Light-O-Rama Forums

Quick question for those who use 1" pex tubing for arches-

When you buy the 100' roll from Lowes/Home Depot, how are you straightening it out? 

I have started playing with it today, but it looks more like a mushroom than an arch as the bottoms are trying to turn in making a circle.  I bought a 10' section for testing which made a nice arch, but I need pieces that are 10' 6".

I never could get it to straighten out.  The last thing I tried was to put it under close to a half ton of pull across my yard and leave it out in the hot southern California sun for almost four months.  When I loosened the tension, it went right back to the original coiled size within a few minutes.

I ended up using the 3/4 inch straight pieces that Home Depot sells.  See:

http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

I cut mine to length and put a piece of EMT inside the 1" Sharkbite.    Left them out in the SoCal sun for a few days and they were fine.  There was still a slight bend at the ends but once I put them in the bases it wasn't noticeable.  A heat gun might help too

I use pex for circles but created cross-braces from pvc to help keep it in shape. I also use larger pex for a driveway arch but its a pain to work with and keep it in the desired shape. So far, I've got two pieces of gray pvc, tie-strapped to the pex, in order to get the arch shape. Still not perfect but better.