Light-O-Rama Forums

How would you make a 16 string CCR tree portable?

Al Saunders

Hi Everyone,

I have one of LOR's 16 CCRII pixel strip tree kits and the Pixie 16. I haven't assembled anything yet. I will be adding it to our Christmas light show for '19 but I want to use it for another purpose. I want to be able to transport the kit and set it up rather quickly to display 2-3 songs. Some venues will be indoors and others will be outside. My question is, what ideas would you all have for being able to set up and breakdown pretty quickly (under and hour, preferably under 30 minutes). For the indoor setups I obviously wouldn't need to worry about wind so the bracing could be at a minimum. I have a full size pickup with an 8' bed so transporting poles is fine. And yes, I know they are a little over 16' long.

My thoughts so far have been for making some type of wood toper that has a peak to resemble the bottom/underside of a star since most sequences are designed with a star on top. Then have a weighted 2X4 or 4X4 and have the 16 strings attached by eyelets bolted to the board. I would want to be able to "carefully" roll and unroll the CCR's each time. I know the original CCR's weren't designed to be handled a lot and these cheaper versions probably aren't either. Just kicking around this idea and wanted to run by you all. :D

Thanks,

Al

I would not even consider this with ribbons.  Way too fragile.  Pixels maybe.  That would give the advantage that you could make it smaller that 16 feet tall (plus star).  That would make it far more portable - but it would then be smaller than you planned for Christmas at home...

Seconded. Strips do not take well to handling. Less is best when strips involved.

OTOH Strings do fairly well.

Now lets talk geometry of transport.  Do you have a Hangglider rack on your car (Hanggliders are 21' long when bagged ) or Pickup/van with a Ladder Rack?

Can you man handle the weight if you mount the controller  and support stuff to the pole permanently?

Tinkertoy Inverted umbrella. Struts fold down from the center base. Each strand has a 'knob with 2 sockets (one faces the pole, the other to the previous strand) and a strut the swings down and plugs into the net strands knob. Make the struts out of fibreglass poles (like used for many camp tents) to keep bulk and weight down

20 minutes ago, caniac said:

But that is a 'Day cab".(Class A CDL required) .If he drives to the show and set up , the 14Hr DOT clock is running. He needs to be 'Off Duty" for 10 hours before he can drive again.

He is better off wit a straight truck under 26000 lbs. Then a class C is all that is needed (But I still think the DOT will have something to say about long hours)

1 minute ago, caniac said:

but then tree size won't matter,

But, Size ALWAYS matters.........😀

Thanks guys, I'm thinking this probably won't work the way I want. I only have a pickup truck with no ladder rack. The indoor venue would require the "tree" to be carried into a building through double doors then about 40 yards to a stage area that also has double doors. My brother in law is an electrician and has one of those oversized Ford Transit vans. He can haul a 28' ladder inside of it so if I was able to mount the strips to something permanent, he could help by hauling at least the ribbons. As for me doing it myself I also have 16 strips of square pixels run on DMX and the Sandevis controller. So if the better image ribbons won't work maybe I could use the pixels that are mounted to black Boscoyo mounting strips.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Tinkertoy Inverted umbrella. Struts fold down from the center base. Each strand has a 'knob with 2 sockets (one faces the pole, the other to the previous strand) and a strut the swings down and plugs into the net strands knob. Make the struts out of fibreglass poles (like used for many camp tents) to keep bulk and weight down

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting the visual of this. :huh:

Thanks,

Al

19 minutes ago, Al Saunders said:

Thanks guys, I'm thinking this probably won't work the way I want. I only have a pickup truck with no ladder rack. The indoor venue would require the "tree" to be carried into a building through double doors then about 40 yards to a stage area that also has double doors. My brother in law is an electrician and has one of those oversized Ford Transit vans. He can haul a 28' ladder inside of it so if I was able to mount the strips to something permanent, he could help by hauling at least the ribbons. As for me doing it myself I also have 16 strips of square pixels run on DMX and the Sandevis controller. So if the better image ribbons won't work maybe I could use the pixels that are mounted to black Boscoyo mounting strips.

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting the visual of this. :huh:

Thanks,

Al

You can buy an extension that would go into your trailer hitch. It is made to haul long ladders. Combined with a rubber topper made by the same company the 16’ no problem. The topper goes on your cab to prevent scratching. The adapter height is adjustable.

However as mentioned several times ribbons probably would not make it to the destination in working order. Even mounted to something permanent I do not think all of the strips would make it during transportation even in that van.

i moved mine about 200’ last year and stored them individually se used to their emt. Lost 6 ribbons out of 16. Handled like they were glass.

This year storing in my garage over the door , I was thinking maybe the storage heat but every other pixel ribbon prop survived the same storage barn.

Pixels are not as delicate and would fare well if handled with care.

I put wheels no my ccr tree frame to move it around in my driveway. The same for my matrix , on wheels.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked