Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Live audio to control the ights

kennywood3915

Has anyone ever tried or asked if it were possible to control 16 strings of smart pixels using live audio source? I was thinking of some how having carolers sing and there voices control the lights over there heads. I have a

16 channel license for super star and have played around with the instant sequencing and wasn't sure if this was possible.

Thanks 

No.  And you presumably have a 16 CCR license for SuperStar.  Not 16 channels - really 2,400 channels.

Don't know if it would work for pixels, but very doubtful.  At one time, quite a few years back, there was a program that would let you "somewhat" do that with an AC 16 Channel Controller.  I played around with it for about 6 months, but found it just didn't really work as wanted.   Since it was for the AC controllers I doubt it would work for the pixel controllers.   Especially since the pixels usually require higher speeds and enhanced networks, which weren't available when the original software was created.  

It worked more like a color organ than picking up sounds and converting it to light sequences.  

But like stated, it wasn't all that good, and I abandoned using it after toying with it for about 6 months just to see if it could fill a similar purpose years ago.  

Forgot what the program was called, but believe me, it's not worth finding or downloading.   You're better off just to sequence those kind of effects yourself, it'll come out a lot nicer and cleaner than trying to do much any other way.

Edited by Orville

On 1/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Orville said:

Don't know if it would work for pixels, but very doubtful. [...]
But like stated, it wasn't all that good, [...]
Forgot what the program was called, but believe me, it's not worth finding or downloading.   [...]

So ... why bring it up?  🙄

1 hour ago, Don said:

So ... why bring it up?  🙄

Because maybe they may want to try it.  That's why!🤨

I did a Santa Clause gig for Christmas and the DJ and I was talking about this subject. There is a DMX software called LightJams that he said he will be using next year for live music light control. I may be attempting this at the annual Taekwondo party I was asked to put some lights together for.

I have not tried this, yet so I cant confirm it works. I just made a note on my cell from the party and haven't had time to check it out.

I just looked at it. Watching the videos IMHO its not as "to the beat" as I thought it would be. There is one video with some floods and the person playing the keyboard that seems good but the others not what I expected. But for a small event where it would be next to impossible to sequence enough variety of songs it may work. One video shows WS2811's in the paper balloons but they don't impress me, just not what I was expecting. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks i'll check it out and thanks to everyone who has replied.  I'll post my progress if it works out.

Cheers