Light-O-Rama Forums

Bummer but you got to do what you got to do....

~DOC~

So it looks like next years Christmas lights may not happen.... I may be assigned to a long term business trip (2 to 3 yrs) in California. Anyone had any experience with doing a light show in a rental home? Kinda of bummed. Was hoping to get neighbors to work with me next year here. I am keeping my home here, as they will pay for all house hold living expenses out there but I want to keep the lights going. I will know by the end of the month. I haven’t said nothing to the neighbors since it’s not for sure but if it happens it be nice to be able to do it there. Then when I return I have a heck of a light show from there on out here in Ohio.

So any issues doing this at a rental home?

In the past this conversation has been discussed.

I’d just ask the landlord if worried but it will also depend on what type of place you rent.

Best of luck, imagine how good you’ll be in three years.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

This all came up this week did not realize my business trip this past summer was an experiment for a longer one. They cornered me and told me and with the money it’s a no brainer. I just want to be able to continue to do this. 

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

In the past this conversation has been discussed.

I’d just ask the landlord if worried but it will also depend on what type of place you rent.

Best of luck, imagine how good you’ll be in three years.

JR

And my house paid off......it’s a real good deal. More lights 

Yep, talk with the landlord and think about ways to install lights that won't damage the rent home. Metal clip binders for roof shingles and gutters and other ideas to keep from damage to the structure.

Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ~DOC~ said:

So it looks like next years Christmas lights may not happen.... I may be assigned to a long term business trip (2 to 3 yrs) in California. Anyone had any experience with doing a light show in a rental home? Kinda of bummed. Was hoping to get neighbors to work with me next year here. I am keeping my home here, as they will pay for all house hold living expenses out there but I want to keep the lights going. I will know by the end of the month. I haven’t said nothing to the neighbors since it’s not for sure but if it happens it be nice to be able to do it there. Then when I return I have a heck of a light show from there on out here in Ohio.

So any issues doing this at a rental home?

I did that for four years.  Only limitation I had was not being able to add extra outlets on the outside of the house.  Had to think thru what was there.  Was still able to do a few bad@$$ shows though.

5 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

So it looks like next years Christmas lights may not happen.... I may be assigned to a long term business trip (2 to 3 yrs) in California.

Where in California?

• Like 1

I’ll work out by California city and find a place to rent in Lancaster or Palmdale. I have been coming to California for 16 yrs doing this. But normally it’s a week to 4 months at a time. But it’s not 100% they could get someone else but I am on the list

Edited by ~DOC~

I rent my house, and the last one and I've done my show for 5 years now..  as long as you don't damage the house with your lights you should be fine.  if you do, you'll have to fix it when you move out.  

2 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Sorry guys I thought this was in the coffee shop. Just realized it wasn’t

I don’t see a problem, it could go either way.

Admin didn’t move it so must be gtg.

JR

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 6:22 AM, ~DOC~ said:

I’ll work out by California city and find a place to rent in Lancaster or Palmdale. I have been coming to California for 16 yrs doing this. But normally it’s a week to 4 months at a time. But it’s not 100% they could get someone else but I am on the list

That pretty well tells me what industry you work in...

Well, if you end up out here for a couple years, maybe we'll get to meet you....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

That pretty well tells me what industry you work in...

Well, if you end up out here for a couple years, maybe we'll get to meet you....

It’s not Solar!!!! Or wind! 

I work for the auto industry testing new cars not yet released to the public

Well that will be a definite to come see your lights.... Maybe you can also help me with that HAM license!!!!!

Edited by ~DOC~

4 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

The new Yugo!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, caniac said:

too late, I found these leaked photo's.

YugoSnowPlow

Ah I can see my work cut out on that one....... 🤣

9 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

I was not thinking solar or wind, but I did miss.  I was thinking aerospace.

9 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Well that will be a definite to come see your lights.... Maybe you can also help me with that HAM license!!!!!

There are a bunch for you to see down here!

And I would be happy to help you with the ham license...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ah I can see my work cut out on that one....... 🤣

I am looking forward to the videos of you power sliding/drifting that fine piece of equipment!! :)