Light-O-Rama Forums

New matrix for 2019

Denny H

Hello there,

For my Halloween and Christmas displays this year, 2019, I am looking to add a pixel matrix. However, due to constraints on my budget I am looking for recommendations on where to get the materials to build the matrix.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Denny H said:

Hello there,

For my Halloween and Christmas displays this year, 2019, I am looking to add a pixel matrix. However, due to constraints on my budget I am looking for recommendations on where to get the materials to build the matrix.

Thank you

IMHO - The Holiday Sequence matrix panel is the best for a traditional pixel node matrix. Last I knew they are about $75 24X50 pixels

The Light O Rama pixie16 (prebuilt) is the most affordable pixel controller LOR produces. The problem there, you will still need another pixel controller like the pixie8 - that is exactly my matrix setup but I built mine before LOR had preassembled pixie16's

You can use just simple 2X4's for the frame. My frame is AL, I do not know the cost because the company I was gonna pay to make it carried it out to my truck and when they seen my military plate donated it to me. I did add a base to the frame and put wheels on it. They just made the basic frame and my original plan was to mount it in concrete buckets or screw it to metal fence posts. 

If you need more info feel free to ask, if you have just basic skills you can build your own pixie controllers but I find the LOR preassembled to be almost as cheap as I can build it. I consider time as money though.

JR

10 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

IMHO - The Holiday Sequence matrix panel is the best for a traditional pixel node matrix. Last I knew they are about $75 24X50 pixels

The Light O Rama pixie16 (prebuilt) is the most affordable pixel controller LOR produces. The problem there, you will still need another pixel controller like the pixie8 - that is exactly my matrix setup but I built mine before LOR had preassembled pixie16's

You can use just simple 2X4's for the frame. My frame is AL, I do not know the cost because the company I was gonna pay to make it carried it out to my truck and when they seen my military plate donated it to me. I did add a base to the frame and put wheels on it. They just made the basic frame and my original plan was to mount it in concrete buckets or screw it to metal fence posts. 

If you need more info feel free to ask, if you have just basic skills you can build your own pixie controllers but I find the LOR preassembled to be almost as cheap as I can build it. I consider time as money though.

JR

Thank you JR.  So as I understand it,  I would need the 24X50 pixel node matrix,  I found one on the HolidayCoro site for $43.95,  then I need 12 100 count pixel strings which I found on CFOL for $28.06 for a total of $336.69, a pixie controller,  I didn't find a preassembled kit on LOR but there is an Alphapix 16 controller on the HolidayCoro site for $280.00 bringing the total cost to $43.95 + $336.69 + $280 = $660.64.  I'm wondering if P10 Panels might be cheaper.  Have you used P10 panels?

9 minutes ago, Denny H said:

Thank you JR.  So as I understand it,  I would need the 24X50 pixel node matrix,  I found one on the HolidayCoro site for $43.95,  then I need 12 100 count pixel strings which I found on CFOL for $28.06 for a total of $336.69, a pixie controller,  I didn't find a preassembled kit on LOR but there is an Alphapix 16 controller on the HolidayCoro site for $280.00 bringing the total cost to $43.95 + $336.69 + $280 = $660.64.  I'm wondering if P10 Panels might be cheaper.  Have you used P10 panels?

No P10's here.

The prices you state above are extremely high though. I cannot vouch for anything I don't use. Im not sure how the net would work for me as a matrix. I guess at 1/2 the price of my HS panel it may work. I just like mine to be flat. 

As far as controllers, the pixie series is all I use and keeps everything simple in the LOR networks. Once again I cant tell you anything about the HC controllers- strictly LOR here for everything.

Pixel cost seems high.

By the time all is said and done a P10 panel setup and waterproof may be higher. Depending on the size. A 24 X50 1.5" space matrix is 4' X 8'. Cheaper to buy a HD TV at the big box store and hang it up. LOL

Matrix net: holiday coro or boscoyo studios , about same price and material

Pixels/ pwr supplies : Ali- Express,  shipped direct from China in less then a week. Price search the site and find a good reviews vendor. 

Controllers : I prefer Falcon controllers and LOR for mini light elements. Alpha pix are ok as well but, I find the falcon more versatile as well as being able to sync to my raspberry pi and phone better to run the show.

Wire: I get from either Amazon or Ebay. Monoprice 18awg 4 conductor wire, per. Data. Ground. And a 2nd per injection wire 8n one sleeve.

Coro matrix's work well for small 2'x3' for anything larger just buy the material. By the time u drill holes, sketch pattern and buy material. You will have way more time  and almost the same cost as just buying pre made nets.( been here, trust me) plus the nets roll up alittle better than a solid 4x8 sheet of coroplast.

Depending on your storage I still recommend the HS matrix panel. It is not coroplast - it is plastic. It comes rolled just like a rug. The nice thing about a matrix, if you have the space and build it you can leave it up in a garage or outside and use it for easy sequence testing. Not just for matrix testing but any RGB lights that are in rows. You can see what your effects look like in real color. Also you can use it for any occasion very quick to add the controller and sequence. A matrix net IMO just wont be as flat as a 4X8 sheet of solid plastic.

This is why mine is on wheels. I can roll it anywhere I want/ need it and use for testing and just to watch whenever I need a light fix.

Mister makes some valid points however, I have found I can get everything just as cheap or cheaper right here without having to order from Ray or any other AliedX seller. Most of my shipping is free, communication not required and time to my door normally a few days. Yes, most is mfgd in China. Also when ordering even from Ray sometimes the product is not the same, then you send more time returning. Once again, look at warranty, time of returns if anything was to go wrong. IMO- that all adds up to extra cost. Time = $

The best advice I can give - once you find a vendor and you are happy with them, stick with that vendor. Everything will be the same, no guess work. I use LOR for the controllers and all parts I can get from them and others for the parts I cannot. 

JR

• The topic was locked