Light-O-Rama Forums

Wind issues with plastic props

~DOC~

Ok so I see many people use HC or the equivalent props. These things are so light what do you all do about wind. The corrugated plastic is not that strong. I can see my Ohio winter winds just trashing them. 

53 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Ok so I see many people use HC or the equivalent props. These things are so light what do you all do about wind. The corrugated plastic is not that strong. I can see my Ohio winter winds just trashing them. 

mine have survived + 80 MPh winds. One of them was moved a bit but still standing. Also that same prop the frame was cracked from the brace I use.

Of course most of mine are flat faces and I use 2X4 or 2X6 for frames. My larger props have 2X6. 

We get some serious winds down here in AL with all the different fronts and when the collide. 

I use EMT conduit to make my own braces. Flatten the ends. Drill a small hole on one end and a large enough hole to fit a 16" spike through the other. I attach it to the wood frame where I want and bend it so the other end goes against the ground and drive the stake through,

I have never lost one due to weather.

Will add pic in a minute.

https://photo.walgreens.com/store/share?via=link&token=yQCCi5Mbds1dJrW6V4293w/AUS/1001943529070/WALGREENS

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

We get some serious winds down here in AL with all the different fronts and when the collide.

Yea I am on a hill where they want to put wind turbines. If you look at all the houses in our area they have different shade siding and roof shingles from them being blown off all the time. Most of the stuff I had up this year was made from welded steel. Prior to LOR I tried diffferent things blow up (nope torn) very light plastic props (nope I find them in neighbors yard). I don’t see these corrugated plastic props working here. Adding 2x4 material will make them bulking and hard to store.  I thought about purchasing one or getting the design and have it made out of thicker heavier plastic on a CNC by a wood working friend. I can attach aluminum to make it a hard mount to fence pole stakes

Edited by ~DOC~
Add info