Light-O-Rama Forums

Santa's List via P 10 Panels

PCRail

If your holiday show is like mine, designed for neighbors to enjoy, not for fame and fortune, here’s a suggestion: Include a P10 panel (or four) in your 2019 show. I bought a kit because I was new to this subset of lighting technology -$150. My Christmas show included “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” by the Jackson 5. I noticed that the 2 x 2 P10 array displayed the Light-o-Rama S5 motion effect-text very well, even with a cool layered pattern. I posted information about our holiday show on the neighborhood website, Nextdoor***.com. I explained that we would be displaying Santa’s short list of nice kids in our neighborhood on the pixel screen and if they wished to nominate someone to the list, they could message me. By the time the 24th rolled around, there were 40+ nice kids on the list. Neighborhood families came to watch the show and, for a certain age-group (4-8?), the appearance of their name on that screen was pure holiday magic. Some kids recognized the names of classmates at the neighborhood school. I was told by the parent of a first grade student that a classmate had informed their son that his name was on the list. It’s official!

Another nice thing about these panels is that they don’t seem to mind small hands running across them. Since it seems that kids like to explore with their hands, I’ve learned to plan for that and I don’t freak out when I see kids reach out and touch those smart strips as they try to figure out what light is made from. It’s PIXELS, children! It’s PIXELS!

As I said, this idea is for neighborhood shows and will probably not work if you’re planning on competing on network TV. There may be too many nice kids even for the Jackson 5 ‘s Complete Holiday Collection.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To Richard Sonnier

Here's the link to DIY LED Express

http://www.diyledexpress.com/

The P 10 Panel kit is listed in the "Panels and Kits" section I think. I bought 4 panels for this project. This isn't the cheapest source for these products but I needed to understand all of the necessary components. The "Santa's List" project was pure fun!

Richard

• The topic was locked