Light-O-Rama Forums

whole house transmitter

Bobothegreat

I bought the whole house transmitter from LOR and i cannot seem to get the audio to transmit clearly to radios. i have tryied both antenna but it still seem to  have static. is this normal for this transmitter?

Search the forums for"whole house transmitter" You may get the idea.😀

Don't have one myself.

Try turning the device volume down- if laptop or whatever you are using to test.

I don’t use it either. That thread Phil speaks is a plethora of info.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

8 hours ago, Bobothegreat said:

I tried searching it but it didnt come up for me.

As JR said, turned your PC or Laptop volume down to 10% or less. If I have my PC volume up louder than that, my transmitter will have static in it.

If I remember right, my transmitter volume is at 50%. I will check later on today.

Edited by gsmith37064

A couple steps to test.  First will determine if the transmitter is working and confirm that what you are hearing is a radio performance issue or an audio problem.

1)  While the transmitter is on and you are listening on a receiver nearby, and there is NO AUDIO being sent to the transmitter, do you hear a quiet (no noise) signal?  If yes, the transmitter is transmitting a clean Radio signal.  If not, the transmitter has a problem (or you are on the wrong frequency - either your receiver is not on the same frequency as the transmitter, or you are trying to use a frequency that is in use in your area).

2)  If step 1 is OK, while continuing to have NO AUDIO being sent to the transmitter, test the range by moving farther away from the transmitter.  This obviously works better with a portable receiver.  This will give you an idea of the useful radio range of the transmitter and antenna.  Note, it's not all that far.  As you get farther away from the transmitter, the signal will get noisy.  Note what that noise sounds like.  That is indication of a weak radio signal - which sounds quite different than most audio problems.

Steps 1 & 2 determine the radio signal performance.  Now we'll look at the audio.

3)  Now, go back to the having the receiver close to the transmitter.  Connect the transmitter to your audio source (normally either a computer or a show director).  Turn the audio level from the source ALL THE WAY DOWN and start playing music.  Presumably you will hear little or nothing from the receiver.  SLOWLY start turning the volume up at the source.  You should start hearing the audio on the receiver.  Turn the volume up until the audio starts to get distorted during really loud portions of the song.  Then turn the volume down until that distortion goes away and then turn it down just a little more.  If you compare the audio level to your local non-talk FM station, it will almost always sound quieter than the FM station.  This is because your local FM station is likely highly compressing the audio (unless it's a classical station and then it's only somewhat compressed).  Note that a large number of people have reported that they need to turn the audio level WAY down.  What is happening is that the audio signal is so loud that it is either distorting the modulation stages in the transmitter, or massively over deviating the radio signal (which actually results in the distortion being in the receiver), or both conditions.

This is a very simple test procedure.  If you have access to radio test equipment, there is a little better way to adjust audio, but most of you do not have access to a radio service monitor.

Edited by k6ccc