Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX and ServoDog

rdebolt

I'm sure that this has been addressed many times, but I cannot find it. I recently acquired a ServoDog with and animated snowman. I can get the servos to work with the LOR usb-485 in the ServoDog hardware utility, but in the end I am trying to get the ServoDog to work with my Falcon V3 controllers using the DMX serial output.I have had no luck. For now I have put away the Falcon and am simply trying to get it to run with an old usb Lynx dmx dongle. I know that the DMX is being output because if I connect to an ac controller I can control channel 1-16. I have the ServoDog id set to 01. I am using Xlights to control. I have tried just a standard Cat5 cable and also an LOR cross over cable with no luck from either one. One note I can get Xlights to control the servos using the LOR setup and USB-485B adapter. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger

Roger,

I had to make a special “crossover” cable.

Out of DMX pins 1&2 cross over to pins 4 & 5 to the servo dog. 1 to 4 and 2 to 5.

Cable needs to go from DMX 1&2 to servo dog 4&5. 

It will not work if cable goes DMX 4&5 to servo dog 1&2.

John

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

Roger,

Out of DMX pins 1&2 cross over to pins 4 & 5 to the servo dog. 1 to 4 and 2 to 5.

John

Thanks John! I will give that a try today!

Roger

On 2/3/2019 at 7:33 AM, Orion said:

Roger,

John

Question John. So when you put 1 to 4 and 2 to 5 did you put 4 back to 1 and 5 back to 2 and use the rest as standard? Or did you just shift them all down 2 spaces to the left and leave the right of 5 alone?  I am assuming that this is a different configuration as the normal LOR to DMX cross over cable. Correct? I appreciate the help!

Thanks Roger. 

Roger,

Attached is a diagram of what it should look like.  I made a short cat5 cable, cut it, and attached the Orange White to Blue and Orange to Blue White.

DMXtoServoDog.thumb.jpg.0f15464282bcf18dcbdfb1f78001e3cc.jpg

With just some quick basic single servo testing this appears to be the fix! Thanks so much for the information John! I really do appreciate it!

Roger

Edited by rdebolt

Roger,

That's great! Just remember this is to run you ServoDog. You wont be able to read it and set the limits. To do that you need to go from computer to a  LOR USB serial adapter to the servo dog.

John

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Roger,

That's great! Just remember this is to run you ServoDog. You wont be able to read it and set the limits. To do that you need to go from computer to a  LOR USB serial adapter to the servo dog.

John

Thanks John,

I can set limits within Xlights I believe. Have not played with it yet, but I do understand what you are saying. 

Roger

44 minutes ago, rdebolt said:

I can set limits within Xlights I believe. Have not played with it yet, but I do understand what you are saying.

What he means is that in order to configure the ServoDog, you will need to use the LOR ServoDog Utility while hooked up to a LOR network, from your computer.

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

What he means is that in order to configure the ServoDog, you will need to use the LOR ServoDog Utility while hooked up to a LOR network, from your computer.

Thanks Jim. Understood and already done. 

Roger

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked