Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Spinner with Staff - Visualizer logic?

jwblazek

Adding many new props this year and may just be frustration, but...…..

Two of the new props I am adding this year are a pair of Pixel Spinners. Simple construction, 8 legs of PVC each with 12 Pixel nodes each and a staff holding it upright with 50 nodes.  I can get the spinner .lee easy enough to translate into SS, but can't figure out how to add the staff or pole with 50 nodes to translate into the SS sequencing grid logically for sequencing. I must be missing a step somewhere. Is there a means to map the visualizer into the grid that I am missing?

Pixel Spinner.lee

Yes.  You can specify the exact location of every prop and fixture in Visualizer and it will appear in that exact location on the SuperStar grid.  Note that once you start doing that on a visualization, you pretty much need to specify locations for every prop and fixture in that visualization or else you can easily end up with props overlapping on the SuperStar grid.  Look for SuperStar commands in both Prop and Fixture layouts in Visualizer.  Note that it will take a little trial and error to get it the way you want.  Here is an example of my last S4 Visualization imported into SuperStar.  This version is annotated with what most of the props are on the screen.  You can ignore the sequencing on the grid - this screen capture was originally made to show a particular error (long since fixed by Brian)

SuperStar_grid_2018_error.png

Thanks K6.

I guess I still can't figure out the logic or rhyme & reason a prop gets mapped to SS. Played with Vi and SS and all the parameters I could find including importing visualization pair\\/s. Gets close, I now have the staff or spinner uprights but the spinners get mapped wrong.

What I would like or suspect should be mapped in the sequencing grid is an  x 12 grid ( 8 arms x 12 pixels each) and the a 2 x 0 grid (2 poles of 50 pixels

Can't find a help file or tutorial, know of any?

spinner and staff.PNG

Figured this out after searching the help files. To quote from LOR's help file:

"Purpose of having two visualizations: Import Visualization Pair allows the import of a "Row Visualization" and a "Real Visualization".  If you already have a visualization of your light display, you probably laid the lights out to appear as they do in your actual display.  Use this visualization as your "Real Visualization".  You can move the fixtures and props around to organize them in rows and then save that visualization with a different name, and that becomes your "Row Visualization".  SuperStar will create the sequencing grid based upon how you have organized your "Row Visualization".  While entering normal effects, the "Row Visualization" will be displayed on the SuperStar screen.  During the playback of the sequence, the "Real Visualization" will be used.  When entering visEffects, the "Real Visualization" will be displayed.

Example of using two visualizations: This is a powerful feature that allows you to design how your lights are mapped to the sequencing grid.  For example, in your "Real Visualization", you might have some candy cane props where each candy cane has 12 channels, and you have four candy canes in a row.  By default, SuperStar looks for rows of lights, and it will fit as many lights as it can in each row on the sequencing grid.  But in this case, it is desirable to have each candy cane on its own row, so that you have four rows, each row with 12 squares for the 12 channels in each candy cane.  Then it is easy to create effects that go up and down all the candy canes, as well as effects that travel across the candy canes.  So, to accomplish this, you can move each of the four candy canes to their own row on the "Row Visualization", and still use the "Real Visualization" for playback and for entry of visEffects."

So what I need to do is move the various parts of the fixture so that it appears the way I need it in SS using Row Visualization  and import " Real Visualization" to see how it looks

Glad you figured it out.  I suspect you will have to play with it a bit to get it exactly the way you want on the row visualization.  Also note, leave room for changes.  If you rearrange things next year, it will affect your sequencing.

Valid point, well taken, Thanks again Jim

After your note, I realized "💡" I can add different props to be sequenced using SS at the same time. Up until now, I had been merging multiple SS files into SE

I have always sequenced the entire show in one visualization, so all props are shown at the same time.  That's actually one of my biggest issues with S5 is that's it's almost impossible to do it that way.  I'm figuring that sequencing each prop or small groups of props one at a time will take me between 5 and 10 times longer to sequence.

Thought I had this all figured out. I had completed a SS sequence for my 4 circles and then based on what I thought I had learned here and playing with Visualizer, added my spinners to the Vi. I then imported the new visualizer file to the existing sequence. This did not result in what I had expected. I had hoped all I'd have to do is to sequence the spinners but no, SS took my existing sequence and applied it to the spinners, leaving many of the circles  not seqeunced. SO, I went back to the visualizer and changed positions of the spinners and circles (two horizontal rows of the props) and imported that Vi file instead. Same thing.

How do I take an existing SS sequence and add new props to it without disrupting the existing sequence? I know I can merge and the import into SE, but was hoping to avoid that