Light-O-Rama Forums

windows 10

sysco

I have a dell windows 7 home premium edition ,xps 8300 intel [ R] CORE [ TM ] i7 2600 cpu @  3.40 gtz-340 gtz, memory 6.00 GB, with 64 bit operating system. Is there a free download that I can get or should I buy windows 10. With windows 10 I should be able to up grade to 32 gb of ram ???? .Would like your thoughts on this thank you  

Not sure what you are asking.

What free download, you will need to buy a W10 license to get W 10. It's a free download but will need activating with a license key. By the way, do not buy a cheap key on Ebay, they are frequently scams.

Why do you want 32GB of ram. 16 is plenty unless you're doing really serious graphics creation

There is a chance that you could still get a free upgrade if you have a valid W7 key. Some people have reported that the free upgrade is still working, but you will have to install 10 to find out. If it does not work you would have to then buy a key or revert back to W7.

Installing W 10 requires that you first download the Media Creation Tool, from Microsoft. Use it to download and create the installer on a  16 GB USB thumb drive, boot to it and run the install. 

Try the W 7 key to activate, and cross your fingers. If it doesn't work, buy a legitimate key and activate. Again be very suspicious of cheap keys.

I have 8G in an older Dell. I almost never see it max out (usuall something goes sideways and I need to reboot anyway)

It shipped with W7pro, then MS did the free upgrade (W10pro). But I think there was a time limit.

I was not aware the W10 OS allowed more accessible RAM than W7.  64bit was the key gain ove the 32 bit windows.

But as Phil said: What are you doing that needs that much?

47 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

It shipped with W7pro, then MS did the free upgrade (W10pro). But I think there was a time limit.

Check out this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Avoid Windows 10 S, bought an inexpensive laptop for a project because it had "Windows 10" and was inexpensive ($150 new).  What it didn't say was it was running a subset of Windows 10 designed to compete with Chromebook.  I will let you decided what the S should stand for.

Would like to thank you all for replying to the above topic.The reason I was saying 32gb I read somewhere that it would allow you to use up to 32gb of ram if needed

I'm a true believer in giving a computer all the possible resources it can handle, as in Ram memory, larger hard drives and the best video GPU money can handle. My show computer is a former server, reset into a desktop Pc running Windows 10 Pro. Older Dell T5500 and its got two Xeon E5649 CPU's within and 72Gb of Ram, along with two 2-Tb HD's, Nvidia Quadro K1200. It never thinks about slowing down and runs nice and cool. Yes, I could run an even better GPU but this one works just fine for, four monitors using LOR.

When you limit things on the computer side, you start limiting proper speed of the show. I've got a much faster machine too but its really not needed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dgrant said:

I'm a true believer in giving a computer all the possible resources it can handle, as in Ram memory, larger hard drives and the best video GPU money can handle. My show computer is a former server, reset into a desktop Pc running Windows 10 Pro. Older Dell T5500 and its got two Xeon E5649 CPU's within and 72Gb of Ram, along with two 2-Tb HD's, Nvidia Quadro K1200. It never thinks about slowing down and runs nice and cool. Yes, I could run an even better GPU but this one works just fine for, four monitors using LOR.

When you limit things on the computer side, you start limiting proper speed of the show. I've got a much faster machine too but its really not needed.

all my stuff runs off a quad core Raspberry Pi, handles it all nicely and I don't have to dedicate a PC to it.

1 hour ago, caniac said:

Avoid Windows 10 S, bought an inexpensive laptop for a project because it had "Windows 10" and was inexpensive ($150 new).  What it didn't say was it was running a subset of Windows 10 designed to compete with Chromebook.  I will let you decided what the S should stand for.

And remember that as DevMike has pointed out, LOR will not run on Windows 10S.  This quote from the LOR software download page:

* a variant of Windows 10 called “Windows 10 S” is sold on a small number of new computers and only allows installation of apps from the Microsoft Store. Light-O-Rama software is not available from the Microsoft Store; however, you can switch out of “S mode” by following instructions from Microsoft and then you will be able to install the Light-O-Rama software.

Mine is used for high level software coding in a realm few have ever seen but it works nicely for the LOR show

I like having  "extra" ram, 64GB on this machine.     If its getting used is it really too much?        This snap caught 7zip using 41GB of ram ultra compressing a backup.     I also find it used when I generate effects with SpEx and other programs which build large clipboards.       

MemUsage7zBu.jpg

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I like having  "extra" ram, 64GB on this machine.     If its getting used is it really too much?        This snap caught 7zip using 41GB of ram ultra compressing a backup.     I also find it used when I generate effects with SpEx and other programs which build large clipboards.       

MemUsage7zBu.jpg

It’s nice to have the extra resources so that  you don’t get stuck “wishing” you had the extra when it’s really needed. 

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW,     Linux 19.1 cinnamon, with the Tessa desktop, running an older version of Windoze XP in a virtual box, is rock solid, the Linux is state of the art, and dam FAST,  and windoze XP is a great version (IMHO) better than 10 any flavor, Linux, is FREE...............

Greg Manning

• Like 1

11 hours ago, a31ford said:

FWIW,     Linux 19.1 cinnamon, with the Tessa desktop, running an older version of Windoze XP in a virtual box, is rock solid, the Linux is state of the art, and dam FAST,  and windoze XP is a great version (IMHO) better than 10 any flavor, Linux, is FREE...............

Greg Manning

I like that the "other" software runs natively on Linux too.  I work on big iron that uses a big iron OS but what most don't know is that the big iron OS runs on a Linux kernel!!!

• The topic was locked