Light-O-Rama Forums

Network for neighbor

~DOC~

Hey I may be trying to bite off more than I can chew but I had my neighbor no more than a few minutes ago ask about joining me. I am so green it’s like spring time in the winter. So what would be the easiest method to do so. And any suggestions. Sites links to look at?

Next door or across the street.  If next door, you can use cable - either LOR network or Ethernet for E1.31.  If it's across the street it gets a little harder because generally you can't use cable.  For LOR networking, you can use ELLs, but the speed is rather limited.  For E1.31 there are lots of WiFi solutions.

Is there any suggested reading? They seem really into it. I tried to deter them with 300 dollar initial start up kit.  Ah that didn’t work. I don’t know much beyond lor so the E1.31 May be something I need to look into but at the moment information overload is already occurring. Just need simple and yes it’s below me a couple houses down not sure if across the street until I look. So any reading material or videos you can point me too will be helpful.

33 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Next door or across the street.  If next door, you can use cable - either LOR network or Ethernet for E1.31.  If it's across the street it gets a little harder because generally you can't use cable.  For LOR networking, you can use ELLs, but the speed is rather limited.  For E1.31 there are lots of WiFi solutions.

So I take it if I did do this I would have to sequence their house also. Sorry I am treading into unknown waters. Give me a life preserver. 

ELLs are likely your best answer.  If you are looking at only a starter kit for them, the ELL can easily handle it.

http://store.lightorama.com/ealili.html

Keep in mind that ELLs are limited to 115K speed and can not handle an Enhanced network.  That will get you a little under 1,000 channels.  If you need higher speed or enhanced networking for your own stuff, it's easy enough to go with a second network.

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

ELLs are likely your best answer.  If you are looking at only a starter kit for them, the ELL can easily handle it.

http://store.lightorama.com/ealili.html

Keep in mind that ELLs are limited to 115K speed and can not handle an Enhanced network.  That will get you a little under 1,000 channels.  If you need higher speed or enhanced networking for your own stuff, it's easy enough to go with a second network.

I would need a pretty robust PC for such and a back up. My neighbor two houses down also expressed they may want too. Opposite direction. For the ELL what’s the range? 

Edit they have a 1000 ft range that gets me one neighbor  but how about maybe 4000 ft. We are a small country community of maybe 40 houses. 

Edited by ~DOC~
Spelling

Actually no.  A Show computer does not take all that much.  Until 2017 I ran my show on an old Pentium based XP computer.  I was running about 5,000 channels on it and the CPU load was less than 20%.  I replaced it in 2017 because I wanted to get away from XP for several reasons.  I still have that computer, but it's not powered up...

I ran a few boxes at my next door neighbors house a few years ago. My new neighbor wants to join my show next year.

I am looking forward to it.

I just ran data cable over there. I have only had one successful year using ELL

I have four ELL I tried using and they just would not talk. I still have two new in the box.

2 hours ago, MikeERWNC said:

I ran a few boxes at my next door neighbors house a few years ago. My new neighbor wants to join my show next year.

I am looking forward to it.

I just ran data cable over there. I have only had one successful year using ELL

I have four ELL I tried using and they just would not talk. I still have two new in the box.

Network speed on mine has to be the 56 one or they will not work. Found that out firsthand while trying to work my neighbor's display last year. I had accidentally put it on the 100 setting instead of the 56 and they would not talk at all. I changed it back to 56 And added everything to the SD card again then they Networked perfectly fine on the ELL's. My easy light linkers are very limited on network speed. Won't work unless on 56k for some reason. Maybe I just need to upgrade the firmware or something I don't know much about these. I got them to work so I guess I'm lucky LOL

Edited by GriswoldStyle

22 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

So I take it if I did do this I would have to sequence their house also. Sorry I am treading into unknown waters. Give me a life preserver. 

it's not as hard as it sounds you just take some of the channels that you sequenced and copy and paste them into the sequence where you have their controller number at. Every song I have done for the last 2 years I have just copy and pasted things from my controllers into my sequence for my neighbor's 16 channel controller that I have on his house. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Network speed on mine has to be the 56 one or they will not work. Found that out firsthand while trying to work my neighbor's display last year. I had accidentally put it on the 100 setting instead of the 56 and they would not talk at all. I changed it back to 56 And added everything to the SD card again then they Networked perfectly fine on the ELL's. My easy light linkers are very limited on network speed. Won't work unless on 56k for some reason. Maybe I just need to upgrade the firmware or something I don't know much about these. I got them to work so I guess I'm lucky LOL

Remember that you must manually change the speed of an ELL.  Unlike most LOR controllers that will figure out what speed the data is operating at, the ELLs don't automatically detect the network speed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Remember that you must manually change the speed of an ELL.  Unlike most LOR controllers that will figure out what speed the data is operating at, the ELLs don't automatically detect the network speed.

Ahhh did not know that thank you for telling me. I will have to look into that for next year. I didn't really research them much when my neighbor said they wanted to join the show. I bought them and they worked out the box I guess I've always had my speed at 56 instead of this year when I tried to change it and his house did not work so I went back to 56 and it worked fine. Lesson learned

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Is there any delay that is noticed with the lights. Also can you like daisy chain them down the street to get further out? Again don’t know much about these devices. 

6 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Is there any delay that is noticed with the lights.

No - at least not to a human being.  Test equipment could likely measure it.

7 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Also can you like daisy chain them down the street to get further out? Again don’t know much about these devices. 

Yes.  Debtoes is doing exactly that for her large neighborhood display.  I'm sure some others are as well.  You do need to deal with frequencies and radio placement to make it work.  I can help you with that if you need it (Radio Guy).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

I can help you with that if you need it (Radio Guy).

Good deal. Need to find out for sure they are 100% on board. 

10 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Good deal. Need to find out for sure they are 100% on board. 

The best way to insure that, is have them purchase the hardware (for their end) up front 👍

OTOH f what they are doing is just giving you permission for YOUR display to encroach upon their property, Get that in writing, spelling out your liability (Lawyer review recommended), who pays for the power 🙄 (petty, I know). And if you have a HOA, get their sign-off before you shell out $$

• Like 2

• The topic was locked