Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Mscannic

pixie16 setup in hardware utility

Recommended Posts

I'm having trouble setting up my new pixie16 controller. 

I've gone through the setup and think I have narrowed it down.  I even reviewed the step by step set up in the user forum (which was very helpful so I think I've identitied the problem - I just don't know how to fix it).

I'm on version 4.3.18Pro

I updated firmware for pixel16D_V1-04

Am hooked up using the RS485 adapter directly to computer.

My unit number is 3 - I did this on the dip switches so the hardware utility does communicate but I don't have any drop down boxes for the pixel type when I get to the config screen (screen shot below) and when I try to save it I get an error that says - unit did not respond to the option settings - retry command.

I have manually tested my pixel strip and when I use the test button on the controller itself, the strip works great and cycles through colors for all pixels.  If I try to test using the hardware utility it only lights up the first 33 pixels.  If I run a "show" it will only run for the first 33 pixels on that strip.  I believe it is b/c I can't get to the config option on the pixel type.  But then if I get there i'm not even sure what my pixel type is - we got from ray wu…

So I've narrowed it down - not sure why when the hardware utility finds the controller it says unknown device instead of pixel (like in video on forum) and why I don't get a drop down to select the pixel type and once I get the drop down how do I know what type of pixel type I have?  I pulled paperwork and nothing looks right - so what is standard type?

 

 

 

pixel questions screen shots.docx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing you need to do is upgrade your software to at least 4.3.24. This version fixes the bugs in the HU for the Pixie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you upgrade to version 4.3.24 or higher the HU will recognize the Pixie and you will have access to all its programming functions.

You also stated that you set the Unit ID of the Pixie to 3, remember that it will use 16 consecutive ID's one for each port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 5:03 PM, Mscannic said:

I'm having trouble setting up my new pixie16 controller. 

I've gone through the setup and think I have narrowed it down.  I even reviewed the step by step set up in the user forum (which was very helpful so I think I've identitied the problem - I just don't know how to fix it).

I'm on version 4.3.18Pro

I updated firmware for pixel16D_V1-04

Am hooked up using the RS485 adapter directly to computer.

My unit number is 3 - I did this on the dip switches so the hardware utility does communicate but I don't have any drop down boxes for the pixel type when I get to the config screen (screen shot below) and when I try to save it I get an error that says - unit did not respond to the option settings - retry command.

I have manually tested my pixel strip and when I use the test button on the controller itself, the strip works great and cycles through colors for all pixels.  If I try to test using the hardware utility it only lights up the first 33 pixels.  If I run a "show" it will only run for the first 33 pixels on that strip.  I believe it is b/c I can't get to the config option on the pixel type.  But then if I get there i'm not even sure what my pixel type is - we got from ray wu…

So I've narrowed it down - not sure why when the hardware utility finds the controller it says unknown device instead of pixel (like in video on forum) and why I don't get a drop down to select the pixel type and once I get the drop down how do I know what type of pixel type I have?  I pulled paperwork and nothing looks right - so what is standard type?

 

 

 

pixel questions screen shots.docx 108.93 kB · 1 download

Read my “sticky post” in the general hardware section.

That will explain it all, there’s also a video to expedite the process.

According to your profile you only have a “basic plus” license. You need a Pro license. (Period). 4.3.14 will work you just need the pro version. NM- update you profile though.

You do need and should have a spare RS485HS (red adapter). I know what it says on the LOR site, “recommended”, but trust me on this one.

The way you tell What your color order should be is through the HU manually going though each.

Do not use the dip switch- that is and has always been my recommendation and I have set up well over 100 (well).

Set it back to factory and manually set it up in HU.

Do that and if it doesn’t work send me a PM and Tel # I call and a best time to call.

If you need my help via phone please set it back to factory. Also have a red adapter , you have plenty of time to get one.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2019 at 6:16 PM, Mr. P said:

The first thing you need to do is upgrade your software to at least 4.3.24. This version fixes the bugs in the HU for the Pixie.

I haven’t had any problems. I haven’t been on here much and haven’t had hardly any support requests since I made that video and tutorial.

I added 8 more pixies in 18 and all work.

Gonna have to remember that. Thanks for the info.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I haven’t had any problems. I haven’t been on here much and haven’t had hardly any support requests since I made that video and tutorial.

I added 8 more pixies in 18 and all work.

Gonna have to remember that. Thanks for the info.

JR

Version 4.3.18 was the official version which identified the Pixies but it had some bugs which 4.3.24 fixed.

What's New in Version 4.3.24

This release contains a bugfix for the Hardware Utility, which, when started, would occasionally not send heartbeats to controllers, leading to seemingly erratic behavior with respect to detecting units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Version 4.3.18 was the official version which identified the Pixies but it had some bugs which 4.3.24 fixed.

What's New in Version 4.3.24

This release contains a bugfix for the Hardware Utility, which, when started, would occasionally not send heartbeats to controllers, leading to seemingly erratic behavior with respect to detecting units.

All I will say, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

Initially I upgraded with .24 but had issues so reverted. The only upgrade I do now is the SS ssedit.

i haven’t had any problems with .18 even with everyone I have helped.

I still like the old K.I.S.S. approach. But  will keep that in mind if I ever run into trouble.

Thanks again.

JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...