Light-O-Rama Forums

Video mapping using LOR controllers

lonsenior

Has anyone combined a projector and LOR controllers. I want to add video mapping with my lights. What I need to know is can I add video to the sequences and play the video through the projector using the controllers.

Firstly, you need to be using a computer, not a director.

The PC needs to have a spare video output and the projector is hooked up like you would a second monitor

Then you simply use a video file in place of the normal audio file.

You might need to convert the video file to a suitable format. I believe mp4 works, but you can consult the docs for all the compatible formats.

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Firstly, you need to be using a computer, not a director.

The PC needs to have a spare video output and the projector is hooked up like you would a second monitor

Then you simply use a video file in place of the normal audio file.

You might need to convert the video file to a suitable format. I believe mp4 works, but you can consult the docs for all the compatible formats.

I will be using the computer. Will the LOR be able to start the projector as in it being an element of the sequence? Or will I have to start/stop the projector manually?

No expert here but I believe some projectors can be controlled by the PC, by means  of a batch or script file. That script could be sent by the Sequencer Windows Command.

Writing script is above my skill level. Looks like I will have to do it in After Effects in the form of a MP4 and use it that way.

From learning the basics of video to a matrix, I found that the Motion Effect "Movie" function, does this for us. It will send a video signal/images to a projector by using the video output that you choose. Now saying that, it means that you probably have to have a dual output card or more. I'm using a quad output card but its suited for workstation use and not video, but it does work. Once you obtain the desired video on the desired output port, you'll need to get that signal out to the projector. Doing a lot of research on this, I found there's really only two ways, hard-wired cable such as a long HDMI cable or using something like an HDMI transmitter/receiver to the projector. I don't own a projector yet so I've not actually tried this but the idea is very interesting...using both VDO Mapping and switch back to just normal things like pixels, strings and so on.