Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you sell your donation box?

thebaronn

Hello!

I searched and I found a lot on the creation of a donation box, but I have a burning question.

If you have a donation box, do you use any of the money to cover expenses, or even upgrades for a future show or whatever(Pay PG&E or but a new controller....etc) My question is for those that have a donation box what is the breakdown of the dispersment of funds?

And then how do you sell it? If you give 100%, well thats an easy sell.

But if you do not, what do you say?

This may be a tacky question, but I just want to do what everyone else does.

Thank you

Eric

I think that almost all of us give 100% of the donations to our charities.

If you can't afford to have a big display, you should just do what you can afford.

In the past, I have not openly asked for donations. What I do is I have a guest book right by the donation box and ask people to sign the guest book. Most people will then make a donation too.

Not only do we give 100% to the charity, but we match all cash donations. I'm not sure how you would sell the idea if not all the money goes for the cause. People are just going to donate less.

I collected cash for the M.S. society, and we donated 100% of cash donations. I know through personal friends who are related to some one famous that they take everything needed from the donations to run there non profit organization. That means travel, food and lodging. The government doesn't have their fingers in this yet! But I do know you can't say your collecting for one charity and give it to another. Why do that? I don't know. On the uppity up , I filled out the necessary paper work with the M.S. society, so now it will be legal for me to use there Logo's and they accept our show as a bona fide fund raising event.

I also showed results of collection on my web site. I'm hoping this year to double the donations of last year. Well , it is the time of giving and as last year and this year my Neighbor (Chase) (who also puts on a Grand show) and me are doing charities that cloth and feed the needy.