Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
default

Ver 5.3.0 Create Playback Files or not ?

Recommended Posts

Are we suppose to create playback files for 5.0.3? Did the command get moved somewhere else? I understand the help files are not updated yet, as it still says

"Create Playback FIles

When you are finished with a sequence, select "Create Playback Files" from the Sequencer's File menu to save the current sequence in a format that can be used for scheduling a show or writing an SD card for an LOR Director. If you subsequently make changes to the sequence or to the preview, you will need to create playback files again."

playback.jpg


ummm, it's not there anymore ?? I was going run my show tonight with 5.0.3. I guess. I'll go back to older versions.

It would be nice to see the release notes when an update is released. I for one like to read about all the updates.
Alan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playback files are created automatically, in the background, as needed in 5.3.0. Whether you are playing a show from your PC or creating an SD card.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can select S5 sequences in the Show Editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Matt,

OK, good to know. What about playing the show from anpther PC? do all the files need to be moved to show pc?

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol I am reinstalling 5.3.0 again to see when and where they get created.

Alan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the show computer, you would need all of the files that are listed in Sequence > File References, except the background image for the preview.

You will see the playback files get created in the log section of the Control Panel's Status window.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt, are the compressed sequence files still utilized?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Matt, are the compressed sequence files still utilized?

Yes they are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 4:49 PM, MattBrown said:

On the show computer, you would need all of the files that are listed in Sequence > File References, except the background image for the preview.

You will see the playback files get created in the log section of the Control Panel's Status window.

Matt

Matt,

Actually I found another way to get the shows onto the show computer without having to copy every file listed in the references. For me that is a large number of files in different places and on different drives on my design pc. It would take alot of time to make sure I copied every file onto the show pc. and then re-snyc them to the show pc's directories.

I created the show on my design pc, by selecting Show Editor from the Control Panel, then added all files (.loredit) like I normally would. My design pc has more horsepower than my show pc and the creating of show files was much quicker and I didn't have to wait in the yard for every song to be processed before it played (1rst time).

Creating the show files on my design pc, placed the finished .play files in the C:\Users\mypc\Documents\Light-O-Rama\LORInternal\Playback\L\2019 Show directory.
The three files created are the .play.lms.lcs, .play.lms.pe.lid, and the play.lms files. I copied those three files into a directory on my show pc, then ran Show Editor on the show pc and pointed it that directory. The default file selection is for S5 Sequences (.loredit files), but if you change the selection type to Legacy Musical File and use those files (.play.lms) everything worked. The show pc did not have to process the files to create the play files as they were already created. I use the Show on demand option.

Is it possible to give us back the option to create show files during editing? That was a really easy option and quicker for making changes during testing.

I like the Motion Effect/Picture/Pre Scale image option, it helps alot with some images and gifs. The jerkiness of animated gifs is gone. :) I really like the Drag Edges option, that is a very handy tool. I am still getting used to the everyhing being moved around.

Thank you and LOR for the changes and updates, the program keeps getting better and better.

Alan...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for drawing my attention to the Pre Scale image option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, default said:

Is it possible to give us back the option to create show files during editing? That was a really easy option and quicker for making changes during testing.

If you mean Sequence Compressor, it's available by right clicking the Control Panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me, but, back to the topic of Playback files; I can see that the .loredit files are available in Show Editor but the sequence file does not appear when I try to create a show for SD card for Director. 

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PCRail said:

Excuse me, but, back to the topic of Playback files; I can see that the .loredit files are available in Show Editor but the sequence file does not appear when I try to create a show for SD card for Director. 

Richard

Use LOR Hub for creating SD cards for the Director. It will allow you to select S5 sequence files.

Creating SD cards in the Hardware Utility is being retired.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that tip. Old Hardware Utility habits die hard. I tried using the hub and the process seemed to go fine but no show played. Since I had already created a "play" file for this sequence and since that play file also showed up on the hub list of available sequences, I repeated the process of building the card selecting the "play" file. That worked, which suggests to me that the hub process and setting I'm using are OK, i.e. network speed, port, etc. The only difference between working and not was which file I selected. I noticed that, unlike previous versions, when the "building SD card" box appears with the progress bar, the bar only goes about 3/4 across and then the "Success" box appears and the progress bar never completely fills in. This upsets my neurotic desire for closure.

Thanks

Richard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 6:15 AM, PhilMassey said:

If you mean Sequence Compressor, it's available by right clicking the Control Panel.

No, Phil that's not what I was refering to, but thanks for reminding me to go check to make sure it was still checked. As far as I know that option is on by default when you install LOR.

Phil, this part is not directed at you, but more for discussion for the group and an explanation of wanting to get the Create Playback option put back into S5 editor.

I understand this is not a bug, and this is by design. If this dicussion needs to be moved to another area, then please do.

In one sequence I have, there are 50 Superstar files, and about 10 animated gifs. If you are not aware everytime you Insert or Edit A Superstar Effect from S5 Editor, Superstar will write a .avi file into the directory of the .loredit you are working on. Say you make a small change to (edit) a Superstar file, a new file (.avi) will be created making the original obsolete. However it does not get deleted, if you want to keep a clean directory ie. get rid of all the non used Superstar .avi files you have to manually delete them using the Sequence/File References option in S5. That is a very handy option and works well, however when you get a good quanity of .avi files it gets very tedious to weed out the non used files as the .avi file names are very long and hard to decipher. If you don't weed them out then you are transfering files that are not needed with the sequence just fo the sake of keeping everything together whether the files are active or not.

To put it simply I use Superstar alot and am always editing files which creates a lot of extra files I don't need, and now that the Playback files are created on the fly from the show pc I need to make sure if I do an edit to the sequence that *all* of the files (including the newly edited files) needed are copied over to the show pc and let the show pc build the playback file. Since you don't need a superfast pc to run the shows, this takes a longer time for the show pc to process the song and create the show playback files. In my case it takes a good 5 minutes to for my show pc to create the playback files on 1 song. 5 minutes is a long time staring at props in the yard that are not doing anything. If I just want to check if the edit I made is good, that's alot of steps and time spent waiting around for all this to happen.

If you miss transfering a Superstar, picture, or movie file to the show pc, then the effect will not work in the show, and you have to do it all over again.

The previous way this was done, was that I could click the Create Playback Files within the Editor and the files would be created on the pc I use to edit and then transfer those 3 files to the show pc. Even though pictures, movies and sequences were in different directories on my editing pc I didn't need to go find *all* the files associated with the sequence and gather them all up to transfer them to the show pc for it do do the playback file processing.

Granted for most this won't be that big of of an issue, but as your show gets bigger and you use Superstar, pictures, and movies alot this will generate a lot of files that have to be transfered to the show pc, it gets painful just to make a small change to the sequence and see it on the props.

If LOR wants to keep it the way it is now, that's fine. All I am asking for is give us an alternative (putting Create Playback Files) back into the editor.

I hope this all makes sense. :)

Alan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, PCRail said:

I noticed that, unlike previous versions, when the "building SD card" box appears with the progress bar, the bar only goes about 3/4 across and then the "Success" box appears and the progress bar never completely fills in. This upsets my neurotic desire for closure.

Thanks

Richard

That's because the 'Your SD card is done!' is one of the steps.  When you hit OK for that, the bar fills in and then it disappears because you are done :)

(Actually, I'm probably miscounting the number of steps I need to take with the S5 playback file stuff added, so I'll have a look when I get a chance.  Rest assured however that even if the bar doesn't fill all the way in, it's done).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I just played a show on my lights and the playback files were NOT updated. None of the latest changes played and I did save the file.

The .Loredit file has a new timestamp but the play.lcs is still dated April.

Screencap       https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsjrpqd5tbrsbxd/sc7.jpg?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Actually I just played a show on my lights and the playback files were NOT updated. None of the latest changes played and I did save the file.

The .Loredit file has a new timestamp but the play.lcs is still dated April.

Screencap       https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsjrpqd5tbrsbxd/sc7.jpg?dl=0

Did you go into Show Editor and replace the ".play.lms" file with the ".loredit" file?

In 5.3.0, the playback files get stored under the LORInternal folder, not the folder where you sequence resides.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing the show in MIIP. I guess BobO needs to know this. Can the file be copied to the sequence folder.

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I was playing the show in MIIP. I guess BobO needs to know this. Can the file be copied to the sequence folder.

Thanks 

You could copy the file manually, but LOR will not be providing a way to do that automatically.

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still stuck in the Hub. If it's true that the progress bar is supposed to completely fill when OK is clicked in the "success" box, then something is wrong with my LOR world because it does not fill in when OK is clicked. I still can't create a show that plays on G3 Director SD card using the .loredit file in the Hub. If I use a play file previously created in 5.2. all's well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Matt, the playback files were not created in the LORinternal folder until I played a show on demand.The Playback folder was not even present in LORinternal until the show player created it, which took close to half a minute. Could this be PCRail's issue as well?

A second sequence, much larger, had been opened and resaved in 5.3 played next. It took  even longer to process, compress and play. It too only appeared in the LORinternal\playback folder after the show player created it.

Just for complete disclosure, my LOR folder is on a network drive mapped to L:\. My sequences are in a folder on C:\ to improve loading speed. This has always worked seamlessly in the past, and with 5.2.

Edited by PhilMassey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Matt, the playback files were not created in the LORinternal folder until I played a show on demand.The Playback folder was not even present in LORinternal until the show player created it, which took close to half a minute. Could this be PCRail's issue as well?

A second sequence, much larger, had been opened and resaved in 5.3 played next. It took  even longer to process, compress and play. It too only appeared in the LORinternal\playback folder after the show player created it.

Just for complete disclosure, my LOR folder is on a network drive mapped to L:\. My sequences are in a folder on C:\ to improve loading speed. This has always worked seamlessly in the past, and with 5.2.

That is by design. Playback files are created as needed by the Show Player. If you want all sequences converted before the show starts, then in the Show Editor, click the Options button and select "Sequences are loaded before any are played".

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PCRail said:

I'm still stuck in the Hub. If it's true that the progress bar is supposed to completely fill when OK is clicked in the "success" box, then something is wrong with my LOR world because it does not fill in when OK is clicked. I still can't create a show that plays on G3 Director SD card using the .loredit file in the Hub. If I use a play file previously created in 5.2. all's well.

Try creating an SD card with just one LOREDIT file on it. Does that work? If not, please create a ticket with the help desk, zip up the sequence and attach it to the ticket. Include any supporting files for picture/movie/SuperStar effects in the zip file. Thanks,

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is getting very complicated for users of MIip. Not to mention the delays in loading if there is a file update. This may be a deal breaker for me. I am seeing a return to S4 in my future.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...