Light-O-Rama Forums

Upgrade to S5?

Boater227

4 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, if I ever move to S5, it needs to be seen. I did learn something from this barrage though, I could see ramps in SE normal view in non RGB lights however my RGB always appeared as the color fade. Until now, I never thought about expanding the RGB and I tried it and see the ramp. I have been sequencing my RGB floods the difficult way when I wanted to get the fades to equal my non RGB stuff.

Now I know

JR

Glad I taught you something

2 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Glad I taught you something

Yeah, the last time you beat me up pretty bad over a singing face issue. Dec 2016 LOL

JR

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

I don't have any room left to post a pick on here else I would.

Go into your profile and clean out some of your attchments from older posts.

Edited by Mr. P

Happy to see I am not alone in requesting RGB editing.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:08 PM, PhilMassey said:

Then how about individual channel level editing of RGB channels.?

On 10/17/2018 at 5:17 PM, MattBrown said:

I know that is what you are looking for -- trying to figure out how to make it happen.

Matt

Hopefully Matt can make it happen. I will be sticking with S4 otherwise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Hopefully Matt can make it happen. I will be sticking with S4 otherwise.

+1,  I am also sticking with S4 until they add some of the older features into S5.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

+1,  I am also sticking with S4 until they add some of the older features into S5.

All out of likes so "likes"

Im on the fence. Such a huge swing on this one. Probably have to use S4 to keep on sharing faces and S5 to build my show. 

JR

I'm always of the thought process that an "Upgrade" shouldn't have less features than what your upgrading from.  I know sometimes you have to take a step back and rework it to make things better and that sometimes happens down the road but for a very clear "it will not come back" statement, that can only lead you to the conclusion that down the road, how many other features are just not coming back?

I was going to upgrade to S5, but I think this has greatly helped my decision to just stay where I am.

Thanks all.  Sounds like a safe path is to stay with S4, but I'll ask this question again in 6 months...

I ended up rolling back to S4 until S5 get's a little more polished.

The last thing I found missing is the total length of time for the sequence. In S4 it's in the bottom left of SE. The scroll feature seems slow in S5 and I hate scrolling to the end of a song with it.

Maybe by years end it will have the old S4 features back??

2 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

The scroll feature seems slow in S5 and I hate scrolling to the end of a song with it.

The [End] and [Home] keys get to the end and beginning of a sequence.

6 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

The last thing I found missing is the total length of time for the sequence. In S4 it's in the bottom left of SE.

I think that fits into the "who cares" category.  Or at least not very often.  And if you really want to know, press [End] key.

So far, the only things that I would like to see back is the previously discussed ability to break an RGB channel set into the three individual channels and see fades as ramps; and I still miss the ability to create a Visualization to import into SuperStar.

Just now, k6ccc said:

The [End] and [Home] keys get to the end and beginning of a sequence.

I think that fits into the "who cares" category.  Or at least not very often.  And if you really want to know, press [End] key.

So far, the only things that I would like to see back is the previously discussed ability to break an RGB channel set into the three individual channels and see fades as ramps; and I still miss the ability to create a Visualization to import into SuperStar.

I care :)

I have found several things missing in the 5 days I "tested" it. I will wait till it's more polished.

I liked it when I first installed but I am now wondering if I was forcing myself to like it...

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

So there isn't the ability to break down an RGB channel into three? and the fades aren't ramps like previously in S4 and prior?

1 minute ago, Santas Helper said:

So there isn't the ability to break down an RGB channel into three? and the fades aren't ramps like previously in S4 and prior?

No Sir

The fades are ramps for normal channels only but not RGB. You do not have the ability to show them or hide them like in S4.

Edited by gsmith37064

2 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

No.  Fades in S5 look exactly like fades in S4 WHEN you are looking at the RGB channel set as a single line.  There is no ability in S5 to split the RGB into individual channels and see the individual channels as ramps.

6 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I care :)

I have found several things missing in the 5 days I "tested" it. I will wait till it's more polished.

I liked it when I first installed but I am now wondering if I was forcing myself to like it...

Curious what you found.  Keep in mind that I have not sequenced anything in Sequence Editor in years - and therefore in S5 Sequencer, I did not sequence anything except to copy JR faces into my sequences.  I have used SuperStar exclusively for years.  For 2018, again, everything was in SuperStar except my P5 and P10 matrix panels which were done with Motion Effects (only because of channel count).

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Curious what you found.  Keep in mind that I have not sequenced anything in Sequence Editor in years - and therefore in S5 Sequencer, I did not sequence anything except to copy JR faces into my sequences.  I have used SuperStar exclusively for years.  For 2018, again, everything was in SuperStar except my P5 and P10 matrix panels which were done with Motion Effects (only because of channel count).

I found 4 issues in the past 5 days. 2 that I use heavily. The ability to break open the RGB channel and the fades as ramps which I reported in this thread. These must come back.

The time and the slowness of the scroll in SE. These 2 I could live without but I would like to have it the same as in S4.

These last 2 may not be really issues as more cosmetic but...

Keep in mind that I do everything inside of SE... All my pixel work. Spinner, circles, mini trees, columns... everything. I am all RGB. No normal channels.

Edited by gsmith37064

I'm asking largely because I don't use SE, so I could well just have not noticed failings.

I will certainly agree with the RGB channel splits and fades as ramps.  What is your issue with scroll speed?  I just opened a 4:17 sequence with a little over 66,000 channels on a not overly fast computer and can scroll from one end to the other as fast as I can drag the mouse from one side of the screen to the other (less than one second).  Or to step one screen width at a time, click and it moves one screen width as fast as my eye can see it.

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I'm asking largely because I don't use SE, so I could well just have not noticed failings.

I will certainly agree with the RGB channel splits and fades as ramps.  What is your issue with scroll speed?  I just opened a 4:17 sequence with a little over 66,000 channels on a not overly fast computer and can scroll from one end to the other as fast as I can drag the mouse from one side of the screen to the other (less than one second).  Or to step one screen width at a time, click and it moves one screen width as fast as my eye can see it.

In S4 if you move the mouse past the sequence, it scrolls faster. In S5 it's slow and steady no matter how far out I move the mouse. As I said I can live without this but I found it more responsive in S4 if I needed to scroll to a certain time faster.

Any ways I am back to S4. :)

Edited by gsmith37064

4 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

In S4 if you move the mouse past the sequence, it scrolls faster. In S5 it's slow and steady no matter how far out I move the mouse. As I said I can live without this but I found it more responsive in S4 if I need to scroll to a certain time faster.

Any ways I am back to S4. :)

OK, now I understand the issue.  You mean that if you are selecting a chunk of time that goes past the current screen.  Yes, that is very slow, but the work around in either S4 or S5 is to select the start of the block you want to select, then move the timeline however far you need and [Shift] click on the end of the time block.  Even when using S3 or S4, I did it that way for anything more than a couple seconds, so had not really noticed the slow scroll as an issue.