Light-O-Rama Forums

Leaping Arches seqeucing ideas

jwblazek

We all have seen leaping arches, I have 8 of them in 2 different sizes;  4 - 8 string each incandescent, nostalgic item from when I first started years ago,  4 - 12' strip lights in transparent PEX and am adding 4 10' diameter hoops, each wrapped with 100 RGB pixels this year as well

My question is as I continue sequencing for this years display, anybody see any unique patterns? Not looking for sequences, but pattern ideas. I have my arches chase, leap from arch to arch, sway back and forth, bouncing vectors, rebounding  vectors, alternating marching colors, color washes etc

Anyone see anything really unique? Anyone have arches or hoops up at Halloween?

-john

9 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

We all have seen leaping arches, I have 8 of them in 2 different sizes;  4 - 8 string each incandescent, nostalgic item from when I first started years ago,  4 - 12' strip lights in transparent PEX and am adding 4 10' diameter hoops, each wrapped with 100 RGB pixels this year as well

My question is as I continue sequencing for this years display, anybody see any unique patterns? Not looking for sequences, but pattern ideas. I have my arches chase, leap from arch to arch, sway back and forth, bouncing vectors, rebounding  vectors, alternating marching colors, color washes etc

Anyone see anything really unique? Anyone have arches or hoops up at Halloween?

-john

Retire the arches and go with circles. I use circleS for Halloween and keep them up until after New Years.

Circles can be used as arches and more.

JR

Circles are  in this years sequences, 4 10' diameter RGB pixel ones. Have such a huge front yard, trying to populate it with props

The tops of my HC tombstones are Arches.  Someones tag line: "Imagine it. Do it!" sure applies to us

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, dibblejr said:

Retire the arches and go with circles. I use circleS for Halloween and keep them up until after New Years.

Circles can be used as arches and more.

JR

Oh no...say it ain't so! I JUST built my arches for this past year! I think I need to use them at LEAST one more year. And since I'm the only one around that I know of that goes to this length with a light show (there WERE some REALLY nice static shows around this past year), I don't think anyone is tired of it. Yet.

2 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Oh no...say it ain't so! I JUST built my arches for this past year! I think I need to use them at LEAST one more year. And since I'm the only one around that I know of that goes to this length with a light show (there WERE some REALLY nice static shows around this past year), I don't think anyone is tired of it. Yet.

The “OP” asked about hoops or arches for Halloween. When I had arches they were never out for Halloween but retired the arches for circles and never looked back.

Use your arches but have a look at how nice the circles look.

14 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Thanks….they DO look good. It will be a slow upgrade process.  

Here is a great example of circles looking like arches- I sequenced the faces for my great friend Sean5545 , Sean produces the circles for this one.

Use what you got and gradually add or retire things. James and I along with others have plenty of sequences to share once you need them.

James does use arches in his sequences.

• Like 1

I'm another person who just finally added arches in 2018!  No plans to replace with circles.  But I would, like the OP, be interested in other types of patterns to run through the arches. 😁

Your video gave me one new pattern idea I hadn't thought of, thanks JR. I am going to keep keep my 8 arches which will look tiny in comparison to my 4 -  10 foot diameter hoops this year. 

1 minute ago, jwblazek said:

Your video gave me one new pattern idea I hadn't thought of, thanks JR. I am going to keep keep my 8 arches which will look tiny in comparison to my 4 -  10 foot diameter hoops this year. 

You are welcome, always willing to share whenever I have something to contribute.

You may want to share that pattern idea with others.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4 - 3 channel orange incandescent bulbs in coro baby sidewalk arches{face painted black} that I have used since I got into this in 2009, 1st show, Halloween in 2010.  haven't used them the last couple years though.  Now they're just dust collectors.  Also had 4 non painted, clear incandescent bulbs, 4 arches - 3 channels each I used for Christmas.   Retired these after last years show, they were pretty well worn and time to do or go with something else.

Not sure I want to do circles, might try some triangles, rectangles or squares and see what I can do with them with some RGB lights and Controllers.  I want to be different from what most displays may be using or have in them.   may try something like a triangle inside a square and see how that looks and works out.

But this year for 2019, I'm only going to be doing a small indoor display for Christmas, doubt I may do much, if anything for Halloween this year, but still creating Halloween sequences just in case I do end up wanting to set something up inside the house for 2019.

• 2 months later...

Making a leaping arch is not my hard part, its how to sequence and animate.

I have 2 controllers 16 channels each I usually do 2 mega trees and use same music and sequence for all 32 channels. I would like to do just one mega tree this year with one controller and 2nd controller use for leaping arches 2 and smaller trees. Can I use LOR sequence filler and use for 17-32 channels in sequence editor for my arches.  Not real sure how all this is hooked up togeather with sequencing and animation. Any help would be appreciated.

Not real good with the music and sequencing. Anyone live in Lincoln Nebraska area tha could help?

Use beat wizard on any one channel of leaping arches and the use chase from that starting point. Use as many or as few as you want, alternating direction of chase so it appears the arches move back and forth. Should get you started

I have 4 arches on my Christmas display each using 7 led light strings. I like to take the sequence editor and use the beat tapper to get a general beat, then I have an animation only sequence file that I keep saving when I come up with a new sequence I like I save it there to copy/paste into my other files usually using the stretch sequence. So I'll start out creating something on the first 7 channels, if I get something I like I copy/paste the sequence into my music sequence using the stretch Stretch to Fit feature in the Paste Options as usually the arch patterns are running within the beat or half beat of the song.

You can see some of my patterns in the video I submitted this year: Ewles Christmas Lights 2018 - Small World Holiday

(WARNING: You may be singing It's a Small World for days after watching)

• The topic was locked