Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Re-positioning Mega Tree

aidancar

So I have had a 20 foot mega tree for the past two seasons just off center in front of my house. It is currently fairly difficult to see what the mega tree is doing because the lights on my house behind it.

I am going to be more than doubling the amount of lights on the tree next year and as the tree becomes more dense, I fear that it will become harder to see the lights behind it on the house. This coupled with the fact that it is already tough to see the trees patterns has me thinking of relocating it.

The problem is on the right side of my yard is a 50-60 foot tree with branches that reach out about 20 feet at the base. And on the left is a smaller 12-14 foot tree close to the street. Any ideas on where I would be able to position the tree to that It would not block the house? Do you think you would still be able to see the mega tree alright if I were to put it behind the 12-14 foot tree? Or do you think the branches would be too obstructing? 

Thanks! Open to all ideas!

Drive link to pictures and viewing locations:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tXHEzgqvh9nGmmV_zYUiXimsnaEgILu9

I completely agree that the tree needs to move.  The lights of the tree and house blend WAY too much.  Assuming the that the photo shows all the available real estate, most likely your best bet is to move it off to the right.  There is not enough space between the left end of the house and the edge of the photo.  Again, based on the photo, I would dump the string or strings on the tree at the far right and put the mega tree over there.  You have to dump or move the small things (animals?) between the house and large tree.

Cut the tree to the right next to street down and perhaps the one in the back just to the right of the house. Then you have plenty. 

That's what I would do / did

JR

My bad, I attached the link to only one of the photos. Here is the folder with aerial shots that I meant to attach.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13SlOnKqi3lcg-io1fnydo_LhhSU4ZzNF

As much as I would love to take out the huge tree, I’m not quite ready to go that far, yet... haha. Wrapping it’s branches always tripped the GFCI in rain and all the lights got very sticky from woodpeckers causing sap to leak. Gave up and just loaded it with old LED strings this year. 

Moving the mega tree to the right may actually work out nicely. I hadn’t considered that before due to the large tree. I will have to see if it will fit in between the large tree and the sidewalk. It may just make it. The mega tree has a 10ft diameter base.

if it were my choice I would move it here:

Aidancar

gives you the beauty of the mega tree but opens up the house for additional smaller props.

With the addition of the overhead view, I agree with caniac.  You do have the "advantage" that all your viewers have a fairly similar viewing angle which i9n this case helps.

If your friends with your neighbor to the left, I would check with them and put the Mega tree to the left of your driveway, it wouldn't take away from the house lights no matter the angle and it would more spread out your display and light up the dark space on the left.

This is what I do with my Mega tree, it makes my neighbor feel like she has a Mega tree too and it really looks more symmetrical from the street.

Keith

How well do yo get along with your neighbor?  That space between drives.... And it has  a clear view 👍

Thanks for the ideas. Moving it where Caniac suggested may be the best bet for me.

I do know those neighbors well and I’m sure they would be fine with putting the tree between the driveways but I hope to one year put a pixel canopy over the driveway which would then obstruct the tree once again. 

• Like 1