Light-O-Rama Forums

Landscape Lights

ericg2000

not sure where this should go... i've searched around and seen some posts, but no one tells how they set up their controller to run year-round landscape lights.  i want to set up rgb pixels as landscape lighting.  i don't want to run a music program, just have them turn on and off from dusk to dawn, and maybe change colors every few weeks depending on the month.  i can wire the lights, and set it all up, but how do i program it?  any input would be appreciated thanks. 

43 minutes ago, ericg2000 said:

not sure where this should go... i've searched around and seen some posts, but no one tells how they set up their controller to run year-round landscape lights.  i want to set up rgb pixels as landscape lighting.  i don't want to run a music program, just have them turn on and off from dusk to dawn, and maybe change colors every few weeks depending on the month.  i can wire the lights, and set it all up, but how do i program it?  any input would be appreciated thanks. 

You just schedule Animated shows. One for each color.

Since you said RGB? I am assuming dumb (CMB-24) .  While There is n Input#1, that could be used to trigger (you will need a photo cell circuit that closes a contact on dark), it will run the loaded sequence (which we have determined to be simple) (see pg 5 of the CMB24 manual)

Or you can use the Show Scheduler (assumes PC is 24/7) and have'the' show run by day and time

2 hours ago, ericg2000 said:

Landscaping lighting is how I got started with LOR.  Been running year round landscape lighting since 2011.  Take a look at my website on the page that talks about the year round landscape lighting:  http://newburghlights.org/Landscaping.html, and the technical page:  http://newburghlights.org/Technical.html

I have two shows that run every night.  From the time it gets dark until 2200 during the week or 2300 on the weekend, there is the "evening" show.  That has two animation sequences somewhat slowly cycle the colors and patterns of my lights.  The overnight show starts when the evening show completes.  That is normally completely static with just the front porch light, a security light over by the parked cars, the lights that light up the flagpole, and lights on top of the brick columns that are on either side of where the walkway to the porch will be when I get it built.  During both the evening and overnight shows, the strips under the front porch steps are lit very dim.  There are interactive sequences that trigger when people either approach the steps from the yard, or open the front door that ramp up the lights under the steps.  After 45 seconds, the steps lights ramp back to the "normal" dim.  With the exception of the porch light, flag lights, and the security light, everything is RGB.  Some is dumb RGB using CMB16D controllers, and some is smart pixels controlled by SanDevices E6804 E1.31 controllers.

For the minor holidays, I light up the yard with colors specific to that event.

Valentines day Red, White, and Pink
St. Patrick's day Green
World Autism Awareness Day Light Blue
Police Memorial week Dark Blue
Independence Day week Red, White, and Blue
Fallen Firefighters Memorial week   Red
Halloween Orange and Purple

I run the landscape shows from my server computer. 

Thanks for the input.  I only have a few pixie controllers and several 16ch residential controllers.  I have a laptop I can use but I will have to find a better way to route the network cable.  

For dump RGB, that's the nice thing about  the cmb24d, doesn't have to stay connected to the computer.   

You load the sequence directly onto the cmpb24d, disconnect from computer.  When cmb24d is powered, the sequence starts.    You would pewoercmb24d from a  landscape transformer that has timer/photocell.  Or connecting 12v poser suppy to a plug in timer.  

I'm freeing up a cmb24d this year and might give it a try as landscape lighting. 

2 hours ago, mpageler said:

You load the sequence directly onto the cmpb24d, disconnect from computer.  When cmb24d is powered, the sequence starts

Yes you CAN download a sequence into a CMB24, but you are VERY limited.

2 hours ago, mpageler said:

You would pewoercmb24d from a  landscape transformer that has timer/photocell. 

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!  MOST landscape lighting power supplies are just a transformer (and maybe a clock or photocell to turn it on or off).  They generally output somewhere around 12 volts of AC - NOT DC.  Connecting that to a CMB24D will result in smoke leakage.

• The topic was locked