Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Lag During Playback in Sequence Editor

toddm1919

I am hoping someone else has had a similar issue and has found a solution.

I purchased/built a new pc.  It is an i7 8700k with 32gb ram. It has a nVidia GTX1060 graphics card with 6gb of ram, running windows 10 with all updates installed.  When I run a sequence in sequence editor, the video lags and hitches.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling LOR 4.3.18 and have updated my video drivers from nVidia, with no change. I can run the same sequence on another machine with lesser specifications with no hitching.

Here is a link to a video to show the hitching that occurs in the sequence editor without visualizer running.  The hitching also occurs in visualizer.

I submitted a ticket to LOR, they suggested that CODECs were to blame and I might need to re-install a Windows.  Being a new computer, with little installed, I reinstalled windows an I still get the same result.

Any suggestions?

IMO it looks like something is trying to run in the background. You may just want to let your laptop run its course for a little while. New computers seem to be the worst when it comes to updating esp the antivirus garbage that comes on them.

That's what my new laptop looks like while my updates start running when I am sequencing past my bed time.

Set your auto update time to when you are not normally awake.

JR

I'm doubtful that reinstalling Windows will do anything to fix it.   That sounds like the standard canned answer that every tech support department gives.  If anything, it is usually a driver or codec issue as mentioned, but that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

I'm doubtful that reinstalling Windows will do anything to fix it.   That sounds like the standard canned answer that every tech support department gives.  If anything, it is usually a driver or codec issue as mentioned, but that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows.

You’re right. Reinstalling Windows did nothing.

I would understand it being a codec if there was hitching in a video file, but this is in the sequencer window.  Could it really still be a codec?

@toddm1919

Just to see if your video card is having issues.

I know you said its new, but that does not mean anything today.

Yank out your video card and use the one built into the motherboard. S4 runs fine with the built-in intel video.

Also make sure it's running the NVIDIA driver and not the generic Microsoft one that comes in Win10.

Edited by gsmith37064

On 1/5/2019 at 9:14 AM, dibblejr said:

IMO it looks like something is trying to run in the background. You may just want to let your laptop run its course for a little while. New computers seem to be the worst when it comes to updating esp the antivirus garbage that comes on them.

That's what my new laptop looks like while my updates start running when I am sequencing past my bed time.

Set your auto update time to when you are not normally awake.

JR

Thanks JR.  That’s what I thought too.  So I made sure it was done with all updates before running LOR and recording the video. Any other suggestions?  There is nothing installed except for Windows and LOR.

As JR said something in the background may be hogging CPU cycles. Check the CPU loads in task manager.

On a long shot, what format is your audio file encoded in. Try using.WAV.

2 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

As JR said something in the background may be hogging CPU cycles. Check the CPU loads in task manager.

On a long shot, what format is your audio file encoded in. Try using.WAV.

CPU is at 5%. GPU is at 22%

Do you have VLC (Video media player) installed? VLC has a bunch of Codec's that come with it. I ran into this on a new pc. The Codec's provided by MS Windows didn't do the job, VLC added all the Codec's I needed, at least for Video and Audio Editing.

It's Free and a pretty good Media Player to boot.

Read about it here.  VLC Media Player

Alan...

• 1 month later...

New PC’s have a lot of junk installed. You could carefully started uninstalling these programs. These will bog your PC down. I had 3 types of anti virus on my new PC I bought in November and a bunch of other junk games etc. I been uninstalling these and my PC is getting faster. They put this crap on there to get you to buy in. Be careful though.....

11 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

New PC’s have a lot of junk installed. You could carefully started uninstalling these programs. These will bog your PC down. I had 3 types of anti virus on my new PC I bought in November and a bunch of other junk games etc. I been uninstalling these and my PC is getting faster. They put this crap on there to get you to buy in. Be careful though.....

Good points Doc.  I certainly agree with most of this, yet to add, it really depends on what brand of computer as to how much upselling software is on it.  I usually start out with putting my own backup software on the computer and doing a complete "drive image" backup of the computer before doing anything else so I have a complete "image" of how it came.  I take a snapshot of how well it performs and then start removing things I don't want.  In my experience with a recently new laptop and a new show computer, I have not noticed any performance degradation with what came on them, nor any improvement by removing all the upselling software.  Processors are pretty fast to begin with.  I just got more space by removing the crap.  

Also, many programmers are not that good at removing all traces of their programs during an uninstall.  Installers like InstallShield let programmers make a lot of mistakes, by leaving crap in the system registry and in the hidden "ProgramData" folder.   I'm referring to Windows here and I know that Mac people are going to say it doesn't do that and is so much better than Windows, but it isn't any better in this regard.  I've had years of experience programming on both.

2 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Also, many programmers are not that good at removing all traces of their programs during an uninstall.  Installers like InstallShield let programmers make a lot of mistakes, by leaving crap in the system registry and in the hidden "ProgramData" folder.   I'm referring to Windows here and I know that Mac people are going to say it doesn't do that and is so much better than Windows, but it isn't any better in this regard.  I've had years of experience programming on both.

Yea I am no programmer myself so it’s always been IF in doubt leave it be until you know otherwise. Another thing is making sure the ones you don’t want are not running in the back ground. Removing and turning off unwanted items saves me a load of headache. Lucky for me I been taught enough at my work what to shut off while I am using my PC to collect data.

Sorry..forgot to update the thread with what appears to fix the problem.  All I did was expand track 1(which has all of my channels, but I don’t use to sequence) and played the sequence.  Once I do that, I can close the track and it works fine.  I have no idea why this fixes the problem, but it does.

• Thanks 1