Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel matrix built but not able to play it back.

Poodleman61

Hello to anyone who can help. last year i finally bought my 1st AC controller and software. I didn't have too much trouble getting up and running. Im a retired roadie (LIghting and rigging mostly) everyone from Michael Jackson to barbara Striesand and years with REBA BROOKS and DUNN. I have invested in 2 pixcon 16's and 2000 pixel bulbs , 10 boxs of ribbon and the ribbon controllers. I am in the process of building my first window matrix 25 pixels up and 23 strings across. im not having trouble programming in the preveiw but my questions are about addressing and play back. I can get the pixels to turn on in the network prefferences but have yet to be able to program and see playback of what i built. Any advise and help would be appreciated. once i get one done then im sure i will be off to the races.Its not letting me upload pics for some reason so ive got 150 pixels per port using 8 ports for the first matrix. Thanks in advance.

Yours truely, Mark L. Swartz.

P.S. I'll be in the Garage working on this.

Where in So. Cal. are you?

Should be able to help.  A phone call would likely be easier.  I'll PM you a number.

One bit of advice I wanted to give about uploading pics to your matrix.  Keep in mind that most phones or even pics downloaded from a computer are HIgh Def with several hundreds to thousands of pixels.  When importing a pic to your matrix of only about 500 pixels, it will be very distorted and pixelated.  I have a matrix on my roof that is 126 wide by 63 tall and to help make the pics look better, I use a  program called Paint.Net to draw or modify the pics I use.  I set the canvas size to the same size as my matrix that way every square I paint on the program then corresponds to the same pixel on my matrix. Jim is very knowledgeable with setting things up, but if you still have questions, ask away.  I do use several Pixcon16's in my set up and could possibly help as well.

Thanks,  I'm aware that it wont look right with the pixels on 2" centers for pictures but that's is not what I will be doing with these. Think Pink Floyd meets Christmas. My problem right now is playback to the matrix. I have yet to make that happen. I can get them to chase in the test program but cant make a sequence play back. So any input to that end would be helpful.  I have over 6000.oo in new toys but not much tech knowledge to this end yet. I will get there eventually. 

First off since you are using a Pixcon you didn't mention what mode, RS-485 or E1.31.

Second, when a controller works in the HU (test mode) and not in the actual programming then 99% of the time it's your configuration.

If using the Pixcon in RS-485 (LOR) mode are you aware of how the Unit ID's work?

Edited by Mr. P

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

First off since you are using a Pixcon you didn't mention what mode, RS-485 or E1.31.

Second, when a controller works in the HU (test mode) and not in the actual programming then 99% of the time it's your configuration.

If using the Pixcon in RS-485 (LOR) mode are you aware of how the Unit ID's work?

I talked to him for quite a while last night on the phone.  He is running it in E1.31 mode.

Are you using the pixcon.for the matrix? If so, could you tell me how you addressed it and how to see it playback. I'm really out of options on how to see what I've done.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

We are set up in ELOR Regular com 3. 1000k EnhANCED. DMX Universes 1 thru 8. Ip address of 192.168.0.51. Right now both of the lights on the board are solid. The subnet mask is showing 255.255.255.0 I dont even know what that means. Pixel port setup is 1thru 8 ports are also 1 thru 8 starting universes. Start channel is 1. 150 pixels each end universe is 1thru 8. When I put a random butterfly effect on the matrix s5 software.  I can see it in the preview but it doesn't playback on my pixel display.  I hope I gave you enough info so you know what's wrong. If you need more ask away.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. I'm using the serial port out of my windows 10 PC.  To a switch then out to said pixcon16's.

Edited by Poodleman61
Wasn't finished

No, I dont think I truly understand the unit I'd. I did mention that I was coming off a switch so I'm using the serial port, going to a switch then out to the 2 pistons. The RS485 will be used later for the ac controller s. Right now I'm just trying to get my feet wet with the pixels.

Based on our phone call last night, I thought you were using E1.31 - NOT ELOR for the PixCon.  Everything we set up last night was for E1.31.  You can have ELOR networks in addition to E1.31.  E1.31 would connect to your "normal" computer LAN and the silver RJ-45 on the Pixcon.

Jim, we set the thing up last nite to come off the LAN and then to the switch and then to the pixcon. Jim, I'm out tonight but when I get home I am going to send you some pics of what we set up on the PC. When you have time no hurry, but could you look at my configuration  and comment? 

Jim, it is working and tomorrow I will be programming.  I want to thank you for all the help that you have given me. I hope that I can call you as I get closer for more advise.

Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. P. i dont think i know how to keep it simple. LOL. Like i said in earlier posts. i have gotten the pixcons working. NOW my problem is with the CMB24 for my Flood lites. I still dont understand the Addressing process or the unit ID's i think. In the hardware utility i can discover the CMB24 . I can get the Controller to test the Floods but play back is not happening.

Have you launched the LOR "Control Panel"? It is the program that sends the data to the Pixcon16 and all other DMX/E1.31 controllers. It will launch and just sit on the task bar and requires no other intervention.

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

Have you launched the LOR "Control Panel"? It is the program that sends the data to the Pixcon16 and all other DMX/E1.31 controllers. It will launch and just sit on the task bar and requires no other intervention.

Yes, the control panel is launched. The Matrix's that I have built are working Fantastic. They are Coming from my Ethernet Connection on my windows 10 Laptop. Then I have 2 USB ports on the other side where I am connected to the RS485 adapter and into the CMB24. From the Hardware utility, it will discover the CMB24 Addressed as 01. The lights on the CMB are then solid and I can test the Floods. I am pretty sure at this point that it has a lot to do with how I have the Floods addressed in the software portion. I also think that this will be my issue moving forward when I get to the other controllers (PIXY16'S AND THE A/C CONTROLLERS, THE TREE PACKAGE,AND SO ON). Once I have a firm grasp of the Addressing and unit ID world, I think I will be off to the Races. So The PIXCON16's are on the Serial port going to a switch then out to the two Pixcon's That is working fine No Problems . Then the USB port on the other side of my Laptop to the RS485 then connected directly to the CMB24. Maybe a little help walking thru this portion could give me the grasp that I am looking for. Much appreciate all you guys and you knowledge.

Firstly in case you missed it, the CMB24 needs an ID setting by means of the dip switches on the board. I think if you set it from the hardware utility, it won't "stick" after a power off.

Secondly, it sounds like you have one other ID on your LOR RS 485 network, an AC controller, so the CMB 24 needs to be different, ID 2 perhaps which should be set on the dip switches. See the manual for switch positions. 

Then in Sequencer Preview definition, you need to set up however many floods you have as that ID and start circuit number. Each flood will use three circuits. 

Flood 1 will be 1 to 3 and flood 2 will be 4 to 6 and so on. I have never done it on S5, and I don't want to mess my preview up so you may need to experiment a bit, 

However I think if you right click on the background of the preview window and click Add Item, the choose LOR Controller, in the following dialog you can choose the controller type and fill in the blanks.

PoodleMan; Please allow me to add some clarification based upon your terminology which is causing questions.

LOR typically uses ID #'s for the RS485/Serial network. Those come from a USB port, to the USB/RS485 adapter. From there, the cat5 wire you are then using out of the RS485 adapter, runs out to the first controller to one of the two RJ45/Cat5 connections. The other one, allows you to daisy-chain off that controller and connect to the next controller and so on. You could literally hang up to 64 devices/controllers out there on that single daisy-chain but it I wouldn't recommend it. CMB24's and numerous others, use this type of protocol...serial/RS485 data. It is not TCPIP or internet even though it uses the same type of Cat5 cables and RJ45 connectors.

E1.31 is TCPIP DMX over Internet. This usually comes out of an internet connection from your laptop or desktop to a possible internet "switch". From that switch, you could come out on several ports to various E1.31 devices such as Pixcon16's, AlphaPix, JoshuaSystems and several others. This type of data IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SERIAL DATA.  

As was pointed out already, if you try to mix these, you will fry either or both, your controllers and your computer. I suggest that if you place a E1.31 controller directly adjacent to an RS485 controller, you somehow color or tag the comm cables so that you don't accidentally mix them up and plug into the wrong device.

The Pixcon16, can use either type but you "must" be very, very careful which port you plug the Cat5 cable into, based on which type of comm you are using for it. Wrong cable into the wrong port, it and or your computer get toasted.

So, USB port output, goes to the LOR Serial RS485 adapter then to Serial type controllers. TCPIP/Internet/Ethernet goes to a switch and then to TCPIP devices only.

Edited by dgrant

dgrant, o.k., here is what I have so far that I do know about. I have two Pixcon 16's . Coming off my laptop running windows 10. I am going out to my Switch then Feeding Pixcon#1 and a separate line from the Switch to Pixcon #2. there IP Address's are 192.168.0.51 and 192.168.0.52 respectively. I am aware that they are separate from the CMB24 which I have plugged to a usb port then to the RS485 then out to the CMB24.We did the Addressing for the Pixcon's in Network preferences. and then I have been going to the Hardware utility to configure the CMB. Whenever I open the hardware utility it tells me that there is something running already on Com 3. and that it has to stop the Com listener (I THINK) Im writing this from work on my lunch break so im not home to look at it more closely. I can get the spots to chase in the Hardware Utility so im sure they are working. Im just doing something Stupid and don't know what it is yet.

I once again want to thank each and everyone of you who chime in here. As this will only be a great learning experience. I was a lighting guy on the Road for 13 years really big tours 20 trucks and Bigger Mostly all DMX. So in order to make those shows happen on time. everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING was marked and color coded. Once I get thru this little hiccup, I will color code everything and label as I go.

thanks again all.

As dgrant mentioned you must set the Unit ID on the CMB24 by using the dip switches on the board not the HU. All controllers on your E1.31 networks are identified by IP addresses, all controllers on your RS485 networks will be identified by Unit IDs. Unit ID settings can be found on page 20 of the CMB24 manual here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/Documents/CMB24D_Man_Web.pdf

The CMB24 and  CTB16 use one Unit ID per controller. The Pixcon16 and the Pixie series controllers use as many sequential Unit IDs as the controller has ports. A Pixcon16 and Pixie16 uses 16 sequential IDs, a Pixie8 uses 8 sequential IDs and so on.

Keep in mind that if you ever want to use your Pixcon16 on a RS485 network then you will need to upgrade your license to a Pro level.

Edited by Mr. P

(A) I thought i was at the pro level but here it tells me that im only at advanced. (B) I think i will just keep them separate for now.

So , with the Pixcons using 16 unit ID's/controller does that mean that my next unit ID's need to be above 32?.....16 for each Pixcon? And can the CMB24 still be Unit ID# 01 because it is coming from the serial port?ANDDDDDDD i also bought 2 PIXI 16's which will eventually run 10 box's of SMart Pixels 2811 CCR-II's so they are gonna need 32 more unit id's . Correct?