Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 "Insert SuperStar Effects" concept question

k6ccc

For those that use SuperStar, and are now using S5.  Looking for opinions of the better way to use "Insert SuperStar Effects" in the S5 Sequencer.  Are you using a separate Insert for each effect or small group of effects, or do you use one Insert for either the entire song, or at least large portions of it, or some mixture?

For a little background, as many of you know, I essentially sequence everything in SuperStar - and have for quite a few years.  Although for 2018 I ran my show entirely in S5, it was somewhat of a hybrid.  The 2018 show modifications were all done directly in S5 SuperStar using visualizations created in S4 Visualizer.  When completed, the sequences were exported in "legacy" format into Sequencer.  Then I added my P5 and P10 Tune To matrices using Motion Effects.

This year, I am starting a migration to "proper" S5 by using Insert SuperStar Effects.  For the most part, I am grabbing fairly short segments of time for each insert.  Then I copy and paste from a second instance of SuperStar that is the source, into the instance of SuperStar that is opened via the Insert.  There are a few that have been longer. but most are under five seconds.  The opposite extreme would be to have a single Insert for the entire song.  One of the big disadvantages of short segments is that I will end up with hundreds or maybe even thousands of .avi files that go along with the sequence files.  Opinions?

I am experiencing a problem reloading a SS5 .SUP file so I can modify it more.  For example, I have an effect that the timing is 7.55 sec to 26.80 seconds in the sequence.  When I select the time in S5 and then select insert SS effect, i have to open the .SUP file.  However the beginning of the effect in SS5 starts at 15.20 seconds.  I have to 'Nudge Length Left' to move the start back to 7.55 sec.

So there sure is a learning curve plus when something isn't working the way you think it aught to, are you doing something incorrectly, is it a 'feature' or something that will be added in the future.

I will also be interested in hearing others techniques.

If you are operating in the S5 environment, you should not be trying to open a .sup file.  The exception is if you are doing (as I am at the moment), opening one instance of SuperStar directly (NOT by way of S5 Sequencer), and then copying effects from that instance of SuperStar into a second instance of SuperStar via Insert SuperStar Effects.

I think I need to go back to the tutorials and help.  When I load the sequence, select the pixel element (Effects on) and time, right click and insert SS effect, there is nothing there.

Book learning tomorrow.

Thanks

If the white bar is there for an effect, just double click on that bar and it will open whichever effects generator created it (SuperStar or Motion Effects).

Jumping straight from S3 to S5, I missed the 'S4 training'.  What should have been obvious, wasn't for me.  k6ccc, you hit it square on the head. 

Thanks, now onward with the work.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a complete newbie. Started last year one controller, downloaded and bought several sequences and manipulated them or my lights to get the affect I was looking for. This year I upgraded to two more controllers and a ccr. I am trying to use the super star sequencer I watched the tutorial, set up my preview and imported a song, but when I select row for entire display, there is no superstar sequencer like there is in the tutorial. What am I doing wrong?