Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving S4 to S5

ed26105

I have been doing programming with S4 on one computer.  In order to keep both versions active, I downloaded S5 to another computer.   I copied entire folder over to the S5 computer, but when I open a sequence, the only options I get for preview are 2017 and 2016 versions.  I have a 2018 preview in Pixel Editor.  Where does this preview hide and why doesn't it show on S5 computer when entire LOR directory was copied?

S5 uses it's own Preview, it's different from S4's version. First things to do is create and keep a backup of all your S4 Sequences. Once you convert them to S5, you will not be able to open them in S4 any more. Keep them safe spmewhere and test with a with copied versions.

Here is the Tutorial Links for LOR, S5 tuts are about half way down the page. http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

Here a couple of links to the Help files that explain what a Preview is and to create one.

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.2.2/help/index.html?concept_preview.htm

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.2.2/help/index.html?preview_design.htm

There is a lot of info here on the forums as well.

Alan...

Alan-

What if I just want to create a dummy prop or just copy and move one of My props just to try and get familiarized with S5.

Is it feasible or just not worth the time.

I would like to look at this beast called S5 but not going to move any time soon. Won’t move if I can’t sequence faces in it.

JR

JR I have S5 on a laptop for testing purposes  I can't figure.how to add sequenced faces I asked Matt Brown how to on theS5 forum never got a response  I also can't figure out how to add the 6 channel ccr star on a store bought sequence  . Maybe someone's using S5 can explain 

36 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

JR I have S5 on a laptop for testing purposes  I can't figure.how to add sequenced faces I asked Matt Brown how to on theS5 forum never got a response  I also can't figure out how to add the 6 channel ccr star on a store bought sequence  . Maybe someone's using S5 can explain 

K6CCC can probably help with adding the faces. He is using my faces in S5.

In the beginning I was told there were no grid blocks- no grid blocks would mean no singing faces unless papagayo and export into free form which means , no way for me.

Hopefully someday I will get the answer as well.

Hope Jim will come along.

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

What if I just want to create a dummy prop or just copy and move one of My props just to try and get familiarized with S5.

Is it feasible or just not worth the time.

Sure it worth the time. Here's a short Basic tutorial on how to create props from scratch. Very basic stuff, but it will get you familiar with the way S5 previews work.

The video shows Pixie16's being used as controllers for the props. Are you familiar with those? I hear there is a really good thread with a lentghy write up and video about adding them to Hardware Editor. lol 😜(sorry couldn't resist)

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Won’t move if I can’t sequence faces in it.

Sequencing faces is no different than in S4. The key is in the prop design. ie making it match what you already have. If you want send me a viz file (from S4) and I can look at it and see what can be done. I'll think you already have my email, if not ask.

40 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I can't figure.how to add sequenced faces I asked Matt Brown how to on theS5 forum never got a response

Dennis, it's not an excuse but I remember reading that Matt was dealing with some issues and very busy.

40 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

I also can't figure out how to add the 6 channel ccr star on a store bought sequence  . Maybe someone's using S5 can explain 

Same offer as above, I'll PM you my email address if you want to send me a S4 viz file of those props. It's is much easier for me to see what I am working with, when trying to explain how to proceed.

Anyways, here is the video. Hope it helps.

Alan...

Edited by default

8 minutes ago, default said:

Sure it worth the time. Here's a short Basic tutorial on how to create props from scratch. Very basic stuff, but it will get you familiar with the way S5 previews work.

The video shows Pixie16's being used as controllers for the props. Are you familiar with those? I hear there is a really good thread with a lentghy write up and video about adding them to Hardware Editor. lol 😜(sorry couldn't resist)

Sequencing faces is no different than in S4. The key is in the prop design. ie making it match what you already have. If you want send me a viz file (from S4) and I can look at it and see what can be done. I'll think you already have my email, if not ask.

Dennis, it's not an excuse but I remember reading that Matt was dealing with some issues and very busy.

Same offer as above, I'll PM you my email address if you want to send me a S4 viz file of those props. It's is much easier for me to see what I am working with, when trying to explain how to proceed.

Anyways, here is the video. Hope it helps.

Alan...

Thanks Alan, will try this pretty soon.

As far as the faces, I barely use any vis any more, only for some real tough parts but I would hope I could get the same quality preview that I get with the animator within S4

Jim K6CCC sent me the and Dennis this files for the face vis for S5. I think they were based on my lee files I sent him and he converted or imported in to S5.

Busted me on the writeup/ vid.

Takes longer to read the steps then it does to watch the video, that's for sure. LOL

JR 

Oops, I misspoke on the viz file, I meant the .lee files.

Here's a short video of how my Singing faces work in S5 and what the sequencing looks like. I copy / pasted all the effects from an old S4 sequence. Have to make sure the channels match.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

Edited by default

3 minutes ago, default said:

Oops, I misspoke on the viz file, I meant the .lee files.

Here's a short video of how my Singing faces work in S5 and what the sequencing looks like. I copy / pasted all the effects from an old S4 sequence. Have to make sure the channels match.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

https://vimeo.com/manage/309034238/general

I click the link "unauthorized"

LOL

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Alan what I want to know how to download a sequence In S5 let's say that I got from JR  not how to sequence new  by  me 

1 minute ago, Dennis Laff said:

Alan what I want to know how to download a sequence In S5 let's say that I got from JR  not how to sequence new  by  me 

If all the channels are the same, it's a simple copy /paste. Have both sequences open in S5, then copy from one to another.

If the channels are not the same, well... you should be able to copy, a mouth movement (in my example above) the "O" mouth movement from his to yours if you have a similar mouth movement. Make sense?

Alan...

Disregard, guess I was to fact for the link. I was finally able to view.

Def not as good as the animator. That's the best we can get?

Also here is the $10,000 ? I probably know the answer but.....

So this is all in pixels. Everything or is there something for everyone.

The way I am looking at this is that in order to still provide face sequences to the mass I will still have to sequence in S4 and if I am using S5 import (into S5) for myself? Is that correct or can we sequence non pixel lights as well.

Thank for the great videos and the answers.

Now I am wondering if K6CCC has pixel faces or reg lights.

JR

These faces are Led Rope lights cut to length. Mine use 7 traditional channels each. (it's all I had available) I have translucent colored vinyl over the white lights to create the colors ie red = lips, blue = eyes.

Alan...

Edited by default

3 minutes ago, default said:

These faces are Led Rope lights cut to length. Mine use 7 traditional channels each. (it's all I had available) I have translucent colored vinyl over the white lights to create the colors ie red = lips, blue = eyes.

Alan...

So now I am more lost.

The video above is not RGB. 

However you have to define the preview down to the type of lights, or were just informing me how you made the actual physical prop.

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

The video above is not RGB. 

However you have to define the preview down to the type of lights, or were just informing me how you made the actual physical prop.

Correct, the video (with the faces) are traditional channels (rope lights). You have to define the prop.

Give me a few and I will post, pic of how mine are setup

Here's a look at how my singing faces are made. I made it a video so you can pause to look at what you might want to see. Note the end of the video, Channel Summary shows all the channel layouts.

S1 = singer 1, S2 = Singer 2

Does this clear it up some?

Alan...

Its similar to assigning the channels in the vis and animator but with all of my faces....😟

Don't really know what to think ATM.

Can you send me a .lee file containing the faces? I can record how I convert and check the setup. Trying to explain this without pictures is tough

Alan...