Light-O-Rama Forums

Types Of Networks - for Large Neighborhood Systems

8Track

If I understand correctly, there are actually not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, but five (5) types of networks!?? Correct ???
See the large picture on this page:
http://www1.lightorama.com/big-picture/

They are:

1. LOR
2. DMX
3. LOR High Speed
4. LOR High-Speed Enhanced
5.LAN (Local Area Network) i.e. standard computer networking

Is there a chart that tells you how far you can run either of these networks before you start to lose signal? And if you do lose signal, what if any boosters are available to extend the network length?

Thanks,
Ken

Actually there are really only two:

RS485 (LOR) - good out to 4,000 ft., may need multiple networks as network is limited on channels due to slow speed (even high speed LOR is slow and limited)

E1.31 (DMX) -  which is good out to 300ft unless you add a switch to regenerate signal, practically unlimited channels due to much higher speeds.

There are really only 2 types. The rest are protocols or enhancements (power).

LOR/DMX are RS485.  4000' is the theoretical max if terminated (120 ohm) at the far end only. Star configuration would need special RS485  switckes

Ethernet based (LOR/DMX ei.31)  have 100M (300') length limit BUT can be extended  and stared by placing a network switch along the way. Wireless (WiFi access points) might be used, but can introduce timing skews on that leg (avoid using the same WiFi  network as your Internet as other traffic will make the problem worse

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Actually there are really only two:

RS485 (LOR) - good out to 4,000 ft., may need multiple networks as network is limited on channels due to slow speed (even high speed LOR is slow and limited)

E1.31 (DMX) -  which is good out to 300ft unless you add a switch to regenerate signal, practically unlimited channels due to much higher speeds.

We almost said the exact same thing 😛

23 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

We almost said the exact same thing 😛

I keep getting this protocol and carrier thing all confused so I do the best I can. I just know RS485 and E1.31 😁

<------  Lookee there, 3,000 posts  😁

Edited by Mr. P

Now to add some more to it.  Both LAN (E1.31) and RS-485 (LOR and DMX) have wireless options.  Since you are asking about a neighborhood, wireless can make crossing the street far easier.  Note that RS-485 over wireless is VERY limited in channel capacity.  E1.31 over Wireless can go many miles under the right circumstances.

what are you specific requirements?