Light-O-Rama Forums

How to connect CCR or pixel tree to controller

rpickel

How would I go about adding an RGB feature into a hardware setup?  For example, the pixel tree that comes with a controller. Would this be added onto another channel from main controller(s) or daisy chained as an additional controller?

19 minutes ago, rpickel said:

How would I go about adding an RGB feature into a hardware setup?  For example, the pixel tree that comes with a controller. Would this be added onto another channel from main controller(s) or daisy chained as an additional controller?

Please let us know what controller you are using and fill in your profile so we know your license level.

Mr. P

I do not have any equipment yet. I am planning for Christmas 2019. I know I want to do a pixel tree. So, right now, I am trying to plan on what equipment to purchase.  I am looking at the PRO series LOR software as well as the PRO series controller w/ MP3 Director and 1 additional PRO controller. Would this be sufficient for the pixel tree and 20-25 LED features?

Just now, rpickel said:

Mr. P

I do not have any equipment yet. I am planning for Christmas 2019. I know I want to do a pixel tree. So, right now, I am trying to plan on what equipment to purchase.  I am looking at the PRO series LOR software as well as the PRO series controller w/ MP3 Director and 1 additional PRO controller. Would this be sufficient for the pixel tree and 20-25 LED features?

Pro license is highly recommended when you start getting into pixels due to the large channel counts. A pro license also gives you access to features which make sequencing pixels much easier as well.

If you want to stay strictly on an LOR RS485 network then look at the Pixie16 contoller. This controller can be daisey chained with other controllers for easier setup and there are many people in here who use them and have a ton of knowledge for setup.

I would also highly recommend that you go with the red usb485 adapter when you order your kit as that will handle the high speeds required for the tree.

Does the pixel tree come with a controller dedicated to it?  If so, how would I build that into the overall hardware?

2 minutes ago, rpickel said:

Does the pixel tree come with a controller dedicated to it?  If so, how would I build that into the overall hardware?

An LOR tree kit comes with everything you need to build the tree. controller, box, power supply and lights. The only thing you would need is to build a frame to mount the tree to.

That's what I was thinking. So, my question is, how does this fit into the rest of the hardware?  Does it act as an additional controller or does attach using a channel from another controller?  Sorry, for the ignorance. I'm pretty green to this so far. 

3 minutes ago, rpickel said:

That's what I was thinking. So, my question is, how does this fit into the rest of the hardware?  Does it act as an additional controller or does attach using a channel from another controller?  Sorry, for the ignorance. I'm pretty green to this so far. 

You can daisy chain it from another controller with cat5 cable.

You can view typical LOR setups here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/

Edited by Mr. P

Ok, so all other channels will be free on the other controllers, correct?  Other than the red usb hub and pro software, any thing else to add to the system to help run the tree?

4 minutes ago, rpickel said:

Ok, so all other channels will be free on the other controllers, correct?  Other than the red usb hub and pro software, any thing else to add to the system to help run the tree?

Correct, that is all you need to get started.

One thing that Mr. P may have missed in your second post is that you are thinking of an MP3 Director.  When using an MP3 Director you do not need an RS485 to drive the lights because the MP3 Director does that job.  You will still want an RS485 so you can connect to each controller through the hardware utility and do any setup that is required however the RED (highspeed) RS485 is not required for that.  LOR highly recommends when using a significant number of PIXELS (which seem to multiply over time) that you set up your network using the LOR enhansed network.  The PRO controller with G3 MP3 Director will handle that nicely and a second network can be added if needed.

While you might get away with the Black adapter if used just for configuration, I really reccomend just getting the Red one for a few dolars more. That gives you flexibility to run direct or using the director.

Just to be clear here, I always recommend the red usb485 adapter over the black no matter what the user purchases. The red only costs $2 more and works with everything LOR sells and it eliminates any future confusion. Even if the user is going to use a director it is always essential to have an adapter available, "just in case."

• The topic was locked