Light-O-Rama Forums

Beta Install Issues

jwblazek

Running S4 Pro on my other computer, decided to play with S5 on another PC. Been playing with it for awhile, saw S5 Beta had a bunch more features, so tried to install. I uninstalled S5,  downloaded and attempted to install. Keep getting error message of cannot find lightorama.msi or something like that

I suspect remnants of S5 still exist. There was a program I saw somewhere that will completely uninstall remnants of S5. Anyone recall where that is?

Try re downloading again. Might be a bad D/L. There was no need to uninstall S5. You can go right on top.

Try deleting the LOR folder in the Programs(x86) folder before you go again.

If you still need the Regwipe.exe file, I can send it to you but it will be later on tomorrow.

have tried downloads from both sites and two separate  browsers...

Thank you Phil

-john

yes, in addition to not finding .msi file says resources on the file location not available. Installed as admin

About the same, launching, gets this message, as before: It is a LOR error

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package "Ligh-O-Rama.msi" in the box below

Use source:

c:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\{3E05AA6

I used all default prompts during install

2 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

Yes, it was installed and running and I decided to try the Beta

But if you try to install 5.2.4 now, does it work?

It still didn't work. Now it gets stranger. Deleted any and all LOR folders, ran regwipe, again. Deleted all TEMP files, deleted every S5 *.exe I had downloaded and downloaded a fresh copy. Finally installed, and RAN.

But, I exited out, tried to relaunch from the control panel (SE) and came up with the same installation errros. It was trying to reinstall. Restarted the PC, Launched Control Panel, tried launching SE, same error again, tries to reinstall

Here is what @DevMike had to say... Sounds like the Direct X install loop. 

Sometimes during or after installation when you try to start a program such as the Sequence Editor, the program will not start. Instead an error message will pop up, saying: 

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. 

Alternatively, you may be stuck in the 'DirectX' install loop - You begin to install the Light-O-Rama software and when the program tries to install DirectX, it appears to work and then loops back to start the DirectX install again. 

These errors are typically because Windows is confused about what is, and what is not, installed. Fixing this error can be tricky since there are multiple things that could be wrong and/or that could fix the problem. After each suggestion, run your test again and see if the problem is fixed. 

==First, Reboot.   For Windows 10 this means doing a RESTART from the Windows menu.  Power button restarts and ‘Shutdown’ are not true reboots.

==Ensure all Windows Updates are installed. 

==Try to install DirectX before installing the Light-O-Rama software. Download and run the file from here: 
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429 

At this point, we have to start with more drastic measures: 

==Try the Microsoft Fixit called 'Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled' at 
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall 

==Try the 'Windows Installer Cleanup Utility'. You can find the program here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html 

(1) Download the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from that web page. 

(2) Close all of your running programs, especially LOR programs (if any are running), including not just things like the Sequence Editor, but also the LOR Control Panel (the light bulb icon in your computer's system tray). 

(3) Run the installer for the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. 

(4) After it installs, run the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility itself. 

(5) It will present you with a list of installed programs. Select any and all "Light-O-Rama" programs, and tell it to clean them up. 

(6) Close the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. 

(7) Reboot. 

(8) Reinstall Light-O-Rama. 

==You may need to turn UAC off, and then install/uninstall and re-install. For more information on UAC: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:40 PM, jwblazek said:

It still didn't work. Now it gets stranger. Deleted any and all LOR folders, ran regwipe, again. Deleted all TEMP files, deleted every S5 *.exe I had downloaded and downloaded a fresh copy. Finally installed, and RAN.

But, I exited out, tried to relaunch from the control panel (SE) and came up with the same installation errros. It was trying to reinstall. Restarted the PC, Launched Control Panel, tried launching SE, same error again, tries to reinstall

Same problem here as you describe when I try to install the newest release 5.2.4.  Fortunately 5.2.2 works.  I had this same problem last year and don't remember how I got it to work.   I just remember it was a pain in the butt.   Thanks for the nice detail information above, but I give up.   None of the above ideas work.  I'm hopeful for the day when LOR might release a version of the installer that does NOT automatically launch the DirectX installer or at least give a choice if users want to install it or not.  since my 5.2.2 works, it is pretty clear that I don't need to attempt to install DirectX again, yet the LOR installer won't get past that point.   Frankly, I think in most cases, people just need the new set of modified files.   I've written installers with InstallShield before, so pretty sure that can be done.

thanks all.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:57 AM, Richard Hamilton said:

when I try to install the newest release 5.2.4

Just FYI - the latest release is 5.3.6

Matt

Thanks Matt.   Sorry I misquoted.  I was actually trying to install the 5.3.6 update.   I got around the problem with a bazaar method that you probably don't want to hear about  😀

8 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Thanks Matt.   Sorry I misquoted.  I was actually trying to install the 5.3.6 update.   I got around the problem with a bazaar method that you probably don't want to hear about  😀

Glad to hear you got it working. And actually, we are always interested in what users do to get LOR installed correctly, because there is usually another user out there with the same issue.

Matt

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:16 AM, MattBrown said:

Glad to hear you got it working. And actually, we are always interested in what users do to get LOR installed correctly, because there is usually another user out there with the same issue.

Matt

Ok Matt,  I can see you laughing hysterically at this reply :D

First to say I had the same issue on my development computer and on my garage Christmas show computer.  Often some of those above suggestions will remedy the DirectX loop issue, but not this time.

After the installation failure and DirectX issue, I used Windows restore feature to restore the computer back to the point right before installing the LOR update.  That resolved the DirectX install loop issue.  Then since I have InstallShield development tools, I used them to extract the package and copied only the updated files to my LOR directory., assuming there was no need to install DirectX again.   All worked well and has been for the past week.

Thinking almost no LOR users are going to have InstallShield development tools, I experimented with another approach.  I installed the update on my show computer and sure enough I got into that DirectX loop thing.  So I copied all the LOR files off to another temporary directory, did a restore back to the state before the LOR update, and then copied those temporary files back to the LOR folder.  All worked well as expected.

I thought you would be laughing by now.  For anyone else reading this, I was just experimenting since I've created a lot of installers over the years and understand how Windows, the registry and related shares dll files work.   I certainly would not suggest anyone try this method even if I did explain it well enough to understand  :rolleyes:

The only thing I was doing other than getting it to work was to confirm a suspicion that once DirectX is already on the computer, it isn't often needed to run the installer again to get an LOR update to work.  Not telling you anything you don't already know.   LOR developers are REALLY SMART programmers in my opinion.