Light-O-Rama Forums
PhilMassey

Beta 5.3.0 Suggestions

Since we are now making major changes to the Sequencer tools layout in the main window, a couple of thoughts come to mind.

Make the effects selection dropdowns, now on the left of the window, a dockable or floating window so it can be moved out of the sequencing area or even to  a second monitor.

This "tools window" could also be made user configurable so other tools could be placed in there, perhaps even some of the commands currently buried several levels deep in right click menus. This might also allow you to free up some more space in the main toolbar, by putting the remaining dropdowns in there.

Of course I understand that it is much more difficult to do than it is to say, but it might be worth considering as we move forward. Then again everyone else may hate it.

Again, thanks for the improvements so far.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback! Just so I am clear, could you take a screen shot and circle/markup the areas you are talking about above? Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt, here's  are links to two  images in dropbox.

New intensity dialogs in 5.3.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4pnjpzx470nuci/s5 markup.jpg?dl=0

Example of buried commands which might be easier to access from a floating toolbar window

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9ncllebsoobdv1/s5 markup2.jpg?dl=0

Thanks again. Phil

not a bad idea at all

My vote is to make the 'Select Action, Range, Slope, Current Effect, and Effect' boxes that are currently on the far right, dockable.  Either as a single group or as a couple groups.  When I am sequencing, I am across 2 screens with the Playback on a 3rd screen.  Lots of room under the Playback for dockable boxes.  Very inconvenient at times having to move all the way to the left for something in the Sequence menu and then about 36" back to the right for something in new right side menus.

Thought I would never go to 3 screens but it is getting much cheaper.  Under $150 for a good 23" monitor and a USB to VGA adapter for under $50 from Amazon "USB to DVI External Video Card Multi Monitor Adapter - USB to DVI Adapter - USB 2.0 DVI Converter - 1920x1200"

1) What if we made it configurable so the Select Action and Current Effect buttons can appear vertically on the left or right, or horizontally just above the timeline?

2) As for Phil's second picture, I would like to add another button under Select Action call "Timing". This would essentially replace the "Lock Timings" option that appears in a couple of places. So if "Timing" is selected then timing marks are unlocked; and would be locked for any other Select Action. Also, when "Timing" is selected, when you right-click on the grid only the timing sub-menu would be displayed.

Matt

Definitely like the sound of 2 and 1 as well, if, as it sounds, it makes the main window full width again.

7 hours ago, MattBrown said:

1) What if we made it configurable so the Select Action and Current Effect buttons can appear vertically on the left or right, or horizontally just above the timeline?

Options would help.  Each user would have a different environment and I am sure options would be appreciated.

Here is a progress update:

TOOL BUTTONS LOCATION

The tool buttons can now appear on the right side of the grid or above it.

In version 5.3.0, you can right-click in the button area and select to view "icons and text", "icons only", or "text only". This works, but does not resize the button area. In 5.3.2, the button area will be resized.

In 5.3.0, the tool buttons appear in 2 columns, and if there is not enough vertical space to display all buttons then a scroll bar will appear. In 5.3.2, the buttons are in a single column, and if there is not enough space then the area is widened and the buttons will be placed in as many columns as are needed to display them all (no scroll bar).

TIMING MODE

A Timing select action has been added. As mentioned above, this replaces the "Lock Timings" option that appears in a couple of menus. So if "Timing" is selected then timing marks are unlocked; but would be locked for any other Select Action.

NEW: there are now 2 right-click menus for the sequence grid -- the old menu has been split into 2 separate menus:

1) The old menu WITHOUT the timing sub-menu. This will be displayed for all select actions other than "timing"

2) The timing sub-menu (now stand-alone) - this will be displayed for the "Timing" select action.

Buttons above the grid and viewing "icons only":

image.png

Buttons on the right side of the grid and viewing "icons and text":

image.png

If I follow you correctly, 

Icons only show just in the top toolbar with nothing to the right of the grid. 

Icons and text turns on the items to the right of the grid?

Like the sound of the timings options menu too.

Sounds good, Matt ,many thanks.

Phil

20 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

If I follow you correctly, 

Icons only show just in the top toolbar with nothing to the right of the grid. 

Icons and text turns on the items to the right of the grid?

Like the sound of the timings options menu too.

Sounds good, Matt ,many thanks.

Phil

Button location is one setting. "icons and text", "icons only", or "text only" is a separate setting. So each user can create a combination that is to their liking.

image.png

Hub doesn’t work in 5.3, unable to create sd cards, keeps not responding when creating

I noticed that the "Save" function doesn't appear to be working. SaveAs is working. When using the Save button or icon, I see a brief flash of some message but its gone within a part of a second and no way to read it.

Save and Save as working normally here 

3 hours ago, dgrant said:

I noticed that the "Save" function doesn't appear to be working. SaveAs is working. When using the Save button or icon, I see a brief flash of some message but its gone within a part of a second and no way to read it.

That brief flash is the "Please wait" window. Your save happens so fast, you can hardly see it. But it does happen. Open a Windows Explorer window and look at the timestamp on the file - it will get updated after a save.

Matt

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

That brief flash is the "Please wait" window. Your save happens so fast, you can hardly see it. But it does happen. Open a Windows Explorer window and look at the timestamp on the file - it will get updated after a save.

Matt

That's just it, it did not save nor did the timestamp change. I'll look again as I'm going to work on it right now

It was the OS, showing the date created time/date instead of the date modified.

Just noticed something else that use to work in S4; I'm probably doing something wrong but my 24x50 matrix, doesn't display on the preview screen correctly when using original S4 matrix sequences. It appears that the setup doesn't allow for zig-zags even though it shows them. I'm using Matt's suggested 8 strings, 150 each and 2 folds so it appears correct. However, when I play the sequence, I'm seeing a mirror image of the data instead of being together as one image. In this case, Monster Mash, the character enters from one side but on the display, its entering from both sides therefore the 2nd part of the 3 part string, needs to have its channels reversed.

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

It was the OS, showing the date created time/date instead of the date modified.

Just noticed something else that use to work in S4; I'm probably doing something wrong but my 24x50 matrix, doesn't display on the preview screen correctly when using original S4 matrix sequences. It appears that the setup doesn't allow for zig-zags even though it shows them. I'm using Matt's suggested 8 strings, 150 each and 2 folds so it appears correct. However, when I play the sequence, I'm seeing a mirror image of the data instead of being together as one image. In this case, Monster Mash, the character enters from one side but on the display, its entering from both sides therefore the 2nd part of the 3 part string, needs to have its channels reversed.

In the Prop Definition screen, make sure the "Starting Location" field is set correctly.

Matt

It is set correctly for starting at the bottom left which corresponds directly to the data.  This matches the physical matrix wiring. So I’m wondering if the import function worked? I’ll dig on it

I'm setting up to test on the actual matrix today. One new strip had the connectors reversed so will be soldering first, then connecting and finally get to turn on the show computer and test. I think I have an idea on what's wrong but its just a thought for the moment. I have yet to doublecheck this but will verify it too today. I'm using a pixcon16 for this matrix. It might be that I've got the controller set up to reverse the middle string of the 3 strings grouped together in 1 universe. If that's the case, the implication is that the preview software needs to allow for this alteration at the hardware level. I'll figure it out today one way or another.

So I verified that what appears on the preview is what is actually sent to the controller. Apparently my created matrix preview doesn't work. I've tried lots of combinations but nothing seems to straighten it out, except, starting over and importing the original file again, using the original visualizer file from S4. Then it magically works just fine. S5 did not like the newer preview that I had created manually, for the matrix. Comparing the old to the new, channel assignments were the same, if using 24 strings as I originally set up to make this work. What I'm trying to find is if there's a way to reassign the preview to a different one rather than having to recreate all the work because of the matrix? I deleted the one I created but the software just goes and looks for another older one on its own and lists it as "imported".

Any way of bringing back custom keyboard mappings that was in S4

So I think I found that there's a possible issue with the import program. In order to fix the issues, I had to create new sequences and manually import each data area into the new one, using the preview that was done using Matt's suggested method. Once this was all done, the sequences worked properly. The original sequences that worked in S4, did not work in S5 for the matrix only.

Posted (edited)

Sorry that I put the diagnostic efforts in this area but I thought it important that LOR understands some of the complexity of figuring things out when something didn't work as expected.

So, my "suggestion" for the S5 software, there needs to be the capability to reassign a different preview to a sequence. Currently, you cannot do this once the first import is done. If by chance, the imported preview is wrong, even if you fix it, it doesn't always fix the problem. The only way to fix it was to start over and create a new sequence, then manually import all the data to the new sequence.

Edited by dgrant
spelling