Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Trees

Euro92

Orville my friend

didnt want to quote that long reply.

Its great that “cutting strings down” works for you and anyone else, however as mentioned above, just because it works doesn’t make it right or “safe”.

The gas pedal on my car works, it will go all the way to the floor. However their are safety limits and laws.

When I was younger in my military days and in a budget I too used to cut strings, pre  LED days. Once I started studying to be an electrician I changed - knowledge is power.

We even wires light strings to our car audio system back in the days.

Though nothing has ever happened to you someone else has had bad things happen.

My aunt and uncle used to say the same thing as you about the old hat escalator and sparks in the barn with all of the hay dust in the air, until the fatal day the spark from the cord made the explosion that killed 550 head of Holstein milking cows.

Then “we should have changed the cord” came out. I was 9 or 10 at that time.

To answer your real question though.

”no I’m not kidding, safety is not a laughing matter”.

JR

Ok ok guys no fighting!

My lights are M5 LED ICICLE lights,  not the std mini lights. Mine need a resistor installed inline for me to cut the strand . The std. Mini lights I found are much easier to hack apart and make work.

However from a safety stand point if done CORRECTLY either way will work.

Me I rather leave them long hide the extra lights and not add to my soldering and splicing, I have enough of that with my pixel nodes.

Edited by Mister

On 1/11/2019 at 1:47 PM, dibblejr said:

Orville my friend

didnt want to quote that long reply.

Its great that “cutting strings down” works for you and anyone else, however as mentioned above, just because it works doesn’t make it right or “safe”.

The gas pedal on my car works, it will go all the way to the floor. However their are safety limits and laws.

When I was younger in my military days and in a budget I too used to cut strings, pre  LED days. Once I started studying to be an electrician I changed - knowledge is power.

We even wires light strings to our car audio system back in the days.

Though nothing has ever happened to you someone else has had bad things happen.

My aunt and uncle used to say the same thing as you about the old hat escalator and sparks in the barn with all of the hay dust in the air, until the fatal day the spark from the cord made the explosion that killed 550 head of Holstein milking cows.

Then “we should have changed the cord” came out. I was 9 or 10 at that time.

To answer your real question though.

”no I’m not kidding, safety is not a laughing matter”.

JR

No argument, just some of my background experience.

I never said it was, safety being a laughing matter, it sure IS NOT!

I have worked in Electronics, Electronic Tech, Electronic Engineering and Electronic Prototype Engineering Labs, as well as QC Inspections.   So I'm pretty darn sure I have a grasp as to what can be done safely.

And speaking of safety, just how many of us are using "indoor" extension cords outside in our display?   Quite a few I know, but if done correctly, it can be done safely, but should it be done?  In all reality, no!  However I used do it myself, last year 2018 display being the first time I didn't use any of them, I didn't need all those excessive extension cords, so they stayed in their tote.   Doubt I'll ever use them ever again for my display purposes, not since I started using smart RGB lights, that cut my extension cords by a ton this past year from what I was using previous years. And those I did use this year, all rated outdoor use.  The indoor cords may/mmay not get used inside at times, but I have more than I'll ever need now! LOL

Safety is *always* a concern, but then, there is always a correct way of doing things and an incorrect way, we just have to be smart enough to know which method should be used, and if we don't, then leave it alone.

As for changing cords, if a cord is frayed, split, cracked, broken, or damaged in any way, it gets replaced.  If a machine is making sparks or any type of erratic behavior that could spark or ignite something, it gets shut down, repaired or replaced.  When I worked in QC, can't tell you how many times I had to red tag and lock out a machine until it could be serviced and brought up to safe working standards so something like you described wouldn't happen.

So I am very aware of keeping, testing and doing things safely.   Despite what some may think around here, I always tested, checked and made sure things functioned correctly before I'd put it in my display after "modification".  And sometimes that was a month or more of testing something after a modification was made, if any had failed, they'd have been scrapped for spare LED bulbs and sockets if the cut hadn't worked out.

But that's how *I* do things.   Others may differ.

And this will be my final statement on this subject.   I'm not here to argue any of the points, just to state that safety is everyone's concern and if you don't know how to do something, then you should not do it.  Simple as that.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:34 AM, Euro92 said:

So back to the question..... anyone have the light o rama singing trees?

Not yet.  Hoping I can add Felix and Zuzu to my display for 2019.  Or at least one of them{probably Zuzu will be my first choice}.  Will have to see what funds permit this year.  I'd like to have all 4, but my two favorites are Felix and Zuzu and would be the first two I'd start with, again, funds permitting.   I figure they can't be any harder to sequence  than the current 10 strands of smart RGB pixels I'm using now.   And from the videos I've watched them in action on the LOR website,  they all look  great to me.

And to anyone that has used them, are the motion packs required to make them work or can you just sequence them without the motion packs?   Pros and Cons of the motion packs for anyone that's bought and used them with the LO R Singing Trees?

Edited by Orville

I'm hoping someone will have some input on these trees. I'm just worry the mouths look kinda off with the top portion moving instead of the bottom moving. Seems unnatural to have the top of the mouth move. I still probably might try it out since I want RGB trees with the ease of motion packs.

I would like to know if the Holiday Coro 46x46" versus the 23x23" singing Christmas Tree.  Was wondering if the larger version shows better from the street of does the smaller one look better.  I am using the LED m5 minis on all 4 of the singing trees.  The larger tree takes a considerable more led M5 lights.  Any help would be appreciated.  

I have the larger HC trees.  They are at least 60 feet from the closest people watching and look great.

Edited by k6ccc

30 minutes ago, Richard Sonnier said:

I would like to know if the Holiday Coro 46x46" versus the 23x23" singing Christmas Tree.  Was wondering if the larger version shows better from the street of does the smaller one look better.  I am using the LED m5 minis on all 4 of the singing trees.  The larger tree takes a considerable more led M5 lights.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Watch any of my videos I posted. Search for The Greatest Show and you can see.

Its roughly 120’ from the road to all of my singing faces (12 lined up) + 3 more 

The large and small trees are right next to each other.

They all Show well.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I have 4 of the 23x23 trees mounted to the face of my house.  My viewing is about 70' from the house on the other side of the culdesac.. viewing is just fine!  I actually considered upgrading to the bigger ones until I saw them in person.  they would have been huge but the mouth movements were not any better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked