Light-O-Rama Forums

new to Light o rama

mandylink

I am waiting for delivery of my kit. i bought the show time director with FM radio and 2 x 16 channel controllers. not sure if i will need this sight but figured i would join and read anyway LOL. Already completed my first sequence to Santa Shark for my Grandson looking forward to next Christmas. My wife and i are excited about having the system i have been looking at doing this for three years and finally took the plunge.

Welcome! I started this past year myself. I only used purchased or shared sequences this year because I REALLY procrastinated. I still ended up utilizing 44 channels at Halloween and 48 at Christmas. I looked at LOR for a long time too. It's rather addictive once you get started. I will more than double my channel count next year. 

Welcome to the insanity Mandy.  Good for you in getting started in January instead of buying stuff in November and expecting to be all ready to go the day that the hardware arrives - yes we have people do that every year.  There is a learning curve as I'm sure you have already found out.  But this way, you have 10 months to resolve issues and learn.

i have already completed my first sequence. controllers and mini director arrive tomorrow I can see this being addictive. 

welcome mandy we are glad to have you and cant wait to see your show I'm on my second year 16 channels and I can tell you it is very addictive  you will find that this fourm is very helpful to you anything you need help with I have found out has either  been done or some one is working on it at the moment so just ask if you need anything a lot of good hearted people here sharing the same passion willing to lend a hand any way they can!!!!!

I ordered 2 x 16 channel controllers not sure if I need more than that, I am still researching RBG but still a little hard to grasp my wife wants to add an RBG tree once I learn how to deal with it LOL. 

Welcome to this awesome forum.

I've been a LOR user since 2005. This forum started in the summer of 2007 after splitting from another forum, Planet Christmas. Because of the growth of LOR and it's users, a separate forum (this one) was needed badly. So yes, this forum will be VERY helpful for just about anything in the animated lighting hobby. You're in great hands here with awesome folks.

I'll also add there are a few LOR Facebook groups as well which can be very helpful and alot of videos are shared on them. Very much worth checking them out.

One big thing about the LOR company. They have awesome customer service and has since 2005 that I know of.

You say you ordered 2 x 16 channel controllers and not sure if you need more than that. I'll gladly answer that for you now. YES, you will not only need more, but you'll WANT more. But you'll find that out on your own soon enough.

But before investing time and money in a lot of one certain type of hardware (like AC LEDs and such), read up on the pixel and RGB type lights/hardware. Sequencing can be a total 180 depending on which way to go and maybe both worlds will suite you fine. Just be aware of the types when deciding on a long term design/display. This is (or can be) an expensive addiction, I mean hobby.

Just a few words of thought.

Again, welcome aboard and if you have any issues or questions or even have the urge to brag or celebrate, you know where to come.

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper

1 hour ago, mandylink said:

i have already completed my first sequence. controllers and mini director arrive tomorrow I can see this being addictive. 

Wait until you get real lights up and the first time you play the show.  You will be HOOKED!

• Like 1

And turn your living room into your prop building studio... lights, wires, and props all over the place. All year round....

Did I mention... all year round?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

And turn your living room into your prop building studio... lights, wires, and props all over the place. All year round....

lol I have a large garage for that. But i did attach lights to small trees I built in my living room while watching TV LOL

Edited by mandylink

10 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

I would not know anything about that.  This was my family room most of 2018.  They will be back in the family room when I take the P10 panel down in a week.

Matrix_panels_hanging_from-desk.jpg

13 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Wait until you get real lights up and the first time you play the show.  You will be HOOKED!

Ditto.

6 minutes ago, mandylink said:

lol I have a large garage for that. But i did attach lights to small trees I built in my living room while watching TV LOL

Yep, I used my garage for a staging area as soon as I received my first controller. 16 strands of lights hung from each side of the garage door rails. Played my first sequence and well... lets just say there isn't a cure as of today. LOL