Light-O-Rama Forums

Superstar will not load

Rod Pauley

If I click on an previous superstar file it does not load. If I go to start menu and click on superstar it loads and then I can open the one I tried to load before and it works. I am using Windows 10 and it seems like this problem started after one of their updates but not sure of that. Also tried reloading software with no help.

A couple of possibilities spring to mind. 

I presume you are looking at the files in Windows explorer. Are you sure you are looking at the right file and not a similar filename with a different extension. The Superstar icon should show up next to the filename. If you do not have "show extensions" turned on in Windows it is sometimes tricky to spot the correct file. If the file opens through Superstar the file must be OK. Either Windows does not know what to do with it or you may have the wrong file.

I tried double clicking on a .sup file on a computer with the current release and it failed to open the file.

The LOR installer should create a program association with each file type and the Windows operating system stores this association. Either the LOR installer failed to create that association, or if you ever open a .sup file with another program it could cause Windows to stop having that association.

I will ask Mike to check into the program/file association in the LOR installer.

Until then, the work around is to do the following:

1) using file explorer, find a .sup file and right click on it and select "open with" in the menu that pops up

2) click on "more apps" and scroll down to the bottom of the list of apps

3) click on "look for another app on this pc"

4) go to Program Files (x86) / Lightorama  and select SSEdit.exe

5) make sure "Always use this app for .sup files" is selected and click on Ok

This will create the association in the Windows operating system and you should be able to double click on a .sup file and it will launch superstar

Brian, I just looked at the sample .sup files in my LOR directory, and indeed they do not seem to be associated. This is on 5.2.4, OP's profile says 4.3.24

They were not associated for me either. It was easy to fix.

I only have the Demo version of SS

the work around did not work for me...….. I am using version 4.4.4.....  just updated my profile.

FYI

I did check on my second computer which I actually use to run lights and it has version 4.3.24. Everything works fine there. Thinking back I do remember having an problem with a version after 4.3.24 and reverted back to that on the second computer for the Christmas season.

Edited by Rod Pauley

The workaround is a Windows operating system thing. If the workaround doesn't work it is a Windows operating system issue, I don't see how superstar could effect things. In other words, if the operating system is not even trying to launch superstar then it indicates that Windows never recorded the "Use this app for .sup files"

OK I uninstalled LOR and then reinstalled version 4.3.24 and it worked

Upgraded to 4.3.26 and that still worked

Upgraded to 4.3.34 and that did not work...…….   tried 4.4.4 again and that did not work either