Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
ericg2000

Surface Pro

Recommended Posts

Anyone using a Surface Go or Pro for programming S5?  I came across a cheap pre-owned and might get it.  I don't need it for normal use just LOR and Netflix/YouTube.  I like the idea of the tablet feature and being able to easy have it outside when setting up shows and testing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ericg2000 said:

Anyone using a Surface Go or Pro for programming S5?  I came across a cheap pre-owned and might get it.  I don't need it for normal use just LOR and Netflix/YouTube.  I like the idea of the tablet feature and being able to easy have it outside when setting up shows and testing.  

I had the Surface Pro 3 (8 gig) and used S4 running 3 seasons ago. As long as I did not do a lot with pixels, it worked well. Once I started adding a CCR tree, circles,and everything else pixel related, it could not keep up and lagged. It may have worked better if it was wired, but it's WIFI only. Also the sound would stop outputting to my receiver and I had to reboot. I used it in the garage and would remote into it.

Edited by gsmith37064

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I had the Surface Pro 3 (8 gig) and used S4 running 3 seasons ago. As long as I did not do a lot with pixels, it worked well. Once I started adding a CCR tree, circles,and everything else pixel related, it could not keep up and lagged. It may have worked better if it was wired, but it's WIFI only. Also the sound would stop outputting to my receiver and I had to reboot. I used it in the garage and would remote into it.

all things wifi have issues when you are moving large amounts of data over it, nature of the beast.  As we all know when you start using pixels, it changes everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caniac said:

all things wifi have issues when you are moving large amounts of data over it, nature of the beast.  As we all know when you start using pixels, it changes everything.

My LOR PC is WIFI and works great with all my pixels. No lags what so ever. It was just the Surface Pro 3 that could not keep up.

Edited by gsmith37064

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

My LOR PC is WIFI and works great with all my pixels. No lags what so ever. It was just the Surface Pro 3 that could not keep up.

I use Raspberry Pi's to run most of my stuff, my sequences are getting to be 500mb-800mb range so moving that much data around can be an issue (not that it can't be done but I would rather upload a sequence 15secs than 15mins).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of mine are that large as well and take no time to do what I want with them over WIFI.

I can't remember the hardware of the WIFI adapter of the Surface Pro 3 but I want to say it was not AC. I could be mistaken as its been a while.

But my desktop PC is which is why I don't have issues. It's also running a 4GHz CPU with 32gigs of memory. It's insanely fast.

I am not sure what kind of WIFI adapter is in the Pi. is it AC?

 

UPDATE: I have the i5 Surface Pro 3 which does contain and AC WIFI adapter. SPEC wise it should be okay but it's not.

Edited by gsmith37064

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

A lot of mine are that large as well and take no time to do what I want with them over WIFI.

I can't remember the hardware of the WIFI adapter of the Surface Pro 3 but I want to say it was not AC. I could be mistaken as its been a while.

But my desktop PC is which is why I don't have issues. It's also running a 4GHz CPU with 32gigs of memory. It's insanely fast.

I am not sure what kind of WIFI adapter is in the Pi. is it AC?

 

UPDATE: I have the i5 Surface Pro 3 which does contain and AC WIFI adapter. SPEC wise it should be okay but it's not.

not sure, it's a 3B+ quad core.  I use a gigaswitch and cat6 on all my stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, caniac said:

not sure, it's a 3B+ quad core.  I use a gigaswitch and cat6 on all my stuff.

So the Pi is wired then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me ask this; is the surface at least capable of programming?  I am on the road a lot and need something portable for programming while out of town. I can run the show from my old laptop during show seasons

 

To the gentleman that uses the Pi- how did you set it up?  I have one and installed FPP. But when I made my animation sequence in S5 and exported the play file I cannot get it to convert to the.fseq file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ericg2000 said:

Let me ask this; is the surface at least capable of programming?  I am on the road a lot and need something portable for programming while out of town. I can run the show from my old laptop during show seasons

 

To the gentleman that uses the Pi- how did you set it up?  I have one and installed FPP. But when I made my animation sequence in S5 and exported the play file I cannot get it to convert to the.fseq file.

Yes it's okay for programming your sequences. If you are not pixels, give it a go and see how it preforms for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

So the Pi is wired then?

yup, years ago I put a "pass thru" on my house so that I could have things connected outside but access them from inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ericg2000 said:

Let me ask this; is the surface at least capable of programming?  I am on the road a lot and need something portable for programming while out of town. I can run the show from my old laptop during show seasons

 

To the gentleman that uses the Pi- how did you set it up?  I have one and installed FPP. But when I made my animation sequence in S5 and exported the play file I cannot get it to convert to the.fseq file.

My Pi is using FPP.  For now FPP doesn't support native S5 files.  xLights doesn't support S5 (yet).  you would need to do the animation sequence in S4 and import it.  Or create the animation sequence using xLights if S4 is not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, caniac said:

My Pi is using FPP.  For now FPP doesn't support native S5 files.  xLights doesn't support S5 (yet).  you would need to do the animation sequence in S4 and import it.  Or create the animation sequence using xLights if S4 is not an option.

Going to S4 wouldn't be a big deal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Yes it's okay for programming your sequences. If you are not pixels, give it a go and see how it preforms for you.

I do have pixels.  Not many as of last year but I will be buying more this year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...