Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 ELOR anyone?

dibblejr

Is anyone out there using the Pixcon16 in LOR Enhanced network mode?

This answer may help a lot of individuals.

My simple question I have asked the HD but haven't yet received an answer (not knocking I know they are busy that's why I am asking here) and would like to get this thing either set up while I have time available.

Do I need to connect to configure the pixcon16 in LOR Enhanced Mode?

Maybe I am a dumb arse when it comes to the pixcon16 and the plethora of manuals, HD tickets and having my first pixcon16 in my hands. Maybe I am reading to much into this or cant comprehend 2 simple pages in a manual. 

In an effort to assist another member that was having issues with the pixcon16 he purchased from someone here I sent him a v1 pixie16 and he had lights in 10 minutes using my tutorial.

This pixcon16 has me stumped.

I am trying to use the K.I.S.S. method and not venture from the LOR Enhanced network.

All jumpers are set for this.

My first problem indicator status light continually blinking until a factory reset then both flash.

The blinking status light while power is solid green is not covered in the manual. (so no help with that)

The Search/ Config" tab in NP finds the Pixcon16 and when clicking on the device as instructed I get errors. After the error I get the "would you like troubleshooter to repair" click yes and then get a "time out error".

Submitted HD ticket and included videos.

HD replied very fast but I am confused by the very first comment and steps "do not continue until you have successfully configured the device". (maybe not perfectly quoted but you get the point" and "follow the manual link" Click link its E1.31 but I read anyway (even though I do not want to configure for E1.31).

Very first page after contents , page 5 states " If you do not wish to set up in DMX or you do not feel comfortable with setting it up with DMX use the LOR mode". That is the last sentence.

The next page says E1.31 DMX mode configuration. Wow. So where to now?

Back to HD with another video showing my screen in NP and the errors.

Please keep the answer simple.

Thanks in advance.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

jr, the Pixcon16 must be used in ELOR as it is required. As far as connecting the Pixcon16 to enable ELOR. no, you enable the network and not the controller in NP.

The flashing status light is just like any other LOR controller, not seeing the network.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

jr, the Pixcon16 must be used in ELOR as it is required. As far as connecting the Pixcon16 to enable ELOR. no, you enable the network and not the controller in NP.

The flashing status light is just like any other LOR controller, not seeing the network.

Yes, tried that finds it but get the errors. That's a plus, and I did think about messaging you but wanted others to see it.

PMing now a couple short video links

Thank you Mr. P

JR

6 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, tried that finds it but get the errors. That's a plus, and I did think about messaging you but wanted others to see it.

PMing now a couple short video links

Thank you Mr. P

JR

You mention you can see the controller in NP, what color is the line? Red, Blue, or White?

• Like 1

Just now, Mr. P said:

You mention you can see the controller in NP, what color is the line? Red, Blue, or White?

White, sent PM

JR

HUGE to Mr. P Had I had cell connection he may have gotten it up and running in less than 30 mins. Didn't take us very long through PM's.

Once again thank you, now the owner and I know it works. I can get my pixie16 back.

JR

• Like 1

For all those out there since we set this up through PM, it was just a matter of setting up the network correctly so you can access and configure the Pixcon16.

6 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Glad to help, next time don't wait so long.  😀

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

For all those out there since we set this up through PM, it was just a matter of setting up the network correctly so you can access and configure the Pixcon16.

And to answer my main question.

You do not need to have a router if connecting directly to your computer and using ELOR.

For DMX & E1.31, please refer to pages 5 and 6 in the manual.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

And to answer my main question.

You do not need to have a router if connecting directly to your computer and using ELOR.

For DMX & E1.31, please refer to pages 5 and 6 in the manual.

JR

Which manual did you use?

Everything can be found in the manual on the documents page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PixCon16Manual-V1.5-Showtime(S4).pdf

4 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Which manual did you use?

Everything can be found in the manual on the documents page:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/PixCon16Manual-V1.5-Showtime(S4).pdf

Exact same one, however the HD refered me to pages 5 and 6. Which got me confused especially when they specifically said in BOLD - do not proceed to step 6 if you do not configure the device. I couldn't configure it because of the NW issue and it states "buy a new router" and all of those steps first. LOL

Now to update the ticket.

JR

so it came down to having a connection on the 192.168.0.0 network?  It's funny because I have two of the pixcon's and setup my laptop a long time ago to have it's ethernet port hard set to 192.168.0.1 and my wife took the laptop on a business trip and kept telling me that she couldn't get connected to the local network.  It took me like hours to remember that I had hard coded the network address on the laptop.  Luckily it has wifi as well so she finally started using it.  I prefer wired connections as they are simply more reliable.

Pixcon's are a true network device and that is where I'd say easily 80 percent of the people get hung up on.

17 minutes ago, BluMan said:

so it came down to having a connection on the 192.168.0.0 network?  It's funny because I have two of the pixcon's and setup my laptop a long time ago to have it's ethernet port hard set to 192.168.0.1 and my wife took the laptop on a business trip and kept telling me that she couldn't get connected to the local network.  It took me like hours to remember that I had hard coded the network address on the laptop.  Luckily it has wifi as well so she finally started using it.  I prefer wired connections as they are simply more reliable.

Pixcon's are a true network device and that is where I'd say easily 80 percent of the people get hung up on.

That is correct. Most people today use wifi for their computer connection so when they have to use the ethernet port they are lost.

By default your ethernet adapter is set to DHCP so it is waiting to receive an ip address which the Pixcon will not provide. The user must go in and set the ethernet adapter to a static ip in the proper ip range which is 192.168.0.??? since the Pixcon defaults to 192.168.0.50

All Pixcon user's must remember that you must connect and configure the Pixcon on the ethernet port and then you can transfer it to LORs RS485 network.

This is why LOR claims the Pixcon16 is an advanced user device as you must know a little about networking.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BluMan said:

Pretty much, had to change a couple other address's but yes. It will not be used as a DMX/ device , strictly ELOR network.

That's why I have all pixies, I read when I first started with pixels that the pixcon was a bear to set up. When the pixie16 came out and was said to be easier I was offered to Beta test and never looked back. The 5-10 minute setup vice the many hours I spent yesterday, no brainer. Especially when I do not need to add more confusing to my already 12-14 networks.

Now to send this pixcon back to its owner, this was all because he couldn't configure it, we both thought it may be bad, I figured Id give it my best shot, I did and failed until Mr. P came along.

I lent my pixie to the owner so he could practice sequencing and the effects on the lights.

JR

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

This is why LOR claims the Pixcon16 is an advanced user device as you must know a little about networking.

Or know someone that does.😀

JR

• 5 months later...

Also in my case after setting static addressing on the switch, the switch subnet mask was 255.255.0.0 it also needed to be reset to 255.255.255.0,subtle but important.

Edited by Rockhammer53

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody knows, if it possible to run musical sequences without lags on the pixcon16 controller in ELOR mode with 150 pixels on every port (16*150 pixels)?

If you have more than 100 per port you may have to power inject them.

The few I’ve helped never mentioned any lag.

After Mr P helped set the first one up since I don’t use pixcon16, pixies are much easier to set up and that’s all I have used.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Yes, i' m planning to use power injections, and i'm making the power station for it. But i'm really worry about lags.

I read (or watched in video) the recomendation of using not more than 600 pixels per one LOR network, but i think, than ELOR should drive more. If i could be shure in it ...

And i need to use pixcon16, because the strings have more than 100 pixels per port, so it's only pixcon16 with 170 pixels/port.

44 minutes ago, Valentin said:

... 600 pixels per one LOR network

That is incorrect.  Do you remember where you saw that?

We recommend no more than 2000-2400 pixels per LOR network using ELOR at 500K with average sequences.  With a PixCon at 1000K you should be able to do more than that - somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000-4500 with average sequences.  Remember that there are additional considerations when using 500K/1000K and ELOR.