Light-O-Rama Forums

DIO32

Stephan Sherrick

Next year I would like to control turning on and off my static display with the DIO32 board along with the 8 channel relay daughter board (DIO8RLY).  I am currently running about 10 circuits and would like to know if I can attach more than one 8 channel relay daughter board to the DIO32 and maintain the 15 amps per channel?  Thanks

Interesting you chose to do this. I also did the same thing but used DMX instead of LOR. I think both is a good option. I did find the I had an issue running the DMX as a background sequence, not sure why, but I moved the animations into the main sequences and everything fixed itself - I do need to go back and investigate and that is Q1 2019's task :)

I used this : https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Channel-DMX-Controller-Relay-Switch-Dimmer-Kit-16-Way-Relay-Switch-DJ-Eq-L6W6-/132698852031?hash=item1ee577cabf

Not sure if there are pros/cons either way. I would think the LOR version is more robust/flexible but the DMX version is cheap enough that you can pop them anywhere.

I have been controlling my inflatables with my AC controllers since buying out a garage sale and using the stuff back in 2006. At the time that’s all I knew how to do with everything. LOL

I purchased my DIO32 and relay boards in 2010.   At the time,  I was worried about sending less than 100% power to props with power packs, strobes, lasers.   Now a regular AC controller can be set to supply only  0% or 100%    I dont feel like I need the DIO anymore for AC.  I am still using two relays to switch DC for the drip tubes.    

The reason I am looking at the DIO32 is that I need at least 10 amps per circuit/channel.   The regular AC controller can control a maximum of 15 amps per bank or 30 amps per controller.   I would need four AC controllers to do the same on/off function of the DIO32 with relay daughter board.  Or am I looking at this wrong?

2 hours ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

The reason I am looking at the DIO32 is that I need at least 10 amps per circuit/channel.   The regular AC controller can control a maximum of 15 amps per bank or 30 amps per controller.   I would need four AC controllers to do the same on/off function of the DIO32 with relay daughter board.  Or am I looking at this wrong?

Have you looked at the CTB32LDg3  Deluxe? 20A /bank,   This board is used in the LOR 160x series

If your load  per port, is 10A, this leaves out the TRIAC controllers

Do you really anticipate simultaneous 10A loads? (80A per bank)

As to your relay board solution: Each relay is independent (isolated on the AC side). So you can have 8 powe IN cords  (from separate circuit breakers), and pull 120A at the same time 😮 per board

My display uses a 100 amp panel that is pretty much used up.  I  had 10 circuits in use this year and used between 8 and 12 amps per circuit according to my Kill a Watt meter.  Still a lot of incandescent bulbs that I have been changing over to LED over the past few years.  My total bulb count in my entire display is somewhere near 60,000 or so.  

33 minutes ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

My display uses a 100 amp panel that is pretty much used up.  I  had 10 circuits in use this year and used between 8 and 12 amps per circuit according to my Kill a Watt meter.  Still a lot of incandescent bulbs that I have been changing over to LED over the past few years.  My total bulb count in my entire display is somewhere near 60,000 or so.  

Am I confused? You seem to be talking PER controller. I am talking per Port (controller channel). Controllers have limits (per bank) and per port. At any single time you may not exceed a BANKS limit.

A residential AC controller has a 8A per channel limit. that simply means I can only TURN ON 2 of those AT ANY ONE TIME, if  the channel at the full limit. If I only have 2A loads on each channel, I can turn on 7 at the same time (in the same bank)

do the math for each combinations of channels to stay under 15A per BANK (power cord going in) Cheat: Use that Killawatt and slowly step thru your show, watch the AMPS. repeat for any bank that   is not ALL LED. Pushing that 15A for more than a few seconds will lead to fuse failure.

<tip> balance your big loads between the banks, specially if they are on at the same time. The CTB32 gives you 5 more Amps per bank to play with, but it might be more cost effective to buy more LED's for some of those channels

I think OP mentioned this is a static display. So  yes, you just may be self confessed confused.  He wants to switch his statics on at show start and off at the end.   No music syncing.  Seems to me he needs each channel to support 8-12 at the same time so all the static lights can be on for the duration of the evening.     If using a DIO + RLY,  it would be located near the panel, have 10 cords going in and 10 out,  then continue as they have in the past to the non-blinking lights. 

Bob, you are exactly right. This is my static display.   My LOR synched display is all LED for the AC controllers and Pixels for the DC controllers.   I am looking for a clean way to power on the static which is why I was looking at the DIO32 with relay daughter boards.My 

9 minutes ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

Bob, you are exactly right. This is my static display.   My LOR synched display is all LED for the AC controllers and Pixels for the DC controllers.   I am looking for a clean way to power on the static which is why I was looking at the DIO32 with relay daughter boards.My 

DIO RY boards will handle that and give you separate ON/OFF for each cord

4 hours ago, Stephan Sherrick said:

Thanks for confirming Stephan.     I think the DIO option will give you the required control.     My relays were used for many momentary switches and after 5-6 years I noticed they occasionally would stick.   At a flip a day they should last you.

• The topic was locked