Light-O-Rama Forums

Check out this NEW Custom Zip Tie Tool!

Orville

Cable Wholesale has come up with a new product that'll save you a lot of work and no more fumbling around for the right sized Zip Tie.  It makes custom length zip ties and even cuts them flush so no more sharp edges at the head!  Looks pretty cool!  I just got this info on it in my e-mail box

Check it out here:

QuikZip Cable Tie Gun Kit, inc 50ft Black Tie

And here's a video of how it works:

How to Make Easy Cable Ties using the above Zip Tie Gun

Current cost is: $55.92¢  And the ties are UV protected!

And here's the replacement spools:

QuikZip Tie Material, Black UV protected, Spool 50ft

Cost: $13.57¢

Prices are at the time of this posting.

Looks like an excellent tool we could all add to our arsenal of tools!  Sure would make zip tying things up a whole lot easier!

Edited by Orville
Add replacement spool link, didn't find them the first time I checked.

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

Cool. But very pricey. 

Yes, that's what I thought too.  

When I saw it in my e-mail and watched the video, I thought that's a handy tool and so visited their site to find out costs of it.  But the price point was, also, too me, a little high.  

Now if it were around $25-$30, that's not so bad{and the pricing I was kind of hoping it'd be at}.   But even though the current price is pricey, I'm still considering one of them. 

As it would save both my fingers, hands and time putting all those zip ties on my cords and cables every year when the display goes up.  Of course taking it down, still got to cut each one off manually. o I'll only get sore hands and fingers at take down. LOL  

Now if they just had an automatic too for cutting zip ties off. ;)

Hopefully the price will go down, but being new, I think that may be quite a while.  If it happens at all.

Edited by Orville

1 minute ago, Orville said:

Yes, that's what I thought too.  

When I saw it in my e-mail and watched the video, I thought that's a handy tool.  But the price point was too me a little high.   Now if it were around $25-$30, that's not so bad{and the pricing I was kind of hoping it'd be at}.   But even though the current price is pricey, I'm still considering one of them.  As it would save both my fingers, hands and time putting all those zip ties on my cords and cables every year when the display goes up.   Of course taking it down, still got to cut each one off manually. o I'll only get sore hands and fingers at take down. LOL  

Now if they just had an automatic too for cutting zip ties off. ;)

Hopefully the price will go down, but being new, I think that may be quite a while.  If it happens at all.

IMO- adds to much work.

That's what's great about having limited to no feeling in the hands and fingers, makes doing things like pulling zipties easier.

Scissors is the answer

JR

• Haha 1

Great tool but way too pricey.  I get bags of 100 4 inch zip ties at my local hardware store summer sidewalk sale for $1 each.  The UV resistance for me does not matter for the short time they are exposed to the winter sun.  I have some props that have plain ties that are now 12 years old and none have gone brittle or cracked.  Does not say ones exposed to summer UV rays would hold up similarly.  And on temporary attachments, I leave the tails on as it is easier to hold on to when cutting them off in 10 degree temperatures!

On surface, might seem like a great tool but maneuvering it into tight spaces would be a major limiation for me.  Much of my zip tying for display elements requires some finger tip control of ties.   Kind of an expensive options for simply zip tying bundles of wries.     Don't through all you zip ties into your toolbox and get a flush cutter pair of pliers to cut ties.  

2 minutes ago, mpageler said:

On surface, might seem like a great tool but maneuvering it into tight spaces would be a major limiation for me.  Much of my zip tying for display elements requires some finger tip control of ties.   Kind of an expensive options for simply zip tying bundles of wries.     Don't through all you zip ties into your toolbox and get a flush cutter pair of pliers to cut ties.  

I was thinking about that too, but most of mine are easily accessible for such a tool, only have a few that would require hand/finger pulls, so I'd still keep a supply of regular zip ties for that purpose.  Tight spaces could possibly be a problem, I'll give you that one. :)

But I do zip tie a lot of things and this tool would {I think at the moment until I get one and use it} would be a great time saver for me.

And I do use a pair of flush cutters to cut off the tails, but it's such a mess trying to pick them up out of the yard if they fall, I try to hold onto them so I can just collect them and toss them in a bucket I use for the cuttings, but sometimes they still make it to the ground. LOL

I'm going to make you feel bad.  Because of the way I set things up, the total number of zip ties that get used for setup and then cut for tear down each year is about 20.  For off season storage, there are another 15 or so.  That's it.

I have a zip tie gun that does a pretty good job of tightening and flush cutting zip ties, but sometimes, space does not allow using it, and about half the show zip ties get the tails left on anyway - as almost all the storage zip ties...

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I'm going to make you feel bad.  Because of the way I set things up, the total number of zip ties that get used for setup and then cut for tear down each year is about 20.  For off season storage, there are another 15 or so.  That's it.

I have a zip tie gun that does a pretty good job of tightening and flush cutting zip ties, but sometimes, space does not allow using it, and about half the show zip ties get the tails left on anyway - as almost all the storage zip ties...

Nope, doesn't make me feel bad at all.  I have a zip tie gun too, but it's never been that reliable and why I usually do them with my fingers.  So this tool would definitely be a help for me.  But I'm going to wait it out and hope the price comes down quite a bit before making a commitment to buying one.

Here's a link that shows the tool and all accessories/refills for it:

QuickZip Cable Tie Tool and Refills/Accessories

Also includes all current pricing.

Adding all that up = way too expensive at this time, at least for me.  I'll wait and hope the costs come down quite a bit on all this stuff before I invest in one of them.

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

.....and about half the show zip ties get the tails left on anyway - as almost all the storage zip ties...

Jim! 

Where’s the pride?

May be a good idea for some but not for me.

Something else to carry around.

Something else to misplace/lose. :)

Different tension for different application throughout my display

Cheaper with not buying it.

Slows down progress (gotta handle the tool and material).

and lastly, manually working zipties by hand has worked fast and flawless for decades.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I go thru a lot of ties.   Mounting my LED strobes took over 2000!   There was one for each bulb plus some extras on each of the 40 strands https://vimeo.com/280309439      I will be sticking with the old fashioned ties.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Anyone else missing the "edit" button? Here we go again, happened about this time last year as well.

EditButton.jpg              Mine present for 19 minutes after a posting. 

8 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Anyone else missing the "edit" button? Here we go again, happened about this time last year as well.

JR

With all due respect, here we do NOT go again.

Looking at the admin logs, doesn't look like anyone has made any changes. There is (and always has been) a limit on how long you can edit a post. After a certain time, you can not edit a post. Seeing as your last post (prior to the one I'm replying to) was 11 hours ago, this would be beyond the amount of time that editing a post would be allowed.

How long of a time are you allowed to edit a post? Well, long enough to correct typos, or other information you figure out shortly after posting. However, not long enough that one could change the content of their post in an attempt to make others look bad. (Yes, it's happened.)

1 hour ago, LORAdmin said:

With all due respect, here we do NOT go again.

Looking at the admin logs, doesn't look like anyone has made any changes. There is (and always has been) a limit on how long you can edit a post. After a certain time, you can not edit a post. Seeing as your last post (prior to the one I'm replying to) was 11 hours ago, this would be beyond the amount of time that editing a post would be allowed.

How long of a time are you allowed to edit a post? Well, long enough to correct typos, or other information you figure out shortly after posting. However, not long enough that one could change the content of their post in an attempt to make others look bad. (Yes, it's happened.)

Thanks, got it. Last year it was something during a site update or something.

But 11 hours, hmm , I’ve been posting quite a bit today. 

That would take a lot of thought to go through the trouble to make someone look bad mid thread. But that’s how some humans behave I guess.

Im just glad it wasn’t a site issue. I need the edit quite often even with the phone auto correct.

JR

15 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Thanks, got it. Last year it was something during a site update or something.

But 11 hours, hmm , I’ve been posting quite a bit today. 

That would take a lot of thought to go through the trouble to make someone look bad mid thread. But that’s how some humans behave I guess.

Im just glad it wasn’t a site issue. I need the edit quite often even with the phone auto correct.

JR

It's odd though, sometimes I can edit a post up to hours after posting, but normally it has always been not more than 1 hour. 

So if I posted something and after posting or answering other posts, then realize I may have made a mistake/error after 1 hour in my first post, I usually don't even both to edit it{unless the edit button is still there, then I will}.   However, most often the edit button is gone after 1 hour.  And I just have to post another response in the thread where I made the error or mistake.

Well to all that have commented on this new tool, I'm hoping the price goes down a bit.  And if I do get one, I'll tell you how well it did or did not work in setting up my display.  As I carry a BUCKET OF TOOLS outside with me, as well as screws and cable clamps to hold electrical and cat5 wiring down or along the house, it wouldn't be much of a bother for me to have this tool in my arsenal.  

As I really believe it WILL cut the time over half in setting up, take down is completely different, I can actually take more time in taking things down.

However, setting up, I want to do it as quickly as I possibly can.  So I think this toll would help, but until I get one and see, I'll never really know. 

Same for anyone, without ever trying it, we'll never know how good it really is in cutting time or making things more difficult until one tries it out.

So, if I do get one, will let you guys know if it's a flop, or worthy of being added to our arsenal of tools we use.

That's the only fair way to judge this tool.

But I do thank you all for your input on it. :)

Edited by Orville

On 2/13/2019 at 6:47 AM, Orville said:

Cable Wholesale has come up with a new product that'll save you a lot of work and no more fumbling around for the right sized Zip Tie.  It makes custom length zip ties and even cuts them flush so no more sharp edges at the head!  Looks pretty cool!  I just got this info on it in my e-mail box

Check it out here:

QuikZip Cable Tie Gun Kit, inc 50ft Black Tie

And here's a video of how it works:

How to Make Easy Cable Ties using the above Zip Tie Gun

Current cost is: $55.92¢  And the ties are UV protected!

And here's the replacement spools:

QuikZip Tie Material, Black UV protected, Spool 50ft

Cost: $13.57¢

Prices are at the time of this posting.

Looks like an excellent tool we could all add to our arsenal of tools!  Sure would make zip tying things up a whole lot easier!

Don't forget about the replacement Tie Ends as well for another $13.52. You buy the spool, you might also need to buy these.

For the kit, spare material (running out during setup is not an option) and shipping,  It came out to $94.06 for my location.

I'm sure it can be handy and possibly save some time in some uses, but I think I'll stick with old-school handling for a while.

Besides, I like gathering, raking and sweeping all the wasted cut ends and used tie wraps on the ground and roof after each season. LOL

And thank you for sharing what you found.

Edited by Santas Helper