons

CCB = Bulbs

CCP = Pixels

Edited by Mr. P

On 8/2/2019 at 6:48 AM, Mr. P said:

Not necessarily true. The original LOR lights were LPD6803 and were all four wire both 5v and 12v as they all had a separate clock wire. The new LOR lights are all 2811 which are three wire and 12v.

The fourth wire has nothing to do with voltage as it is the clock wire. In a three wire pixel the clock wire is removed as it is sent with the data.

Just recall someone posted that info about 5V RGB being 3 wire and 12V RGB being 4 wire here in the forums some time back to note the difference in voltages of the lights.[And I thought it was one of the LOR experts that typed it, but can't say for sure on that.]  

So this answer is new to me as I was completely unaware that any 12VDC RGB lights were ever created in a 3 wire setup. 

And when I was looking at ordering replacement RGB lights for my controllers, that was the info also given to me as I had stated above.   Interesting to now find out that 12VDC are also in a 3 wire and when I ordered the extension cables for RGB, they were labeled by LOR as 3 wire are for 5VDC and 4 Wire were 12VDC, so that also made me believe that there was a definitive difference between the two concerning their operating voltage of 5VDC or 12VDC.  Alas couldn't used the extenders for the 5VDC RGB system because of [I think] voltage drop and length restrictions from the CCB100 controllers I have to the RGB strands.  So used them for another project for audio.

Learn something new today that I was totally unaware of.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:05 AM, Mr. P said:

No they will not work. The CR150D was the original CCR (ribbon) which was a four wire LPD6803 and was 12v. The pixels in the clearance section are the older four wire 2801 but are 5v.

All original LOR lights were LPD6803, the CCP's and CCB's were 5v and the CCR's were 12v.

You're correct, they are 5V.  I didn't realize it was 2 strands, I thought I had read the description info on them, but when I went to check, found out I only read the header and thinking it was 100 bulbs as one strand, not two, led me to think 12V,   Being legally blind has its disadvantages if I don't have the Windows Magnifier active to read the print underneath, so I missed the 2 strands of 50.  Sometimes text to me when it's two colors like that end up blurring together and I miss what's underneath it if I'm not using the magnifier to read things on my computer screen when online.   

Seeing I still didn't know what the original CR150D was and couldn't find any info on it, I still may have given a similar answer to my original post.

28 minutes ago, Orville said:

So this answer is new to me as I was completely unaware that any 12VDC RGB lights were ever created in a 3 wire setup. 

And when I was looking at ordering replacement RGB lights for my controllers, that was the info also given to me as I had stated above.   Interesting to now find out that 12VDC are also in a 3 wire and when I ordered the extension cables for RGB, they were labeled by LOR as 3 wire are for 5VDC and 4 Wire were 12VDC, so that also made me believe that there was a definitive difference between the two concerning their operating voltage of 5VDC or 12VDC.  Alas couldn't used the extenders for the 5VDC RGB system because of [I think] voltage drop and length restrictions from the CCB100 controllers I have to the RGB strands.  So used them for another project for audio.

Learn something new today that I was totally unaware of.

Voltage does not determine wire count, the Pixel Control Chips (IC) do. All of LOR's new CCRII lights are 12v and three wire as they are WS2811. All WS 2811 lights are three wire just as all WS2801 lights are four wire.

17 minutes ago, don731 said:

IMG_3220.jpeg.31d39c89e803fb56cedf2c6b0fd54e46.jpeg

Don, if that is a 12v, CR150D controller from an original CCR then none of the lights in the Clearance Section will work as they are all 5v.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:51 PM, Mr. P said:

Voltage does not determine wire count, the Pixel Control Chips (IC) do. All of LOR's new CCRII lights are 12v and three wire as they are WS2811. All WS 2811 lights are three wire just as all WS2801 lights are four wire.

Thanks for the info.

I thought the new 12V RGB lights LOR has were 4 wire that came with the new CCRII controllers.   Guess I'm going to have to go back and relook at some of these things since I had thought I'd read 4 wire and that the replacement 12V bulbs that I thought were marked for the new CCRII stated 4 wire in their description.    I've been out of the electronics loop too long.  Used to keep up with all this stuff, but it started getting more confusing with the new IC chips coming out for everything from these RGB Lights to Computers and home appliances.  

Going to have to be sure of which replacement RGB bulbs or nodes I buy when the time comes and I have the funds for them, so I make sure I get the correct ones for the controllers I have.  

Since I bought all mine used, I didn't get any instructions with them and did download some of the PDF files for the CCB100D I think mine are.  I know that mine are 3 wire, 5VDC and each bulb controlled independently, so I'm thinking these would be 2811 chip-sets?   Tried to look at the chip and the PCB inside the bullet nodes, but couldn't see any marking on them stating what chip-set they are.  Kind of difficult to see anything through the plastic casings and I looked at over 10 of them in several different strings with no success.

Here are some of the pixel types that I could find:

LPD6803 - 4 wire -  LOR original CCR, CCB, CCP

D705 - 4 wire 

UCS5903 - 4 wire

WS2801 - 4 wire 

WS2803 - 4 wire 

WS2811 - 3 wire -  Most Common and Current LOR CCRII

WS2812 - 3 wire 

WS2812B - 3 wire 

WS2812S - 3 wire 

WS2821 - 3 wire 

INK1002 - 3 wire