Light-O-Rama Forums

PSU fan constantly ON

~DOC~

Well I received my PSU and finally powered it up. Immediately the fan kicked on. It’s suppose to be temperature regulated off and on. Supplier says it is always on. Box stamping says otherwise. I am wondering is this normal or as I suspect there is something wrong. A little new with these PSU’s so not sure.

34 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Let's start off with - What power supply?

Description

Product Description Input Voltage:  AC110V/220V Output Voltage: DC 12V Output Current: 0~40A Net Weight:  800gram Demension: 215*112*50mm Shell Material: Metal case / Aluminum case Safety Compliance: CCC / Rohs High price-effective, reliability with industry standards Built-in over voltage, over current, and short circuit protection Working Temperature: 0~40C Storage Temperature: -20~60C Ambient Humidity:  0~95% Non-Condensation   Item Features: 100% brand new switching power supply transformer Unique cooling fans design Universal AC input / full range Auto-recovery after protection LED indicator for power on Design with Built-in EMI Filter, improve signal precision This Power Supply Unit "DOES NOT" come with installation instruction, wiring cable, on/off switch, or screws. installation of qualified electrician is highly recommended   Application: Widely used in industrial automation, LED strips,LED display, CCTV security cameras,communications, etc. Package: 1 piece 12V 40A 500W power supply

Features & details

Switching Power Supply Driver, Convert 100V-240V include 110V/220V,12V 40A 500W

Wide Range Voltage Input 100V - 240V,Over-voltage Protection:115%-135%. Choose 110V/220V before use

Wide input voltage range, steady and precise output voltage, Shortage Protection,Overload Protection

Action output cut-off Reset:Auto Reset or fuse, Inteligent device surge protection for While Shortage, Overload, Over Voltage

Steady Voltage ouput power transformer for electronics, Led Lighting, home appliance etc

12V 40A 500W Switching Power Supply Driver for CCTV Camera LED Strip AC 100-240V Input to DC 12V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077N22T6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8eDACbTAY39A5

Edited by ~DOC~

The link at the end was the useful part.  No where in the product description does it state either way on the fan running all the time, but several of the reviews stated that it does run all the time and is quite noisy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The link at the end was the useful part.  No where in the product description does it state either way on the fan running all the time, but several of the reviews stated that it does run all the time and is quite noisy.

I saw only one that said that. Bought this as a recommendation. Is it normal for them to run all the time. 

Even on the stamped steel it says “This power supply is built in fan on/off control circuit. Fan automatically works according to working temperature”

everything else seems fine it’s putting out 12.2 volts. Just the fan is always on.

Edited by ~DOC~

Features & details

Switching Power Supply Driver, Convert 100V-240V include 110V/220V,12V 40A 500W

Wide Range Voltage Input 100V - 240V,Over-voltage Protection:115%-135%. Choose 110V/220V before use

The description is babble!

One place says wide range,  100-240V  <the dash is normally used for auto switch of voltage. 120/240, the slash indicates a jumper or switch position change is needed

0C or 32F operating.  How many folk here run lights in snow country?

I see nothing about a variable speed fan (and user comments on the amount of the noise the fan makes). 

(I also see comment from users that have no experience in electronics, trying to guess their way along)

With all that being said should I be worried about the fan on. Obviously with me I am changing it out I would rather have one that turns on and off as needed. But is this correct or me being a newbie? 

Oh one other thing should or should it not be fused between the PSU and the control board. My thinking with automotive any time a circuit is added a fuse is added between the batt and the device. The PSU in this case is the batt so I added fuses to each side of the board.

Fan circuitry is usually on the board, not the fan. The Yellow wire is part of the speed

Dell mounted a thermistor in the fans flow, but the speed control was on the board.  Many other (computer) fans simply have a Tachometer to report slow or stopped.

First Question: How many wires to the fan?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Fan circuitry is usually on the board, not the fan. The Yellow wire is part of the speed

Dell mounted a thermistor in the fans flow, but the speed control was on the board.  Many other (computer) fans simply have a Tachometer to report slow or stopped.

First Question: How many wires to the fan?

It is not problem if it’s not a problem. I just hate using power when there is no need for it. I should reword my question. Do all you have fans on or is this really just a cheap PSU? I will check the wires, but like you say if the circuit is in the board it likely will only have two wires regardless. 

Regardless it will work for now. 

Just want to know how your PSU work.

The ones I have purchased over the years have varied.  Some start out with the fan turning on and off, while others have been running since I plugged them in 6 years ago.  Haven't had any major issues, other than on a couple the bearings have gone bad, so they are quite noise, but in an enclosed case in the big outside, you don't hear them unless you know what you're listening for.

Mine (HC weather resistant) have fans that are speed controlled (and rarely run, but they are exposed to the outside air, not inside a box)

I stick with Meanwell (MW). Fan runs as needed on all 350-750's.

You should be ok for the 2 months used as long as wired correctly. 

JR

• 4 weeks later...

I have multiple PS of that style that the fun runs constantly, only thing that happens is the fan bearings start to make noise after a year or two.  Replacement fans are cheap on Ebay