Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween on the last Saturday of October every year?

Orville

Just heard on the news today [Tuesday 07/30/2019] that an organization is petitioning the Federal Government to make Halloween on the last Saturday of October instead of the Traditional October 31 date.  Snickers says they are on board with this and will give away 1 million Snickers chocolate bars if the Federal Government will make the change.

What do my my fellow decorators think of this idea?

At first I wasn't sure about that, but then, on some years that would give those folks that do both Halloween and Christmas displays some extra day or days to transform from Halloween to their Christmas Displays, of course depending on Saturdays date, that could give only 1-2 days for transformation, but on some years that tear down and or restructure time into Christmas could be a good to 4 or 5 days for doing so.   It also would allow for more children to stay out later for doinfg their Trick-or-Treating since no school on the next day, although I don't think these folks figured those that attend church into the mix on Sundays.

So I like the idea and kind of hope the Federal Government does make the change.

Some of us may still keep our Halloween displays up through October 31, but I think this could be great for those that need a little longer transitional time to change over from Halloween to Christmas for most of the years this change occurred.

Just thought I'd toss this one out here and see how our fellow light decorators thought of this proposal.

Edited by Orville
Correct title and misspelled wording. wrong day, Wednesday and now changed to Tuesday! Idiot on TV stated today was Wednesday. NOTE: Always doublecheck and NEVER believe what some idiot on TV says the day is!

I'm a traditionalist myself.  My friend and I do a big Haunted House in his neighborhood every year for Halloween and several of the years the neighborhood tried to get the City to celebrate Halloween on whatever weekend was closest to the 31st.  We disagreed and refused to run the Haunted House on any day except the 31st.  Their plan ultimately failed and we won.  For me, leave it be.  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt Ike said:

I'm a traditionalist myself.  My friend and I do a big Haunted House in his neighborhood every year for Halloween and several of the years the neighborhood tried to get the City to celebrate Halloween on whatever weekend was closest to the 31st.  We disagreed and refused to run the Haunted House on any day except the 31st.  Their plan ultimately failed and we won.  For me, leave it be.  :)

I'm usually a traditionalist, but on this one, it just seems to make better sense to do this.  not saying it's going to be right for everyone, and at first my thought was, here we go again, someone wanting to change the dates of another Holiday [even though Halloween isn't an official holiday].

I was thinking when I first heard this, what next, Christmas really be moved to July, August or some summertime era since that's when Jesus was truly supposed to have been born and not on Dec. 25?

Although I do think this may affect the folks that have been making the same Halloween items for years that use the October 31st date ion them.  Sure would cost a bit to have to change over all their decor that may be embossed with the 10/31 date on them.

Only time will tell if this happens or not.  Me I can take it or leave it, doesn't really matter too me as much as it might to others.

I think I would lean toward the change to Saturdays, like you said Orville I can always use the extra days decorating 12 houses. Where do we cast our vote?

Keith

2 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

I think I would lean toward the change to Saturdays, like you said Orville I can always use the extra days decorating 12 houses. Where do we cast our vote?

Keith

EDIT: DELETED ORIGINAL REPLY as I just found the info.  This actually started last year in 2018, but didn't gain much then.

Here is the link to where you can read the story with links to sites and the petition:

Halloween on Saturday? Petition to Reschedule Holiday Has More Than 80K Signatures

And here is the direct link to the petition:

Join the Saturday Halloween Movement

Edited by Orville

Orville

Was more kidding about voting, but thanks. i read up a little on a couple sites, one site country living i think had a pole with live results and i was a little surprised that the change was losing 69 to 31 percent.

Keith

This topic has been around for a few years now and I doubt it will change. Me personally, I wouldn't do Halloween other then October 31 no matter what day it falls on. If they do by chance happen to change it I will go dark except for October 31, no music, no lights, no candy until the true All Hallows Eve.

Edited by Mr. P

I like the idea for one main reason- less traffic. 

The biggest killer on Halloween are kids being hit by cars.   Free candy can cloud even the most responsible child's mind -  They run into the street without looking and tragedy strikes.  Less cars on the road, would reduce the chances. 

How about we move trick or treating to the Saturday, and leave Halloween on the 31st?  

Actually where I live we have more traffic on Friday and Saturday evenings. Most of the traffic is teenagers and young adults heading to the Friday night football games and bars and clubs.

I haven’t had a problem in my 55 years of living, nor did the generations before me.

If it’s not broke don’t attempt to fix it.

JR

• Like 1

Not to get too political here - as I wouldn't want your thread shut down on my account - but....

Congress can't even agree on most matters that actually matter. They could never agree to this date change until they figured out how it would effect their next election polls. Then, they would change their focus from the date and include crap into the bill. Like - they'd want to put a cap on how much candy each child could obtain in one night. Or how much we could spend on said candy. Or even a national study and then a 10 year debate would come about as to whether the stores should give us all the candy for free - since we're actually redistributing it for them.

Well, unless they turn it completely over to their staffers. Then something might get done....

• Like 2

So let congress change it.  Let the people who want to go trick or treating on Saturday go!

More importantly let's let some John / Jane Doe organization named HCA Halloween and Costume Association dictate when we trick or treat.

But I will be passing out candy only on the 31st.

My light show will also run through the 31st.

And why we're out destroying traditions and holidays

Why don't we celebrate Christmas on the last Sunday in June!

At least I won't freeze my butt off putting up the lights.

Just curious but did California start this????

12 minutes ago, Dave Pursel said:

So let congress change it.  Let the people who want to go trick or treating on Saturday go!

More importantly let's let some John / Jane Doe organization named HCA Halloween and Costume Association dictate when we trick or treat.

But I will be passing out candy only on the 31st.

My light show will also run through the 31st.

And why we're out destroying traditions and holidays

Why don't we celebrate Christmas on the last Sunday in June!

At least I won't freeze my butt off putting up the lights.

Just curious but did California start this????

Christmas is actually in July, right?

I see stores already selling Christmas decorations.

JR