Light-O-Rama Forums

Directional Parametric Speakers vs. FM Broadcast

Boater227

Has anybody tried using directional parametric speakers rather than FM Broadcast to minimize complaints from neighbors while making sound available to your admiring audience?

I doubt it. Sounds overly complex, and with few advantages. The whole point of FM is that nobody outside of guests vehicles will hear it. I also suspect the bass would be seriously compromised 

Edited by PhilMassey

I am running speakers in addition to FM, but they are omni speakers.  I keep the volume down enough that it is barely audible across the street.  It really is intended only for people who are on foot on the sidewalk in front of my house.

I HIGHLY recommend against not having an FM transmitter.  Even here in warm southern California, almost everyone is in their vehicle with the windows up.  About the only people on foot are neighbors who stop while walking by (can you say walking the dog), and me.  It is very rare to have someone park and get out of their vehicle.   I think I have only visited one display that did not have an FM transmitter.  They had the yard speakers so quiet that I could hardly hear it when parked directly across the street.  Made it almost worthless.

I used to use my stage moniters for outdoor speakers, which are quite directional.  While I didn't get any complaints from my immediate neighbors, I got a police complaint from a half block away from someone who said the music was rattling their windows.  Redirecting the speaker about an inch solved it.

+1 for HAVING an FM Transmitter.

+1 for having Outdoor Speakers set at a LOW volume level.

I use both and no problems from the neighbors.

However, some folks DO PLAY their CAR STEREO too LOUD, so I had to add an announcement between songs: "Please keep your radio to a low volume level, this is so not to disturb our neighbors, not doing so will get you a visit from our local Security Officer who will tell you to turn it down, if you do not comply, he will ask you to leave the property.  If you do not comply with that request, he will get local law enforcement involved, and no one wants that.  Thank you for complying.  On with the show."  {Anyone that has a neighborhood Security Officer and needs such an announcement, feel feel to copy and use this one.  Or modify for your needs.}

Always has to be one that wants the BASS so loud it vibrates EVERYONE'S windows, doors and home.  And it's worse in a manufactured home as the entire house, walls, windows and plumbing fixtures are all affected by way too much Bass!

Edited by Orville

36 minutes ago, Orville said:

"Please keep your radio to a low volume level, this is so not to disturb our neighbors, not doing so will get you a visit from our local Security Officer who will tell you to turn it down, if you do not comply, he will ask you to leave the property.  If you do not comply with that request, he will get local law enforcement involved, and no one wants that.  Thank you for complying.  On with the show." 

When I can hear the music inside my house I think neighbors can too.   I just dial down the volume at show computer to off until they drive away.   A few times years ago, when there was a loud car, I played a recorded message but the words weren't as threatening as yours. 

But back to the OP.   Buy a transmitter if you are worried about complaints.

2 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

When I can hear the music inside my house I think neighbors can too.   I just dial down the volume at show computer to off until they drive away.   A few times years ago, when there was a loud car, I played a recorded message but the words weren't as threatening as yours. 

But back to the OP.   Buy a transmitter if you are worried about complaints.

That works fine IF you are at home.  But many times I'm not, so I needed something to put between the show songs as a reminder.  I only use those keep your radio down blurbs in my show on nights I *know* I'll be out for the evening and may not get home until after show time ends.

I agree OP should invest in a transmitter, in this hobby you really *do* need one. 

Plus I use mine on occasion to play my favorite compilation of music on my outdoor speakers when just lounging outdoors on my swing, or if I'm working out in the yard, but only during the off season times. ;)  So my transmitter does get a workout all year round. :D

Thanks all.  I was looking at parametric directional speakers because I am decorating my dock in a boating community.  With standard speakers and volume down, sound will not be heard over the noise of boat engines.  Many boats of course do have FM radio, so I think the FM Broadcast is a no-brainer.

Still looking for something that can be heard over boat engines but not disturb neighbors on the other side of the canal...

3 hours ago, Boater227 said:

Thanks all.  I was looking at parametric directional speakers because I am decorating my dock in a boating community.  With standard speakers and volume down, sound will not be heard over the noise of boat engines.  Many boats of course do have FM radio, so I think the FM Broadcast is a no-brainer.

Still looking for something that can be heard over boat engines but not disturb neighbors on the other side of the canal...

I don't think there is such a beast. Especially at night, I can hear the Shoreline Amphitheater or Stanford Football. Both are miles away (in different directions), and over built up land. Over water, the sound will travel further as there are no obsticles to break it up (cancellation scatter).

• The topic was locked