james morris

HP Envy 795-0020   8th gen Intel core i7-8700

12gb ram     2 - 1tb hardrives

256 gb sata solid state drive

AMD Radeon 550; RX 550 graphics 4gb GDDRS

1  48 inch monter 1 27 inch curve monter

Boes spearers

• Like 1

Wow, that's an awesome new setup you got there!  I bet you love the speed of the new computer and the size of the new monitors.  Did you have to buy a new desk too? 

About a month ago I bought an HP Pavilion Gaming 690-0034 desktop on sale for $699.  I would have preferred an Intel Core i7 processor, but so far no complaints about the AMD Ryzen 7- 2700 processor.  I'm currently doing lots of research on multiple products and have 90 internet browser sessions open between Chrome and Firefox,  and even with that many browser sessions open there is absolutely no delay or lag.  My old i3 desktop would choke if I had more than 8 browser sessions open.

Here's a CPU benchmark comparison of our processors which shows your i7 having a slight edge over my Ryzen 7.   https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-8700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700/3099vs3240   

I can't wait to start doing some video editing on my new computer.  I bet you're really enjoying your new HP too!

Still setting it up had to order some mounting screw to put the second hard drive in and had to order a plug for the second monitor wa

Nice setup James, similar specs to the laptop I got last summer with the I7-8700. Sometimes I go into my theater room and connect my laptop to my projector, ever seen SE on a 180" screen? The timing squares are as big as my head.  😁

That is similar to my new one middle of last year.  I have a Dell XPX8930 with the same CPU that you have but with 16GB of RAM.  Like you, C drive is a 256GB SSD, and I have a 2 TB spinning disk for E.  Funny part of that is that I really did not need the large drive since everything gets saved on my server.  So I use the Family room desktop as one of the backups for the RAID array in the server...  For video I have the GeForce 1070 Ti with two 24 inch monitors - left one in landscape and the right one in portrait.  Using Windows 10 Pro for the OS.  One of these days, I want to add a third monitor...  I need to re-arrange my space here  in order to have room for a third monitor however.

10 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

If you have the connections on the MB then get a PCIe SSD as they are 2.5x faster then the sata SSDs.

Yes, mine is the M.2 SSD - not SATA and damn is it fast!

M.2 is just the connection type, sata or PCIe is the interface. Both interfaces can connect M.2 but the NVMe PCIe interface is much faster then sata.

Sata  = 600 mbs

PCIe = 2,000 mbs

Edited by Mr. P

Got the computer up all software loaded. Now have to re load all mp3 in the sequences and then reload the secquences into the show secuduler take about 2 weeks to do it

35 minutes ago, james morris said:

Got the computer up all software loaded. Now have to re load all mp3 in the sequences and then reload the secquences into the show secuduler take about 2 weeks to do it

If you don't sleep, you can do it in half that time. :D

Hint for future.  On all my computers, the LOR directory is a mapped network drive of L:  Does not matter if that is a local drive (such as the not network connected laptop) or truly a network drive (on the server).  That means when I replaced my sequencing computer last year, as soon as I set up the network map and told LOR where to store files, everything was already there.  Also means for the three computers on the network, any change on one computer is automatically on the others.  Only time I have to do something on the computer that is playing shows is if I change a Windows Command in a sequence - because you have to restart the show player for those changes to be recognized.

• The topic was locked