Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone have experience with this company?

airborneSRT

I'm looking at getting some SPT-1 wire and this site https://www.holidayinternationalinc.com/ has no posted prices, but when asking I got a response from billdorsey@hotmail.com. I asked about it and he wanted my cc info before giving me a total.  In my head, it screams scam, but I figured I would ask here if anyone else has heard from them. The 500' spool was $45 plus tax and shipping and a 3% cc fee. At first, it seemed a good price, well now it doesnt. Thanks

18 minutes ago, airborneSRT said:

I'm looking at getting some SPT-1 wire and this site https://www.holidayinternationalinc.com/ has no posted prices, but when asking I got a response from billdorsey@hotmail.com. I asked about it and he wanted my cc info before giving me a total.  In my head, it screams scam, but I figured I would ask here if anyone else has heard from them. The 500' spool was $45 plus tax and shipping and a 3% cc fee. At first, it seemed a good price, well now it doesnt. Thanks

Your best bet is to buy from a well known company.

JR

A fee for CC use is against the Mastercard or Visa merchant agreements (there is an exception for Government Agencies). They can give a discount for cash.

Shipping and HANDLING was a way around the NO MINIMUMS rule.

Yep! If it looks to good, it probably is. $45 is cheap for a 250' roll of SPT1

These days, i personally have a problem with sites that can't manage to include an E- commerce plugin. Rings my alarm bells anyway.

• Like 1

I guess I'll just wait for the LOR summer sale in August. I know for a fact they are real and they usually have the best price.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

A fee for CC use is against the Mastercard or Visa merchant agreements

I not sure about everywhere but here in OHIO they can charge a fee, most ATM;s charge a 2.50 fee plus what your bank wants to charge up to 5.00 when you dont use your own banks ATM. Also some gas stations charge a .10 per gal fee when using a card vs cash. and covenant store ( most ) have a 7-10 dollar min. purchase or it is a .50-.75 c fee. 

Now with all that said. This sounds like a big scam to me, requiring you CC info before they give you a price, not listing prices onsite and still requiring a CC fee when your spending more than 10 bucks. Yup, smells like a scam to me. hope you didnt give your CC info to him to get that price. If so let us know if you have a fraudulent charge when you didnt even buy anything.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, I agree with others. I'm not giving anyone a CC number to get a total on a purchase. You give me the total before the purchase.

+1 on the ecommerce issue, too. They are not hard to set up, even on a limited budget.

2 hours ago, airborneSRT said:

give a wrong credit card number and see what happens.  I personally have bad feelings about a website that will not list prices, why do I have to ask if your trying to sell?  Shipping I can understand, especially on wire can be expensive because of weight.  But if I have to ask for a price, I've already moved on... 

ATM cards have different rules than Credit (only) cards. Those can charge fees. Protections on Credit Cards are by Federal law. ATM cards are simply the good will of the issuer.

The problem with ATM cards that have a Visa Logo, is No pin is required for Credit card mode. I made my bank issue an ATM only card (no CC logo). AFAIK It also, only works in their ATM's (MY CC has been compromised 2 times, one time the bank caught it, the other I protested. Both cases, transactions were on the wrong coast.)

3 hours ago, Mr Grunts said:

I not sure about everywhere but here in OHIO they can charge a fee, most ATM;s charge a 2.50 fee plus what your bank wants to charge up to 5.00 when you dont use your own banks ATM. Also some gas stations charge a .10 per gal fee when using a card vs cash. and covenant store ( most ) have a 7-10 dollar min. purchase or it is a .50-.75 c fee. 

Now with all that said. This sounds like a big scam to me, requiring you CC info before they give you a price, not listing prices onsite and still requiring a CC fee when your spending more than 10 bucks. Yup, smells like a scam to me. hope you didnt give your CC info to him to get that price. If so let us know if you have a fraudulent charge when you didnt even buy anything.

Just my 2 cents

I just paid a $2 surcharge for using a visa debit card today to get my glasses repaired.   The customer in front of me complained I and heard the clerk say they have been charging this way for over 20 years.   

So, I wrote him back and said I preferred a total price before I give cc info. So from the $45 plus per 500' SPT-1 wire, the total he quoted me was $165.85. I can get it cheaper on Amazon. So I replied with "thank you not for that price". Then with some more searching, I found these guys https://www.totalbulklighting.com/  2 500' spools comes to $114.30! and they use PayPal so it is way more credible. Set to ship September 1st, so it sucks to have to wait. Let's hope it works out. I'll keep my eye out.

Edited by airborneSRT

Not surprised on the big jump in price, 1000' of wire is about 28 pounds.  You can fit 2 spools of 250' or 1 spool of 500' in a large flat rate box. So about total $35 through USPS.  Not sure how it costs $75 to ship it through who ever.  Must be his profit built into the shipping price.  Great deal if you can pick up locally.

8 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I just paid a $2 surcharge for using a visa debit card today to get my glasses repaired.   The customer in front of me complained I and heard the clerk say they have been charging this way for over 20 years.   

Sadly ATM "debit" cards with Credit Card Logo's don't have the same rules.  On bank debit cards backed by a CC Logo allows businesses to charge any fee they want or feel they can get away with.   If I pay my power bill at Amscot I have to pay a quote "convenience fee" to use it, even if I pay the power bill online or over the phone, I get hit with a fee, Amscot iI think it's $3.00, online or over the phone it's $5.00!   So I still go the old fashioned way and send a paper check, no fees.  Same way with my AT&T bill if I pay it online, so they get a paper check too.  It's ridiculous some of the fees being charged for using an "ATM card".

I always wondered how a company would feel if I countered with an invoice for $20 and label it as an "INCONVENIENCE FEE" for charging me a "convenience fee".  And state that their convenience fee is an inconvenience to me to have to pay extra for a transaction that shouldn't cost anything!  In this day of electronic payments, I find it a bit ludicrous that ATM style bank cards backed with the CC Logo's have charges like this on them.

But if I have to ask a price and give my bank info or ATM card info before I get a price, I'm moving on as fast as I can leave that site or just hanging up the phone if I called them.    Personally if a site doesn't list pricing for anything they sell, I'm out of there.  Too many scams run rampant these days to give anyone personal info like that, just does not sound at all reputable, and if you don't get what you ordered, or you get something that isn't what you thought it was, probably be impossible to get a refund on it.  Nope, not going to take that chance and end up losing any of my money or possibly have my bank account compromised by some underhanded vermin.

I purchase all of my SPT cord from Americord.  1000 feet was $.14/ft. I have not been able to find it cheaper. 

Here is where I've been getting my SPT 1 www.wireandcableyourway.com. Its $27.00 per 250'. last yr I have bought 1000 feet. it works great for extension cords or I use it to splice into my light cords to extend out the plug. That way i don't have to make and keep up with so many cord. i found out that you can have as many boxes of cords as you do lights strings. plus when I roll up my lights i don't have to mark or keep up with which cord goes where.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 10:22 AM, cgiambruno said:

I purchase all of my SPT cord from Americord.  1000 feet was $.14/ft. I have not been able to find it cheaper. 

LOL I had to go down the Google search to the 7th entry, the first 6 were all Cord blood websites. Right now the price is $0.17 for black or $0.21 for green. Not the best price I have seen. Thanks though I'll keep checking for sales and reductions!

On 5/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, Life With Lights said:

Here is where I've been getting my SPT 1 www.wireandcableyourway.com. Its $27.00 per 250'. last yr I have bought 1000 feet. it works great for extension cords or I use it to splice into my light cords to extend out the plug. That way i don't have to make and keep up with so many cord. i found out that you can have as many boxes of cords as you do lights strings. plus when I roll up my lights i don't have to mark or keep up with which cord goes where.

I just ordered some 4 gauge cable for a subpanel I am installing from this site. Best price around. The price for the SPT-1 is really good too. If it only had free shipping it would be the best. If I was in a rush I would have got it from this site. My other order comes much later. Thanks though, it is bookmarked for future purchases (as I guess we all come to find out we get more and more)

• The topic was locked