Light-O-Rama Forums

Bummer but you got to do what you got to do....

~DOC~

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, caniac said:

am looking forward to the videos of you power sliding/drifting that fine piece of equipment!! :) 

This is the closes I can show you. I was there that day.

9 minutes ago, caniac said:

so you will really be able to put that Yugo thru it paces?

I can drive but there are better...

On 1/11/2019 at 7:27 PM, ~DOC~ said:

So it looks like next years Christmas lights may not happen.... I may be assigned to a long term business trip (2 to 3 yrs) in California. Anyone had any experience with doing a light show in a rental home? Kinda of bummed. Was hoping to get neighbors to work with me next year here. I am keeping my home here, as they will pay for all house hold living expenses out there but I want to keep the lights going. I will know by the end of the month. I haven’t said nothing to the neighbors since it’s not for sure but if it happens it be nice to be able to do it there. Then when I return I have a heck of a light show from there on out here in Ohio.

So any issues doing this at a rental home?

You can still do a light display, as others have said use gutter or shingle clips, I own my home and still use them along my roof line.  The other option, be it expensive is to use those 3M light hooks that can be pressed on and then peeled off, but you could leave them on the house as long as you're living there.  They come off clean and work, but expensive since you don't get many of them in the pack for your money.

Also find some old telephone mounting posts, these can be either or metal, I got a few when they removed homes from my area {I live in a manufactured home community, ya know "glorified trailers made to look like a house", although not all do in here. LOL   Anyway, I mounted my controllers to a small piece of plywood and bolted that to the posts that can be driven into the ground. just have to fill in the small hole they make, very minimal damage to the yard.

Now as for outlets, I actually built a box of 5 dual outlets, 10 powered outlets in total} and ran my 5 CTB16PC Controllers off of that and a single outside outlet from the rental home we lived in for a short time.  Not the best solution, but I was predominantly 95% LED and 5% incandescent {mainly the Blow Molds}.  If the outside outlet at the rental does not have a GFCI or one connected to it via the bathroom outlet {most often bathroom outlet and outside outlet are on the same circuit}, then in the outlet box you build, make sure the 1st outlet in line is a GFCI, the rest can be standard outlets.   I capped mine off with child proof caps when they were not in use, but I also bought a 100' orange outdoor cord as the power cord to my outlet box.   Just run extension cords from the outlet box to those controllers that may not be near it.    Again, this is not an ideal solution, but one that worked for me for over 5 years.  Never had a GFCI trip in all those years of using it either.

Good Luck on keeping your light display going!

Edited by Orville

41 minutes ago, Orville said:

Good Luck on keeping your light display going

I am still currently waiting for a decision. Grrrr. Isn’t just like a company to want you to make quick decisions but then they take their time. I am keeping my home here. This will just be a long term business trip for 2 years. My wife will likely still come back and stay long periods  at the house. Her kids are here. Oh I plan to keep it going I am currently finishing up a controller box build and I have HC 4x8 matrix mesh (3 in centers) coming Wednesday. When I come back the neighbors will be impressed.

At 100 ft how pixelated will the 4x8 (3 in center) matrix mesh look? Here at my house it will be over 100 but new homes closer to the street what am I in for.

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

I am still currently waiting for a decision. Grrrr. Isn’t just like a company to want you to make quick decisions but then they take their time. I am keeping my home here. This will just be a long term business trip for 2 years. My wife will likely still come back and stay long periods  at the house. Her kids are here. Oh I plan to keep it going I am currently finishing up a controller box build and I have HC 4x8 matrix mesh (3 in centers) coming Wednesday. When I come back the neighbors will be impressed.

Sounds like the military, give me YOUR DECISION NOW and then it's hurry up and wait....and wait....and wait....and wait....AND WAIT!    So what was the rush on my decision if you weren't going to implement it immediately? 

You'd like to ask, but then that just makes 'em mad!🤣

At least according to my late father that's how it worked.

And I've worked for Military Contracted companies and they seem to follow that same mentality.   Company you work for one of those that the Military Contracts out too?   That'll explain it all. ;)

Edited by Orville

22 minutes ago, Orville said:

and wait....and wait....and wait....and wait....AND WAIT!

Yea it is just like the military but even with them I had a clue when it will start.