Light-O-Rama Forums

First purchase

Bobothegreat

Hello everyone. I am about to get my first kit and just want to make sure I have everything I need to setup for next Christmas

- software

- connector with usb voltage boost

-cat 5 cable

- a fm transmitter

- 1 controller

5 hours ago, Bobothegreat said:

Hello everyone. I am about to get my first kit and just want to make sure I have everything I need to setup for next Christmas

- software

- connector with usb voltage boost

-cat 5 cable

- a fm transmitter

- 1 controller

Why do you feel the need for a voltage booster?

Also you can get that all on the residential starter kit. Save a little $ from the individual sale price.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

If you ever add accessories like an easy light linker or MP3 Director unit, you need the voltage booster adapter to power them.  Unless you're using an AC to DC voltage adapter, then you wouldn't need that option.  But I bought mine, never know if an adapter may fail or maybe you don't have the space for one of those large wal-warts and be able to plug other things in, since they tend to be outlet hogs, that is, they cover an unused outlet that could be used tpo power other things, like an extension cord to a controller.

On 3/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, dibblejr said:

Why do you feel the need for a voltage booster?

Also you can get that all on the residential starter kit. Save a little $ from the individual sale price.

JR

I figured if I expand later on it could be useful 

8 hours ago, Bobothegreat said:

I figured if I expand later on it could be useful 

Everything needed will be included in the residential starter package. Since you are talking about starting out with one controller it will take a real considerable expansion before you'd ever need the adapter with voltage booster.

Just trying to give you some advice and save you a $ that might be useful elsewhere. You would be better off purchasing a "red" RS485 HS adapter so when you want to get into pixels. They are backwards compatible and unlike the black adapters will work with all current controllers on the LOR network.

http://store.lightorama.com/shcestpa.html        -Everything required

vs

http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html    -Add FM Transmitter a lot of us use after market transmitter but the LOR transmitter may suit you well depending on your circumstances. Also uses your pc so not director required. That is the dif in the prices - #1 comes with everything to run your show standalone #2 you use your computer and need FM transmitter.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Related question, The red RS485 high speed to USB adapters...will they work with the older professional controllers, metal enclosures?

3 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Related question, The red RS485 high speed to USB adapters...will they work with the older professional controllers, metal enclosures?

Yes  they will.      But that does not mean older controllers will run at the higher speeds.     If you want to use a higher speed..all the controllers connected to the red RS485 must support that speed.    

Just now, ItsMeBobO said:

Yes  they will.      But that does not mean older controllers will run at the higher speeds.     If you want to use a higher speed..all the controllers connected to the red RS485 must support that speed.    

Ok, I knew they wouldn't communicate at the higher speeds but wasn't sure if they would slow down the entire network

6 minutes ago, dgrant said:

Ok, I knew they wouldn't communicate at the higher speeds but wasn't sure if they would slow down the entire network

Your network simply will not work if you mix Gen3 with older controllers. That was my experience so I got rid of all Gen 1 & 2's. There is no slowing down. The first controller in line will/ may work but if the 2nd is not the same network speed it will fail from there on down the line. Based on my experience.

I have no experience with Pro Grade controllers.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Just now, dgrant said:

Ok, Thank You. I'll just run those two controllers on a separate network to be safe.

Best Idea. Now I got off the all "6" count. My luck is already bad enough no sense taking chances. 

JR

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

Ok, Thank You. I'll just run those two controllers on a separate network to be safe.

I have one Gen 2. I just marked it as a reminder to keep it on the slow (low data rate devices) network. I also use different colored CAT5 cables, depending in the network (Don't give Murphy a level playing field :) )